Snow? How much and how bad?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
husband went out to get more cough medicine...and a few other things to hold us over for a few days. There is a predicition for snow either today or tonight, but that isn't why he went out.

He said walmart was packed and they were running out of everything. Took him 3 hours to get in and out with just a short list.:faint: husband said everyone is talking about the big blizzard on the way. So I asked husband what the weather said....he said he hasn't found anything to indicate a blizzard in our area, really not even a bunch of snow.

Since I can't go to school anyway and husband really has no where to go.......I'm not the least bit worried about it for once.:D But it does seem odd that everyone else is expecting this huge storm. It wouldn't be the first time that husband was dead wrong. lol

My nursing instructor (same one who sent me home) called to say that the clinical meeting for today was cancelled due to snow. She was also checking to see how I was, which was in bed cuz I'm really not bouncing back like I should be at this point with the anitbiotics.:sick: We had maybe an inch and a half of unexpected snow last night. That kind of threw me. Why would they cancel the meeting for just an inch and a half of snow?? She said the college was closed? She also said not to expect it to be open tomorrow. hmmmm

Only good thing about school being closed tomorrow is that the pharm test would be post poned. lol So I wouldn't miss it and have to make it up afterall. (watch me cry over that one, NOT)

I'm soooo out of touch with what is going on outside of my little sick area. lol I think maybe I need to go take a look at the weather forecast.

So? Where are you and what are you expected to get? I always get a much more accurate picture of what's going on with stuff like this from people posting here on the board.

If you're in the path of the snow, stay warm and stay safe.

klmno

We're supposed to get a little (so they say) tomorrow evening/night but I'm a long distance away from you. I'm going to the store shortly because I need to anyway. I hope I don't run into a corwd and find empty shelves but that happens here even when they only call for a couple if inches.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I went to the store Monday, so we're good. I hope.

We had a message that 6-8 inches is expected. Of course, it is supposed to start after I get to work, so I get to drive home in it.

Around here, people forget how to drive in snow. It's snowed 4x since Christmas. Strangely enough, school had a 2-hr delay yesterday but I had to come to work on time.

So far I guess we've had about 2 inches total. Nothing like the Christmas storm of 2004 which dumped 25" on us in 24 hours, while Dad & I were trying to get to New Mexico and Mom just after Grandma passed.

I just wish snow wasn't cold.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
easy child said we're supposed to get the same as a total amount. I still haven't looked. lol But I know she keeps an eye on it because she has to drive in it. People around here drive like idiots with 2 inches of snow......some with just a dusting. You'd think it was something they'd never encountered before! And those with 4 wheel drive seem to be the worst about it. ugh!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We're supposed to get 6. Our big thing is the temps, tho. Dropping to -10- -15 in the next day, which means our chemicals won't work to keep the roads clear.

Personally, I say bring it. Its been FREEZING for 2 weeks. May as well have a decent amount of snow to go with it. Right now we just have 3 or 4 inches.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm nowhere near snow. Okay, well, if I drive about 45 miles up to the mountains there's a little bit of it! It's about 78 here today...Sending warm vibes and some of our winter sunshine to those of you in the frostbite zones!

tiredmommy

We received about 2 feet from Fri through Tues morning due to lake effect.

We can expect 3 - 5 inches with tomorrow's general snowfall through Friday, but higher amounts if we're lucky enough to find ourselves in a lake band. :rolleyes:

Kathy813

Staff member
Atlanta is supposed to get between 1/2 inch and 2 inches tomorrow evening. They have already announced early dismissal for some of the northern school districts for tomorrow afternoon.

You gotta love the south. :rofl:

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

~Kathy

donna723

We're supposed to get some snow but I have no idea when or how much because every report I see is different. It's supposed to get much colder after it snows. It got up to 30 today, warmer than it was supposed to get, so they've backed off a little and now they're not sure if it will snow everywhere. If it doesn't, I go to work - if it does, I'll be home on the sofa watching Oprah! I do NOT drive in it. Period! It gets bad here even with just a little snow because of all the hills and curving roads. It will melt a bit during the day and then re-freeze at night till the roads are slick as glass! My attitude has always been that I have only one car and only one butt and I am not willing to risk either one of them driving 32 miles to work and 32 miles home again when the roads are slick! As long as I have vacation days left, I will use them!

muttmeister

We're only supposed to get a couple more inches but they said tomorrow and Friday our HIGH temp may be 2 below 0 and that doesn't take into account the 40 mph winds we are supposed to have. Think I'll just hibernate till spring!

flutterby

Fly away!
We have about 3-4 inches on the ground, and we're supposed to get 3-6 inches total, starting tomorrow through Friday morning.

