So I lost my cookies with the police officer...

Lothlorien

There is a car seatbelt alarm that might be helpful. It's made for elderly people riding in cars, but would certainly warn you if your child unbuckled.

witzend

We used the booster for a long time just because it kept the kids up higher and they could see. It's not very fair to make a kid who has not been in a car seat for an extended period of time suddenly have to take it up again. I mean, what about a 7 year old? It should be based upon height and weight, anyway.

M tried to open the back door one time when we were going down the freeway at about 65 MPH when he was about 2. I kept the back door child-proofed to not open from the inside until he was about 5. Checked it each and every time he got into the car.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I became a certified car seat technician over a year ago. I'm not familiar with other state's laws but in my class I was told that even though the 8/80lb law does exist, sometimes there can be exceptions, depending on the cop of course. There are kids out there who are younger than the requirement but who are big enough to not require a seat. The whole point of the law is to get kids to the size they need to be for seat belts to fit them correctly. (across the hips and diagnally across the sternum and shoulder so that it does not rub their necks or faces and their knees should bend comfortably over the edge of the seat) When we do seat inspection events we always get parents of Houdini's. One site you might want to try is

http://www.ezonpro.com

They sell harness systems that aren't attached to car seats. It may or may not work for you but you can check it out. Also, you can check with your local police department to see if there are any child safety organizations in your area or if they have any certified technicians on staff. Some of the techs who have been around awhile know of different types of seats that are harder to escape from than others. (Unfortunately I'm one of the ones who has to ask others about this also!)

I completely understand the frustration parents have with the laws constantly changing. From a safety stand point however, if a child who is not in a car seat or booster seat is using a seat belt that doesn't "fit" correctly, it's basically useless or causes more injuries than it prevents. Also, check your back doors of your car. Depending on the age, there should be a switch on the side of both back doors (near the latch mechanism) that you can flip to prevent the door from being opened from the inside. If you have power windows, do you also have a button up front on your controls that locks the controls of all of the other doors? That can be useful also.

Whoever suggested the emergency info on seats was right on too. In fact there are stickers specifically for this. The ones that we have were provided by local sherriff's organizations and has all types of contact and medical information spaces. You fill it out, slap it on the seat and you're good to go. (as long as you use the same seat for each kid everytime anyway.)

If you or anyone else has any questions, feel free to PM me. I may not know your specific state laws but I can answer from the safety and recommendation standpoint. Hope that helped somewhat!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Vet wrap is a bandage material (particularly made for animals). Its also made for humans by 3M but the animal kind is much cheaper. Its a stretchy bandage material, like an ace bandage, but it sticks back to itself without tape, it is non-adhesive except to itself, and its very strong, very, very hard to rip or tear once its on.

As I said, I carry it for peace of mind more than anything else. If we were to have the side of the road emergency we had before, I could use it to restrain difficult child until help arrived or I was able to drive him to help. I don't plan on using it, and I'd hate to see the wrath if I ever have to, but I had to do something. I put 40,000 miles on my car last year, a huge chunk of those driving difficult child to and from appointments. Its the extra little boost that tells me "come what may, I can handle this".

judi

I debated whether to answer this thread but decided I needed to. My perspective is that of the mom of a 21 y/o difficult child who fought the carseat/booster seat thing too. However, I have been an RN in a large level one trauma center for 10 years and I can't even tell you how many times I've had to tell parents that their child is dead and the child wasn't belted in a car seat/booster seat. Unless kids are of the size to correctly use seatbelts they run a huge risk of death or incompacitating injury. Please come up with some way to secure your children. Believe me, its much better to have screaming kids than dead kids.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
As is the case with so many situations we face, there is no easy answer.
I can deal with screaming. If I could safely keep my child in a seat, he would be in one. But I can not deal with my child hurling himself from a moving vehicle, a stunt he's tried more than once. Nor can I justify all the other lives I risk trying to maneuver my own vehicle safely in such a situation.
Until the system is more helpful for our difficult child's, its a decision I feel I have to make, both for the safety of my difficult child, and the safety of others on the road.
Beleive me, its not a decision made lightly.
Having said that, there are options presented in this thread that no one has offered before, and I am going to look into them. And thanks to those who posted them.

