So I come home today

klmno

after another visit by the owner to get another estimate for refinishing the floor and find the back door unlocked, lights on (again), ceiling fan off, blinds open, and my tv/stand moved. I'm out of town for work next week and chances are they'll be by for some reason then- what happens if they leave the back door unlocked and someone walks right in the house? Also, the screen door wasn't latched- what happens if it storms and the door blows off? Have I mentioned how I feel about these people?

DDD

I'm ignorant when it comes to lessor/lessee relationships. As you know I am not one to fight unnecessary battles.
BUT...I "think" I would mail a certified letter to both the agent and the owner and simply state the facts. "Today I came home to find x, y, and z. My first thought was to call the police in fear that I was the target of a burlary attempt. I have come to believe, however, that you or one of your representatives are responsible for the diarray. Please be aware that my personal safety and the safety of my pets is of foremost importance. Therefore please consider this notification that any future visits must be prearranged with me. I'm sure you understand."

They are abusing their rights and violating your right to feel safe and secure in your home. DDD

InsaneCdn

Therefore please consider this notification that any future visits must be prearranged with me
... and that any unusual or unsafe conditions that occur as a result of future visits, will result in the police being notified.

T

TeDo

I would do exactly what DDD and Insane said. They ARE abusing their rights.

klmno

I think I'll call an attny and see if they are doing anything yet that I have legal rights on. An attny might tell me over the phone if they think I'd need to hire them if it's illegal or warrants a nasty letter from an attny. I don't know the owner's address or phone number. I only have the owner's rep's info. That is why it has been so difficult to find out if the troule between the rep and me started with the owner or the rep. Now I think it;'s both. I don't even know which one came by today- I was just given notice that someone would be here for another floor finishing estimate. Who knows what the rep is telling the owner.

InsaneCdn

I believe there should be some sort of "due dlilgence" requirement on the part of the owner and/or rep - things like lights left on are one thing, but... doors UNLOCKED? That should be one of your key points to an attny.

klmno

I called an attny. He said to write the letter myself to document this. If the watching the house continues, or watching me continues, or there is one thing damaged as a result of their rumuging or leaving doors unlocked or unlatched, then go to the magistrate and have charges filed. He said it was on too much of a fine line right now, especially with being at the end of the lease, for him to be able to prove anything as an attny.

Here's what is scarey though- I think they are doing everything they can to try to come back on me for these floors and I wouldn't put much past the rep or owner at tthis point. It a storm comes thru and blows the screen door off or the house is vandalized while I'm out of town and it's due to them not locking a door, how can I prove that they are the ones who left it unlocked and that it wasn't that way when I left?

klmno

Can the owner's rep be reported to the BBB for something like this and would it actually be posted on the website if so? (After I'm moved out and this is all over, of course.)

InsaneCdn

how can I prove that they are the ones who left it unlocked and that it wasn't that way when I left?

No proof, of course... but all of those details will already be in your letter to them. Which will come before any problems happen. The sequence of events provides "some" paper trail.

keista

If the owner's rep has a business (I would assume they do have a business set up) then yes, you can file a complaint with the BBB.

DammitJanet

Are you documenting all conversations with the rep through email or certified mail? Email at least provides proof that you were in contact and what you both talked about.

donna723

Could it be that she's just letting the workmen in the house and then leaving instead of staying with them while they made their estimates? If so, these people could be wandering all over your house, going through your things. And sooner or later one of them would need to use the bathroom, open up that door, and let your dogs out!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
If you go to the site Property Shark.com and put in your address, there is a good chance you can get the owners name and address (its all pulled from Tax Rolls and Public Records - its free to join

Marcie

klmno

Yes, DJ

I sent a written letter to owner's rep in August and did include a paragraph that if anyone came in while I wasn't here or hadn't taken my dogs out of the house that I would take NO responsibility if someone got hurt but I would pursue legal action if my dogs got out and got hurt or lost. I think I'm exercising due diligence if the owner won't schedule outside my work hours and needs to come by for someone to look at hardwood floors and I put my dogs in the bathroom, where there aren't wood floors. She apparently brought a plumber in- why I don't know- but had I known a plumber was coming, I don't know that I'd put the dogs in the bathroom. Really, my dogs wouldn't hurt a fly- a hamster, yes, but not a fly. LOL! Howver, you never know how a dog might act to a total stranger walking in on them and some "strangers" will instigate trouble with a dog. Plus, the rep has two pre-school aged twins that are rambuctious and if the dogs are in the bathroom upstairs and a small schild opened the door, the dog jumps around, the kid could end up tumbling down the stairs.

Right now I'm writing difficult child and giving him the riot act about what it's going to take to live with me and get into college or...well, the sink or swim talk, I guess. I'll start on the letter to the rep next. It will include the previous "complaints" even though they have been documented via email or her website already. I'm going to list them all out in bullet format and I tend to think it will make the unprofessional approach very obvious. Then, I'll wait until this is over and send a copy to the BBB.

klmno

Great idea, Marcie! Thanks!

Donna, these are people who got so concerned that a window ac "didn't look right" that the owner had to come and check on it and they both got very concerned about whether or not I was taking due care to prepare for the hurricane and wanting to come by because they are so concerned for the house. Yet, they leave the screen door wide open and the back door unlocked?? If they had come by and found that I had done that, I would have heard a lot of koi about it.

Star*

call 911........call 911
YOU are Soooooooooooooo much nicer than I would be. SWEAR...........I would set up a camera....and even if it was NOT recording......I would plug it in, and point it at the door. I would ALSO put a BIG huge UGLY note on my door that would say ------

TO ANYONE entering the property WITHOUT prior permission-------I WILL file charges with the local magistrate - you must give me XX notice either in writing or via phone......my number has been given and I am tired of feeling violated - I have contacted an attorney, and I will proceed with prosecution should my wishes not be respected.

Star*

call 911........call 911
OH and as far as proof?

IN Front of EVERY DOOR before you leave in the morning? DUST with baby powder or carpet fresh or flour..........do this OUTSIDE too......and under each window? Take a broom and sweep the dirt then check for footprints. THEN hide the baby powder OR mix them - so that it's not something someone can READILY buy at the dollar store.......and reapply. Like Carpet fresh AND babypowder with GLITTER.....then vacuum up. And lock your vacuum up, so if they DO walk in it and leave footprints? They cant use YOUR vacuum.

ALSO you can put a thin.THIN piece of tape at the top of the doors.....or a hair...(your hair if you wet it) and stick it to the door with spit......IF you come home and that hair is gone? Or the tape is broken? You know someone opened your door.

Outside..........If you put a plant like someone knocked it over on the steps.....people won't think ANYthing about stepping in the dirt........and voila --------footprints......