So at dinner, my difficult child turns to me...

Fran

Former desparate mom
and asks me, with a straight face, "Mom, hypothetically, if I brought home a Frankenstein monster, would you let him live here?"
Silence....husband and I look at each other trying to figure out what that all means.
Finally, I said "why?" He just wondered what I would do or say.
Really, I'm just trying to get my head around the comment. Is difficult child asking for something behind his question? I have no idea.

I draw the line at Frankenstein monsters but anyone else is a possibility. :frankenstein:

Why "hypothetically"? LOL. husband and I cracked up.
difficult child still has the ability to leave me speechless. :crazy2:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
difficult child 1 used to ask ridiulous hypothetical questions. Usually involving alien basketball teams pitted against Michael Jordon back in his glory days....

What if....

Seriously...I'm sure Frank could hang in the broom closet if he needs a place to stay....

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Okay, so it's not just MY difficult child that comes out with questions like this! What a RELIEF!

Maybe he's going to bring home the BRIDE of Frankenstein, Fran! :couple:Then what will you do, mom? Can I keep her? Huh? Huh? Can I?

donna723

Uh oh! This isn't going to turn into one of those "It followed me home ... can I keep it?" moments, is it?

Fran

Former desparate mom
Donna, I wondered if he was going to spring a new addition too.
gcvmom, I wondered about a "bride" too. LOL.
difficult child always has related to the Beast in the Disney movie Beauty and the Beast and he absolutely loves
superheroes. Who knows what he was thinking.
All those thoughts were spinning through my head while we sat in stunned silence.

Shari, if my difficult child was into sports, the alien basketball thing would have been a question my difficult child would have
had a conversation with your difficult child about. I'm sure it would be in great detail.

I try hard to not treat difficult child as a child and give him the respect a young man deserves but this sort of conversation
reminds me that he thinks differently.
It was a very funny moment.

busywend

Wow - what is running through their brains, huh??

I wondered what the 'real' meaning of the question was going to turn out to be, too. But, I guess we already had the real meaning.

LittleDudesMom

Hmmm....

It really reinforces a thought that's been running around in my head for years - we need to write a book! We need to publish all these great "difficult child moments"!

By the way, what was your answer, hypothetically of course?

Sharon

trinityroyal

I LOVE this question! What a blast.

Really, I'm just trying to get my head around the comment. Is difficult child asking for something behind his question? I have no idea.

My guess is that he just wanted to know. He wants to be prepared in the event that he ever meets a Frankenstein monster. Now he knows whether or not he should invite the monster home to dinner or for a sleep-over. I hope this doesn't sound flippant, because I don't mean it to. I think that, because it's harder for those on the spectrum to interpret the world overall, there's a need to rehearse things and develop contingency plans for all sorts of situations that just might crop up. To add to the confusion, there's less understanding of what's plausible vs. what's implausible.

Little easy child asks me this sort of thing all the time:
"Mummy, if I won a contest and the prize was a Toyota FJ Cruiser AND a driver's license AND they would change the laws for me so that I would be allowed to drive even though I'm only eight years old, would you let me park the FJ Cruiser in the garage, or would I have to leave it in the driveway?"

Questions like this occur to me all the time, but over the years I've just learned to think them inside my head without saying them out loud.

Trinity

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Fran, do you think there is even a remote possibility that difficult child was referring to himself and testing you to see if you would accept him as "Frankenstein?" I'm remembering a few conversations that he and I had where he mentioned how he identifies with The Beast...could he possibly be identifying as Frankenstein, too?

Suz

Fran

Former desparate mom
Who knows Suz. We have talked with him about the Beast analogy. It's a good visual since The beast finds the will
to change through his own determination and personal growth.
Besides they have similar table manners. LOL. We have been clear that we will not turn our backs on him no matter how
frustrated any of us are. I do think he was just checking as trinity explained.

Marguerite

I think the kid question that left me most speechless came from my 4 year old nephew when he asked his mother, "Who made God?"

Marg

busywend

Perhaps he was thinking about how nice his mom has been to so many people & animals that she took into her home. He was wondering if you had a line in the sand about who/what you would take in. Just thinking.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Wendy, you are kind and probably right in terms of lots of different living arrangements in our home.
rofl. husband once said that he never knew who would be at the table for dinner. Fortunately, he is a good sport.
Maybe difficult child was wondering where the line is. He is a good hearted young man and probably wants to know
where the line is for himself also.

Marguerite, I was wondering the same thing. : )