So confused...20 yr old woke up in ER

Copabanana

You love her and keep paying for college,she needs that for her future, you must.
The thing is this: is the end ever really worth sacrificing the means?

If in the process of obtaining that degree your child is compromised, their safety compromised, degraded, learning things about life that can destroy, is it worth it?

Let me say it another way. A college degree is a piece of paper that opens doors. But it is something that can be gotten at any point in life. It's absence can always be remedied.

I do not say that lightly. I have an advanced degree. A profession. I know it changed everything for me.

Except, there were things I did while in University when I was young that almost killed me. By accident I survived.

There is a college in New Jersey, Edison State. Their diploma is as good any other, except the top schools. It can all be done in absentia. Online for 10k or less.

What are we as parents telling our child by giving them the message that that piece of paper, a diploma, is worth their life or soul? Or our own?

COPA

New Leaf

The thing is this: is the end ever really worth sacrificing the means?
If in the process of obtaining that degree your child is compromised, their safety compromised, degraded, learning things about life that can destroy, is it worth it?
It is a hard question, our kids are being pushed to go to college, not everyone can afford this, I know we cannot. My youngest girl will be 21, she is delaying her college until she figures out what she really wants to do. She is unsure. My friend ended up yanking her son, it was one big party for him. HE is working and supporting himself right now. Perhaps in the future he will rethink things... I found an interesting article....
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-couch/201008/parents-college-freshmen-dont-let-go-too-fast
What are we as parents telling our child by giving them the message that that piece of paper, a diploma, is worth their life or soul? Or our own?
I agree, Copa, this needs to be explored. For sure there are many kids going to college who end up partying and displaying very risky behaviors. There are also others who do just fine.
I also watched a program on college graduates who have huge student loans to pay off and are depressed over starting their careers with such a large debt.

RNMom, How are you? Have you figured out what your course is for your girl? IS there anyone at the college who can help? I hope so. It is worrisome, for sure when our d cs are so unafraid of the risks they take.

I hope you have found some solutions.

(((HUGS)))
leafy