I'm just north of Columbus. The heavier snowfall is supposed to be further south in Ohio. Alberta Clipper meeting warm, moist air from the south or something.

We had a 2 hour delay on Monday which made no sense because they aren't plowing here - which is unusual, but then given the economy, maybe not. So, 2 hours later, there was still as much snow on the road. But, it was daylight. I dunno.

With this storm coming in, my road should get plowed. I have a school on either end, so we get plowed earlier. When they do plow.

skeeter

Lisa - last I heard was 3 - 6 inches. Starting about 9am Thursday morning and continuing through the day.

Then temps at 15 or below as highs Satuday and Sunday. I heard a prediction of clear but 12 degrees for the Bengals game on Saturday.

Of course, that could mean nothing or it could mean "The White Death"!!!

everywoman

I am chanting loudly---NO SNOW!!! We have exams Thursday and Friday. We start new classes on Monday. I don't want to have to reschedule exams because as MUCH as I LOVE my one little class of freshmen, I have been counting down the days until they're departure---which will happen on Friday.

They are predicting a dusting here---but even a dusting stops everything in its tracks. Ugh!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
No snow here, either, but lots of fog.

Aren't you guys famous for that Tule fog? Pretty thick stuff! We used to get something similar when I lived near the beach with my folks. It's a wetlands area which are prone to that kind of fog, too.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow. This snow seems to be going pretty far south.....even if it is just a dusting!

Skeeter........I don't trust weather people too much. Far too often they say we're getting flurries and we get totally dumped on. I know it's not an exact science, but one winter they were so awful about it (especially local channels) that I started expecting the opposite of anything they said. lol

I hate fog. I do ok in it.......but other drivers scare me to death in fog. Around here too many idiots attempt to "see" by turning on their brights..........No sense in it. We have a lot of low lying areas and ground fog is fairly common. sheesh

KTMom91

Yes, it's the Tule fog. The thick, disgusting stuff where you can't even see the nose of your car...and every year we have several people killed because they're going way too fast. You can blow through a red light because you get disoriented, and the fog's too heavy to see the light anyway. I hate the stuff. It's worse out in the boonies, but I hate being out in it at all.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I remember a few Christmases where the fog was so bad, I could stand across the street from our house and not be able to see the Christmas lights -- and I was worried that Santa wouldn't be able to find our house, because not even Rudolph's nose would work in THAT fog! :)

susiestar

Roll With It
When we lived in Cincy it seemed that every mention of flurries brought out hordes of people panicked about "white death from the sky". It was silly.

Here we are expecting a high of 8 degrees with LOTS of wind. Windchill is already colder than -20 and supposed to keep falling. The largest school system in the state, Oklahoma City Public, has closed schools for the week because the cold is so dangerous. Our schools are open, at least as of now.

thank you will be at home. husband is working a temp gig at the bookstore and must be there by 8, clocked in and ready to work. The bus stop is over 10 minutes away and the bus varies, day to day, by up to 30 minutes. His lungs will not handle the cold. This year the truant officer is more active than ever thanks to new laws. He can do what he wants. My kid is not going to get frostbite or ill on the way to a bus and my car does not work. Not that I am safe to drive with the current medications anyway.

Check your state laws. If you live outside the city limits here you have the right to keep a child home due to weather problems up to 10 extra days a year. This is because so many kids live on ranches or farms and don't have paved roads. thank you is not happy, but he will survive being home.

And the media player he ordered instead of a ds lite will be here sometime today! I am NOT looking forward to telling him it cannot go to school, LOL!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
There is a HUGE band of snow moving our way. I just checked the radar on weather.com and the edge seemed to be on us. So I poked my nose outside and sure enough, it's snowing. Yech.

Stang probably got it good already. Hopefully they will send us home from work early so I have extra time to get home before dark.