Wiped Out

Staff member
We have that law here too. It just went into effect last year-thankfully difficult child was 9. difficult child was in a booster seat for a long time-I think til he was 7. The problem would have been in getting him back into the seat after he was already out of it-once he was used to not being in it my guess is it would have been something that would have sent my difficult child over the edge into violence.

Karen & Crew

I don't blame you for losing it. I would have too.

Personally I'm all for the 8 years and 80 pounds law. I think its still 4 years and 40 pounds here in Lousyana.

Funny thing is that my difficult child is still in a child restraint - a high backed booster - and his 8th birthday is on Monday. He's nowhere near the 80 pound mark, though. He's starting to rebel so I'm letting him slide on short trips. Long trips he has to be in the booster. Its my easy child daughter, 4.5, who fights her car seat and manages to get out of it so frequently. She's still in a 5-point harness and she still gets out. I don't think even duct tape would keep her in.

Janna

Yeah this is hard, Shari. I have my own opinions on this but I'm gonna keep them to myself, although I'll say I agree with Loth, it's the law and that's that.

I'm sorry you had to get the lecture, though, from the dopey cop. Everyone has a lecture until they go through it themselves. Guy probably doesn't even have kids. Everyone has an easy answer, don't they? Ignorant people.

Sending hugs. Frustrating for you, I'm sure.

Janna

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I knew this would strike a nerve, and that's ok. I know the law, and I agree with the law, but I do not know how to force a person to comply with the law - and you say that to folks and they look at you like you're from an alien planet - how can you "not" control a 4 year old. Beleive me, I thought that once, too.

But I invite anyone to come on over and have a try. When he gets it in his mind that he is or is not doing something, he'll be quick to teach a lot of folks a thing or two about control. Its a myth. We have little over anything but ourselves. Even 4 year olds. We have influence, maybe, but not control.

The law also states that we're responsible for our kids until their 18. Can we control their actions and decisions til then?

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try, just stating that its not always possible.

I can start any trip with difficult child in the seat. But 1/3 or more of the trips end up in some sort of rift at some point, and if he were in a seat, it would become the issue, to some degree.

To abide by the law, I have 4 options. Transport him in the seat, which he will get out of 30%+ of the time, never transport him, hire another second person to go with us, or buy a cop car (note the cop car still won't be legal, cause he can get ouf of the seat, just not out of the car or to me to interefere with driving safely (which would put my mind at ease)).

If I don't take him to appointments, he has no chance of getting better. I can't afford the second person or the cop car. At least not while I'm taking the time off work and paying to take him to appointments (if I stop doing those things, I could afford another person or a car).

Its not a matter of me choosing to ignore the law - its a matter of physically not being able to abide by it. With a seat, its not "if" we wreck, but when, how bad, and how many others we hurt in the process. I don't want to lose my little boy, but I surely don't want to hurt or kill other people because of his actions. Four years old or not.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Shari

I was a carseat fanatic. I still am. I was using them long before the laws were in place. I refused to take my kids anywhere unless they were in their seats. Like someone else mentioned, I'd worked in a hospital and saw the results of unrestrained kids in accidents.

And I had Houdini himself in T. He was escaping his carseat by 8mos old. It got so bad when he was around 12-18 mos that I had to not only buckle him into the seat, but wrap the seat belt over the car seat, and tie him into the thing using the straps of his child harness (chest harness with straps used for walking) just to keep him in it. Then had to worry how I'd manage to get him OUT if we were in an accident and had to vacate the car fast. :faint:

Long before he was 2 not even all that worked. T never screamed or fussed about his carseat. Never. He just simply wouldn't stay in it, no matter what you did. :hammer:

Right around his second birthday easy child was finally old enough to progress out of a carseat. I told T he could have hers IF he wouldn't get out of it. For reasons unknown, it worked. Never had anymore problems while driving. Good thing cuz there was no way to keep him in by then. As soon as we got to where we were going he'd be out of the thing faster than I could turn the car off. I dunno, but it might have been because it was just a booster seat. Nothing came across his shoulders to make him feel tied down.

Once he outgrew the carseat I never had a bit of trouble with seatbelts. He still wears it. lol Go figure.

