Snow? How much and how bad?

mstang67chic

Going Green
LOL Yep...it's the same front. And did you notice that it's folding back on itself on the northern portion? Yay.

It's snowing here and I'd say we've probably got a couple of inches so far. Our county's schools finally announced they were dismissing 2 hours early. Schools in neighboring counties announced in hours ago.....except for one. According to the time/temp recording we're supposed to get around 4 inches today with another inch overnight and into tomorrow. Normally we'll get between 1-2 inches off of the prediction (either way) but I'm guessing we'll get at least what was predicted.

Susie, funny you mentioned Cinci....I just got off the phone with a friend of husband's a few minutes ago. He's in Cinci now (lives there but is from here) and was complaining. He said they got a whopping 2 inches and people are freaking out. They have no idea what to do with it. He's alternating betwee laughing at them and getting irritated driving around people who aren't used to it.

I haven't been out today and don't plan on it. difficult child's night school was cancelled so if nothing else comes up....I'm not going anywhere. Our street has yet to see a plow but that's not surprise. If it keeps up like this, I won't expect one till tomorrow sometime. We're right off a main street but our street doesn't go anywhere important and is only a few blocks long.

husband isn't thrilled about driving in this (1/2 hour normally to work) but he's been excited about snow in general. THIS year he has a snow blower. I think I'll hire him out.

*blinks* WOW. There wasn't a plow attached but a city truck just drove by. I THINK he was scattering salt. I'm impressed.

This is one thing I love about living in town. Getting 4-6 inches of snow hoovers, yes. BUT....I'm in town. I can get to the store fairly easy if I need to. I don't need to drive for miles on koi-y country roads and risk sliding in the ditch just to get milk and bread.....as if there were any left on the shelves but you know what I mean. Heck....if nothing else and as long as they are open...I can get almost anything I would need at the convenience store around the corner. They even started selling booze lately so I'm covered! LOL (Just beer and wine but there's got to be SOMETHING I like)

Be careful going home for those of you still at work or running errands. Hunker down and enjoy it if you can or find distractions from difficult child's (both kids and hubbies). I've actually found myself a hidey hole if I need it!!!! husband's niece and boyfriend moved into an aparment that is 2 blocks down and 3 houses over from us. It's actually the front part of a house and the back apartment is empty and unlocked. If nothing else....I can hoof it over there, take some books, pillows/cushions and hide. The power is on there so I'll have heat and lights. LOL Hmmm.....for a joke, that is starting to sound better and better. :bigsmile:

Mom2oddson

I love my rain, I love my rain, I love my rain....

Thanks for the reminder! After reading about all the snow and cold temperatures, I'll stop complaining about the rain.

Of course, easy child isn't liking the weather reports at all. He's heading back to Minnesota for College on Sunday. He got acclimated to our weather again. He was complaining about being cold at 40 degrees. His body is in for a shock!

Star*

call 911........call 911
ARMAGEDON! ARMAGEDON! Everyone here has seen that Day After Tomorrow Movie and I swear our shelves are BARE.....(snort)

We MAY get a dusting...MAY......it's 45 right now - practically Spring for an Ohioan. But in SC you would think the end of days was coming here.

There is ......NO FIREWOOD. People are selling green, non-burnable firewood and people are getting ripped off left and right. Price of gas went up 08 cents overnight. The shelves have very little bread, peanut butter, canned goods are flying off like Harry Potters broom stick. It's insane.

We took precautions a week ago. We have water, candles, batteries, flashlights, generator, electric cords.....extra blankets. Stocked up on food. I mean it's not like Winter hasn't come every year for 45 years. (Slap head)

Just makes me want to get out and yell - ARMAGEDON. lol

(Maybe it's a Southern thing? yelling that?) Tell 'em John Boy sent ya...he'll know what I mean. :tongue:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
45 and people are cleaning off the shelves? LOL! That is so bad. They closed our installation but we haven't been given the okay to leave yet...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OMG I haven't done doughnuts in years!!! I do go out the first snow of the season and re-acclimate myself to the proper response to a slide, but otherwise...

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'm positively shocked!!!! A plow went down my street!!!! I honestly didn't expect to see one till tomorrow.

:slap:

Of course they just plowed away the salt that was spread earlier but hey.....they tried.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I was reading an article in the paper about them salting but not plowing till later. Wondering why they would want to plow away the salt, when they complain about how much the salt costs.

Hmm.

Mom2oddson

At least they USE salt. It was big news this year when Seattle decided that they would use salt if it snowed. They didn't last year....it's bad for the fish.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
My street hasn't seen a plow, we're at about 2-3 inches already. Looks pretty. And is still snowing hard. Betsy did her beautiful imitation of a seal this afternoon while playing in it. lol

I'm pretty sure our schools didn't go past lunch, but I was still in bed so can't be positive. I know this morning around 9am when I was up to take cough medication the streets were clear and it hadn't yet begun to snow.

