So frustrated

JJJ

We just got a letter today from DCFS that our July and future adoption subsidy checks will be 50% of what they had been. I pulled out our contracts and there is no wiggle room outside of a 2-year review which could have the subsidy change based on changes to the child's or parents' status, no loophole for incompetent government.

I called DCFS and their response was basically "tough" and "call your legislators".

The Cook County Public Guardian's office is on their way into court for the hearing on their filing for an injunction to stop funding cuts as they pertain to the current wards in their county. I have the name of one of the attorney's to call tomorrow morning to see how it went (although I'm sure it will be in the papers) and to see if she knows if anyone is going to file on behalf of children on adoption subsidies and foster and foster-adopted children in the rest of the state.

Doctor's appointments this afternoon followed by calls to the legislators. Ugh.

I may not be going to Ohio :(

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Oh my gosh. I can't even begin to think of what you must be feeling.
I have nothing but my support to offer. I can't pretend to know the loopholes of our messed up system at this point.

I will be thinking of you and your family.
I wont think about the trip just yet.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
JJJ--

These cuts are across the board and across this country.....it is maddening to see this type of budget slashing affecting childen and families! (Don't worry though, your government representatives (of both parties) are still earning their hefty salaries and THEIR health insurance and government benefits remain intact--so as you can see, the people they care about most are well taken care of....it's the rest of us un-deserving taxpayers that are being affected and SHAME ON US for trying to live outside of our means and care for extra children!)

Sorry....didn't mean to get up on my soap-box....

I definitely hear you, though--don't know what to do about it--but I hear you.

--DaisyF

house of cards

Unbelievable, the law suits I can see resulting from this can't save the state $$$. These people can't have any sense, They must be counting on the fact that parents will come forward to adopt the kids without full disclosure, with no support if/when serious and costly mental health issues come up and now, knowing that the adoption subsidy is "optional"!! There is no way I can afford 5 extra kids without the subsidy. I repeat, this is unbelievable.

susiestar

Roll With It
I HATE THIS!!!

Sadly, the trivial amount saved by this cut would barely dent many of the defense and military budgets. I know our soldiers need support, and I support them a thousand percent, but they won't see this money either. The big defense contractors should have this cut from them - many of those contracts are so overbid it isn't funny.

To an adopted child and their family this could be the difference between eating or getting medical, while the HUGE pork-barrel issues where the legislators pack on as many irrelevant items to each budget might not even notice the cuts.

As to our dear legislators, I bet that not even those who served a term or three and got out have had THEIR insurance cut. If you become a federal legislator you get top notch insurance FOR LIFE. You KNOW that is still intact, while they ahve to take $$$ from our kids and the elderly and low income people.

I am sickened by this. Just sickened. That they can just send a letter cutting the CONTRACT because they figure it will be cheaper to defend the suits that are brought and they know many people will not have the funds to get an attorney and take legal action. This is reminiscent of the car makers deciding not to change a flawed auto design that would end up killing people because the change would cost them more than the lawsuits they would face.

If it will help to have people outside your state email or sign petitions, let me know. Just point me to them!

JJJ

I was suppose to work out with some friends but I just couldn't go tonight. If these cuts aren't reversed I have to drop out of the Wed night workouts anyways as we won't be able to afford it -- especially when I can walk for free. husband seems mystified why I'm in tears. His logic is we can't do anything about it so we tighten our belts, do what we can and make do. I'm usually able to find the bright side of things and logically I know we will do the best we can with what we have, but right now it just hurts to look at my kids and see how far they have come and realize that the rug is about to be pulled out from under them -- and having to find a way to minimize the impact on them.

judi

I too live in IL and the subsidy is being cut to $250/month - hardly enough for food let alone transportation, clothing, etc..

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
I am SO sorry to hear that - it's just not right!

I just don't even understand the logic behind that? I am so sorry for the whole situation. I would get a megaphone and plant myself outside a legislators office.

It really is a sin!

Dara

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
None of this makes sense; none of it. So far I've not been hit by cuts to my adoption subsidies (half goes for wm's keeping in the group home). If it happens wm may end up home (UGLY!), even though he's court ordered to the group home.

JJJ, I'll be right on your shoulder as your fight this. I hope a group of parents get together with their difficult children & head to the capital to protest. The new agencies need to be out there to see the impact it will have on families who have taken these children into their homes.

Christy

That is really unfair. I didn't even know such a thing could happen but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. We receive an adoption subsidy in Maryland and knowing the impact a cut would make on our budget, I can imagine what you are going through. I hope someone steps up and successfully advocates for the needs of adoptive families who are struggling with so many issues already.

(((hugs))))
Christy

WSM

How can this save money. Now they are going to have to spend on legal fees to defend their breaking the contract. Do you think parents will just roll over and accept it? Not many. And lawyers will sense a case and recruit. A lawsuit challenge is inevitable.

And if they lose, the govt will have to pay arrearages.

And some parents will have no choice but to reverse the adoption. It's heartbreaking, but if you can't do an adequate job because of lack of funds and are liable for the result (morally, if not legally), what choice will some have?

And the reduction guarantees that many families will have to apply for food stamps, educational vouchers, welfare, etc...

I'm so sorry, this is just wrong.