Now with the new laws, N would have had to be in one til she got pregnant with Aubrey at 16! Oh, yeah I could see that happening. NOT! She wouldn't have met the weight requirement. Sheesh.

Do the best you can and don't worry about it. It's all you can do anyway.

(((hugs)))

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Thanks. That's all I can do.

ANd your way of keeping T in is exactly why I carry the vet wrap, but I've inquired about it, and that's not legal either. (but hide and watch me if I ever get in that predicament again!)

I do have a couple of new ideas, in addition to checking out the lock mentioned earlier here. We'll see if they work (but only when I have a second body available for a few trips!)

TerryJ2

Shari,
I'm a little confused about the moving vehicle comment. What about your kiddie locks? All cars have them now. They are on the part of the door that shuts flush against the frame (the part you don't want to slam your fingers in!) I got pulled over once (39 in 25 zone, because difficult child was screaming and kicking and out of his seat and I just wanted to get home, LOL!). The cop put difficult child back in the seat, and put on the kiddie lock. He just slid the button on the inside. Piece of cake.

I worry that difficult child can cause harm or distraction you while you're driving, albeit unintentionally, and make you swerve, etc.
That would be yet another reason to train him for a car seat.

In re: to future car rides, you know this will only get worse... so I've got an idea. Cut me some slack, it's going to sound strange.
I've got dogs and I train them. Every day we do the same thing over and over, repetition, reward system, etc. You will need another person to help you (friend, spouse, neighbor, whatever) but you can do a systematic training of difficult child. Reward him for staying in his seat for 5 sec. (count to 5 loudly, while you stand in the driveway, because you won't go anywhere the 1st few times, and smile, because this is a game, not a power struggle). The reward could be whatever difficult child likes that you deem reasonable. Then you make it 30 sec. When you're up to say, 3 min., you drive around the block.
I know, you're hitting your head against the computer monitor spewing bad words at me right now, but really, I have to agree with-the comment about how a screaming kid is better than a dead one.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Shari,

No one is making judgements - kt would not only unbuckle her seatbelt but would try to jump out of the moving car.

We had the parental control locks & still keep them locked when kt is in the car.

I wish I had a viable solution....my solution was to pull over to the side of the road & wait it out or call 911 for help. Those were the only choices I had.

I hope you find some answers soon. You're in a difficult spot with this one.

DammitJanet

Not all cars have kiddie locks. I dont think I have ever had one that did. Of course all my cars are pre - 1996 but some of us do have to have older cars for financial reasons.

My Houdini wouldnt jump out of the car but he would crawl out of the seat so I was constantly pulling over to put him back in. Sometimes I wouldnt get a block from the last time I pulled over. Back then I actually carried a switch and whipped his hiney when he got out. Didnt really hurt him since he was fully clothed and it was hitting on a diapered bottom too but I was trying to get a message across that this was important. I think he finally started to cooperate when he went into the booster seat. I really cant remember, but I do know I was so glad when that age was over.

dreamer

LOL, I have had more than one of my kids friends decide they did not want a ride bad enough to click it. I do not say a word.........I simply do not even start the car until I hear the appropriate number of seatbelts being clicked, and then a quick glance around the car. If my kids see me glance and still not start the car, they tell their friends, hey mom won't even start the car till you buckle. I have had a few smartypants teens who think once we head out they can unbuckle. Well, my ears are pretty good, and I DO glance around at stop signs and stop lites, If anyone is unbuckled, I simply pull over and turn off the car, LOL. I leave it for my kids to explain. Once I had some car problem and I pulled over and the kids started saying MOM! MOM! we ARE all buckled, mom! why are you pulling over? LOL.
When my kids were little, they thought the car could not start unless everyone was buckled in. LOL.

As for helmets? I remember calling the charities that sometimes give bikes to kids and I said ya know, you might give the kids a bike, but truth is the helmets sometiems cost more than some new bikes do......and low income families cannot always afford helmets. They began to give helmets WITH bikes they gave away,. YAY! SOmething else that occured to me one very financially bad year for us? (and I apologize this REALLY strays from original topic, but kinda goes with the helmet thing, sort of)
Families who fall upon hard times, ones who maybe were not always having hard financial times? Kids have lots of electronic gadgets........but batteries? Batteries are sometimes a huge problem.