People crack me up. Starbie I was :rofl: all thru your post. I can guarantee you that sister in law will be making doughnuts on the way to work tonight. lol Having grown up in California he hates the cold but adores the snow. He's probably got Darrin out playing on the 4 wheelers right now.:D (Darrin looks like Charlie Brown decked out of a blizzard when they play in the snow, too cute!)

Both easy child and Nichole will be driving on highways to get home in it. easy child has a 4 wheel drive Jeep and will be fine as long as she can avoid all the other idiots and their antics. And she worked an extra 4 hrs yesterday so she gets to come home early today by 4 hours. Nichole I know is nervous about driving in it in her little Geo Metro. Ok, the kid is scared to death. But I told her to remember what she was taught and that her little Geo will take her where she needs to go. They are great in the snow. I hope she calls me when she gets home tonight. easy child always calls me on her way home from work and we talk until she reaches her front door. It's how she de-stresses from work before greeting sister in law and the boys.

Molly and Betsy are happily chomping on the only 2 rawhide bones left in walmart. Who on earth "stocks up" on rawhide bones for a winter snow storm?? LMAO! husband was upset because he had to get them bones twice the size of normal, and more expensive cuz that's all they had left.:tongue:

I have my candles, my camping lanterns, my gas stove. If for some reason we loose power I will also have all my kids piled into my house trying to get warm. ugh. I told easy child to buy a gas stove, not electric! And she didn't get the chimney of her fireplace inspected and cleaned.

mstang67chic

Going Green
At least they USE salt. It was big news this year when Seattle decided that they would use salt if it snowed. They didn't last year....it's bad for the fish.

Um....huh? The salt is bad for the fish that live in the ocean that is made of salt water?

*blinks*

Or am I missing something?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Salt that goes on the street is really a chemical compound. It's rock salt. Not the same salt found in water. It's bad for people too. :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Around here they use some sort of potassium chloride spray stuff beforehand and then the rock salt after. If you've ever looked at the rock salt they use, it's incredibly dirty. I'm not surprised it's bad for you.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The salt they use on roads is NOT the same stuff as the salts in saltwater for fish and other critters. That is actually a bunch of different chemicals that are made up of various salts. (salts are what you get when an alkaline substance bonds with an acid one).

Wide areas of the earth were once covered by immense, very salty shallow seas. They evaporated over time, leaving behind a mixture of salts, organic compounds, hydrocarbons, etc.

in addition to the stuff being bad for ocean life in that way, it is very often contaminated with various metal salts which are deadly.

Ocean animals for the most part, are extremely sensitive to the exact salinity of their environment. This is part of the reason many species are restricted to such small areas of the oceans.

Salt is so potent a toxin in fresh water that people who keep freshwater fish use a bath made of a mild solution of aquarium salts to treat various skin injuries, infections, and even some internal problems such as diseases of the gills or oral cavity. (check out how exactly to do this for the species you have and sometimes temperature adjustments and stuff are needed as well)

Much of our economy up here is based on the fact that the WI River runs right through, and we are surrounded by lakes and what you Southerners call "sloughs" (pronounced "sloos"). Our resident and highly prized game and table fish are highly sensitive to changes in their environment and salt is a killer.

For that reason, and because it is very often too cold for rock salt to work, we use sand and only go to using salt if it warms up enough for it to be effective. I would much rather drive on gritty ice than on snow that has melted and frozen slick.

DDD

Zip! Nada! ;)

BUT the temperature went down to 28 and the citrus people/strawberry people are in a frenzy trying to protect the crop. We, meanwhile, are
miserable "thin blooded" Southerners. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
easy child's friend stopped at walmart today to pick up a few things before work. She reported that people are now acting like the end of the world is upon us. They were not only fighting over the scant items left on the shelves, but were stealing items out of other people's shopping carts as they were trying to shop!!!

WTH is wrong with people?? LMAO!

DDD

A real woman rolls with the blows while holding her head high and praying that life will get easier as she struggles to have
dignity and self-respect. DDD

flutterby

Fly away!
I need easy child to shovel the driveway so I can go get cat food. That's all I'm worried about.

We've gotten 3-4 inches so far. School didn't release early and if anything we'll have a 2 hour delay in the morning. We're supposed to get another inch or two, but we're also supposed to have some wind, so we'll have some drifting.

Nancy

I don't even know how much snow we have but it's a lot. Lisa I kept telling husband that you said there was only a dusting in southern Ohio as we drove to NC and he said I must have heard wrong because we saw a lot of snow all through WV. It was in the teens in NC the past few evenings and isn't getting much better. Here in northern Ohio it'sin the low 20's during the day and teens at night. It's been snowing since around noon today and the roads are a mess. I am so thankful we got home before the snow started again.

Nancy

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We got about 3 inches over the night last night, to add to the 4 or so we already had. Got in my car this morning, backed out and... HA! I'm stuck at home for the moment. I live on a very slight hill. Cannot get up it - even with front wheel drive.

No school for the kids... Even the buses could not make it up my slippery slope, anyway...