Smoking around kids

TerryJ2

Wow, that's interesting. We can't do that in our state. We have "The Dillon Rule," which means that a municipality cannot pass a law that has not already been approved by the state legislature. It's an obnoxious, old law. I think it's been partially repealed... I mean, who CARES if you've got a country law saying outhouses have to be 20 ft apart when you live in the city? Some cities don't need other cities' laws.
The benefit is that if the legislature approves a law, then municipalies can implement it quickly through their own city councils and not have to worry about it being tested in court.
Or so it would seem. It's not foolproof, obviously. It often creates nuisance laws.

What I'm curious about is how Bangor enforces the non-smoking car law outside Bangor. Or is it meant simply as an attention-getter? You can get a ticket if you're within the city limits only? And if you park on the other side of the street, you're home free?

Just wondering.

sameold sameold

It really is quite a strange law. The only way that you can get in trouble from it is if you are stopped for something else, such as speeding, no seat belt, etc. The other cities surrounding Bangor have not passed the law and I don't think they are going to.
Bangor city officials say it is more for educating the offenders than anything else.
Very interesting though. It has only been in effect for a few months. They had a blip about it on the world news when it passed.