Snow? How much and how bad?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nancy, when I told you we only had a dusting we did...........then wham. It started snowing here earlier than expected. We've got quite a bit and it's still snowing pretty hard. We still haven't been plowed. Nor have they plowed the alley needed to access the mentally disabled group home, which they never ignore.

We've already got our expected amount....we hit that last night. I wonder what they're saying for today.

tiredmommy

We received 2 to 3 inches overnight. The snow is supposed to taper off during the day and pick up again tonight. Our schools don't close or delay.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
TM - That's because you guys are used to it!

We're wimps. I remember living in Texas as a child - the whole city shut down totally for an inch...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OK, I take part of that back. Nancy - I know you live where you get "lake effect" snow... You all are not wimps.

Nancy

Lol step2, easy child was just talking about how NC shuts down for a dusting of snow and everyone flocks to walmart where they have a sign that says "limit 5 gallons milk per person". I thought that was funny since we don't rush out to the stores here for anything. We just wait til the next day when the plows make a path.

I just shoveled a path to the front door and a path for fuzzbutt to go out in. It looks so pretty with snow hanging on all the branches.

Nancy

Kathy813

Staff member
Our schools are closed today, too. We got about 1/2 inch of snow but the real problem was the roads. The 1/2 inch that we did get froze when the temperature dropped rapidly. The weather people described it as a "flash freeze."

So the roads were terrible this morning with several multiple car pile-ups on the interstates. The neighborhood roads were sheets of ice.

Nancy, having grown up in NY, I laughed when I moved here and saw the snow panic for the first time. However, in the southerners' defense, if they waited until the snow plows came, they would never get to leave their houses. There are not enough snow plows or sand trucks in the metro area to get to the neighborhood streets so everyone just waits it out until the snow or ice melts (usually in a day or two luckily).

There were some bad ice storms in the past, though, where people got stuck in their homes for a week without food or electricity. I think that is why southerners rush to the store . . . just in case. LOL

~Kathy

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
December 2000 I was in Tulsa OK with xH. They had the worst winter storm they had had in about 20 years. Over a foot of snow topped with ice. I was out and about, thinking it wasn't so bad, but NO ONE else was. They spread sand out - goody, iced mud. Works well for traction, but not so much in that kind of weather.

The next July when I left there were still piles of sand all over the roads. It was rather humorous.

I was perfectly comfortable, though. And that was NOTHING like what Nancy has right now!

Nancy

My Mom often told me about the big snow storm of 1950, the year I was born. I was about 4 months old and a foot of snow was dumped on the area. My Dad had to walk to the store to get me milk. She said the city stopped that day and for several days after.

I know you're right Kathy. Of course the areas that rarely ever get snow can't possibly be prepared for it. It would be a waste of money and city finances to buy snow plows and stockpile salt just in case.

We could get up to 6 more inches according to the reports. There isn't much room to put it anymore. The forecast shows snow for the next four days.

Nancy

DammitJanet

Where Nancy's Dtr is living in NC, they actually do get snow pretty often. When I lived near there for 2 years we got fairly nice sized snow storms both years. Now we didnt get snowed in for the entire winter but we had like two or three snow storms each winter. Maybe 5 or 6 inches or more each time. Enough to close the schools and for the kids to go sledding. Of course, snow does melt faster down here I think. We tend to get snow and then our temps will go up into the 40s or even the 50s.

Last year we got 5 inches here. It stayed about 2 days...lol. Perfect!

donna723

That's the way it usually is here. We get two or three snows a year but because the temps go up and down so fast, it's usually gone in a day or so. It's very unusual for it to be like it has been this last week - it hasn't gone above freezing for a week, even during the day! It's not so bad now that I live in town where they keep the roads cleared, but when I lived in the country we could be stranded for days, with even just a little bit of snow with all those hills and narrow curvey roads. It would melt a bit during the day and then re-freeze on the roads at night, slick as glass. Where I used to live, there were a few shady spots on the road that stayed slick a week after it had melted off everywhere else. I had the sherifffs office and the wrecker service on my speed dial because three or four times a year, some idiot would run off the road!