So excited, and a bit nervous too

D

DavidH

Tonight at 7pm I get to pick up Justin from Residential Treatment Center (RTC) for his first 24 hour pass!!!!

It is funny I am sure he will be a handful today all exicted about me arriving to get him.. (But I will hear nothing about it, it is in there hands)

I of course am excited as well.. but on the other hand a bit nervous as silly as it sounds it is almost like picking up a stranger and having him spend the night.. he has not been here overnight since July 30th of 2007

His room is takin apart no bed in it nothing in it at all... (I told him will have new furniture upon discharge, stuff he can take when he leave home, not the younger kid furnoture he had)

So not sure where he will sleep...

Well I will let everyone know how it went on wednesday night or thursday

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Let us know how it goes! How very exciting.

Sending good thoughts that its a smooth and successful visit!

Fran

Former desparate mom
David, just a suggestion, don't overwhelm difficult child with stuff. Don't overindulge with his favorite foods and offers to buy new furniture. Keep your eye on the goal of difficult child changing behavior. This requires parents to change behavior too. He has to show improvement and gradually resume normal behavior.
Don't turn into a Disney Dad. Just fun,indulge, fun.
He is trying to change. It's only fair that you not use parental behaviors that didn't work in the past.
Just my .02. I don't really know much of your story but I had a son in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) for 2 yrs and visits were very tightly controlled to not distract from the goal at hand.

David,

I am truly happy for you and Justin. I hope he sees that these are baby steps towards the bigger goal.

I hope the visit goes well. If it does not, I hope it is at least accomplished.

Enjoy your son. :)

nvts

Enjoy yourself, remember: don't make it any different than if he was always home. You don't want to set up a false image of what it's going to be like when he moves back.

If you usually do mac and cheese and a movie, stick to it.

Have fun!

Beth

meowbunny

Another one saying make it as close to "normal" as possible. Since he's visiting on a school day, try to make it as close to real as possible -- meal times scheduled around school times (and every day food -- not the good, happy, holiday type meals); bedtime either camp or school time; activities geared toward what you would normally do on a weekday, maybe even have the camp send some homework for him to do. The more real it is, the better you'll be able to gauge how he is doing. 24 hours isn't long but it's a start.

In the meantime, how are you doing? Depression getting any better? Drinking cut down (or, better yet, quit)? This is the time for you to get yourself together. The stronger, healthier, happier you are, the better you are as a parent.

Good luck on this visit. Hope it is a whopping success!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I like the idea of no furniture in the bedroom now - it gives them that little nudge of insecurity that - GOSH if I don't do well here - my stuff is gone and Dad isn't playing.

I LOVE the idea of telling him "later" maybe as a graduation gift you will go out together and buy new adult furniture - BRAVO

Have a good time - take lots of pictures they grow so fast