So, husband took difficult child out driving for the first time.

mstang67chic

Going Green
They just pulled in the drive. I'll pause while I wait to see the look on husband's face when they walk in.

doo do doo do doo doo dooo.

Well, no blood seems to have been shed. They went to the middle school and drove around the parking lot, practiced a couple of types of parking. husband said he did ok but had a habit of overcompensating when parking next to a curb. He did say that it's hard to teach how to parallel park without other cars. (well DUH! LOL)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Maybe he could try parallel parking by bring his own "cars" with him next time. Use something like two grocery bags filled with rags or towels and have him try to park in between them (unless you own a pair of orange cones)? Or buy a pair of those blow-up kiddie punching bags that are weighted on the bottom... those might be easier to see as they are taller. Definitely safer to have an "oops" with those than a real car :)

Just a thought...

meowbunny

Wardrobe boxes work well -- they're high enough to be seen and cause no damage to anything. I found cones, etc. to be too low and really make it difficult for first-timers. I think my favorite was watching my neighbor's son trying to park in front of the house. One wardrobe box was crushed flat. The front one went flying into my neighbor's house on the side (and these weren't small yards).

Star*

call 911........call 911
NO NO NO NO NO>>>>>>

OMG

YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TELL US ALL THAT BEFORE

BEFORE he GETS ON THE ROAD......

congratulations.......

mstang67chic

Going Green
Whoopsie.....sorry Star. I don't think, though, that difficult child actually got to drive on the road. I'm pretty sure husband drove there and back while difficult child only got parking lot time. While sometimes I do wonder about husband's IQ, I don't think he would be stupid enough to turn difficult child loose on the streets for his first time behind the wheel! LOL

Star*

call 911........call 911
FYI - Dude got his "permit" on Friday -

He was so excited.....called......SO excited (I'm still not over the dog thing) but just bouncing off the walls - so he says "Lemme talk to dad." and I hand the phone over - and then THE KING OF ALL BURTING BUBBLES....says "Uh huh, Uh huh.....yeah that's great. When you get someone that will actually allow you to drive their car let me know so I can stay off the road." - dead silence....then "But I though.." and DF cut him off and said "THOUGHT I WOULD TAKE YOU DRIVING? I've SEEN YOU PLAY THAT PS2 game - NO WAY IN HE&&."

And that was the end of that phone call......

KTMom91

Yup...

I'd parked the truck there because it was street sweeper day earlier in the week, and hadn't moved it. Miss KT backed out and caught the stop sign pole with the edge of the bumper and continued backing. Fortunately, the pole twisted loose from the bumper, and she put the truck back to get it off the street. No damage to the truck...hooray for good old solid Detroit steel!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Most Home Depots and likes have parallel spots at the VERY back of their lots. That is how we taught easy child, now difficult child 2, to parallel park. Now, if *I* could figure it out, I'd be good. I will literally drive blocks away to find a regular parking spot.

Abbey

trinityroyal

...and then there was the time that I took difficult child to the Go Kart track.
In the space of 2 laps he:
- ran 2 other Go Karts off the road and into the tire bumpers
- nearly ran me off the road
- spun out
- got benched for half his time by the track supervisor

I decided at that moment that difficult child is never ever EVER going to get his driver's license. Well, maybe when he's 50 or so.