We used Gameboy EXTENSIVELY on our very long trips to docs (2+ hours to psychiatrist, 4 hours to neurodoc, 5 hours to eye doctor) and for all those hours all these years sitting in waiting rooms and lobbies of docs offices..........we got our gameboys 2nd hand at the 2nd hand store, and the games, too, but, batteries were a real problem sometimes for us financially. LOL we had little fanny packs for each child with Gameboy, a couple games, batteries and crayons etc.......and they ONLY got them in car or in doctor waiting rooms. - and we kept spare batteries in the fanny pack.
Hmmmm maybe something special in the car that can be used ONLY in the car WHEN in carseat would be an incentive?
I know something else. Just occured to me.......Our psychiatrist is directly east of us, and when we head out in the morning ACK, it is NASTY BAD! The sun shines straight into the kids eyes. SOmetimes in a carseat or seatbelt it is hard to move around enough to keep the sun out of your eyes. DO you have car window shades? we bought vinyl window clings that shaded the kids eyes and special sunglasses we kept in the car, along with a small travel pillow and a baby blanket for each kid.........(gosh husband used to say- dear is there room for the KIDS back there? LOL) Again, these were special only for in car.

dreamer

ROFL! This thread reminded me of something. LOL. WHen I would have the kids in the car, at one hour and 2 hours when they were small, and now only approx every 2 hours- I would pull in somewhere and scream CHINESE FIRE DRILL (I do not mean to be politically insensitive, please forgive me) and EVERYONE had no choice, I MADE everyone GET OUT. Yes even husband............and they ALL have to do somethineg. Run, jumping jacks, play ring around the rosie- something. It did not matter if it was raining. or snowing. And if possible, use bathroom, whether you needed to or not you still HAD to go thru the motions. 10 minutes. Yes, it makes trips even longer.BUT.............see when I first met husband he had this wicked problem, he would drive till he fell asleep, and fall asleep behind the wheel.
I had a problem of getting carsick. Later my RA caused me the problem of prolonged activity led to me not being ABLE to walk.
When we went on vacation, our only ever vacation, to east coast, I also made a rule my husband at first balked at. 8 hours per day limit to be IN the car. CHanging drivers did not extend the amount of time I permitted the family (and dog) to be in car for one day. Finances were tight BUT........hey with 2 difficult children, 3 kids, DHs disabilities and mine- I figured 8 hours was all the time we SHOULD push our luck crammed into the car. We simply made sure to make the road trip part every bit as great and interesting as the final destinations. LOL. Actually the kids had no idea all those stops were NOT "final destinations" LOL.

Ah, my kids think I am a lunatic. BUT my kids like the kid of lunatic they think I am. ANd here they are much older now and when we get in the car or land in a waiting room, I STILL say, oh here, difficult child, I have your fanny pack. LOL, and ya know what? We STILL use them.

TerryJ2

Dreamer, LOL!!!

LOL, I have had more than one of my kids friends decide they did not want a ride bad enough to click it. I do not say a word.........I simply do not even start the car until I hear the appropriate number of seatbelts being clicked, and then a quick glance around the car.

That reminds me... I have a friend who is really, really smart, but not into the newer cars. I have a Prius. He got into my car and I was going to back out of the driveway. Out of habit, because this is what I have done with-my kids for a long time, I told this brilliant, middle-aged computer tech, "Hey, you have to put on your seatbelt or the car won't go in reverse."
He said, "D*mn green cars!" and put on his seatbelt.
OMG, I'm still laughing, months later, and he STILL doesn't know.

dreamer

ROFL!!!!
I admit it IS harder with other adults........I get ....weirded out and confused. and then I get angry inside. I hate being in MY car with an adult who wants to ride with me but who wants to argue over buckling. Problem is, my insurance co told me they will not pay out if people are not buckled. Well, I sure do not want to have to pay for the injuries myself out of MY pocket if something happens. ANd I resent any adults who want to push me on this.
I am willing, as a smoker to not smoke even in my own car even if someone else wants a ride (altho if it is a long car ride, I may pull over to grab a smoke after a few hours- hey it's MY car)........BUT I am NOT willing to break the law or risk such financial impact for them not wanting to wear a seat belt.