So it's NOT the economy

babybear

I found out today that I lost a job that I had been hired for but hadn't started yet due to an "unacceptable " reference.

I have been unemployed for 4 months since leaving the group home that I worked at. I quit because there were things going on that I was uncomfortable with and a couple things that had to be reported to the state. Foster home lost part of their license but was not closed. I had really hoped that the economy was the reason it was taking so long to find work, but apparently I am being bad mouthed by my ex-boss.

Does anyone have any advice on this? I really feel stuck as I was self employed for 5 years before this plus I am having to work outside my profession due to physical problems and difficult child issues.

flutterby

Fly away!
Other than hiring an attorney?

I would tell potential employers - once you get to the part where they are going to check references - what you told us here.

Are there any former coworkers you can use as a professional reference to counter this ex-boss?

Marguerite

I agree with telling future employers that there is a problem. I would also get legal advice. Check around, there may be a government service (especially given current unemployment levels) helping people get reemployed after losing a job. These people would help deal with this sort of problem.

I have served on a number of staffing committees, dealing with hiring new staff. There are strict rules about who you can ask to be a referee (in the stage education system) and I remember one applicant whose primary referee bad-mouthed him extremely. We were taken aback (we telephone the referee and put the phone on speaker, so we can all hear and be heard). As we listened, our jaws dropped.
But w looked at the reference, also read between the lines and figured that BECAUSE of the bad reference, we would give the guy an interview. He had been given a raw deal by his referee and we didn't want that to penalise him. In the end we decided not to give him the job because we felt there may have been some truth in the bad reference; but mostly we felt he just wasn't up to the standard of the successful applicant. But WE made up our minds, we didn't let the bad reference put us off.

Marg

Andy

Diva had the same problem but with a different twist - for 3 years could not get a job in town. Her last job was Walmart - they were so unhappy when she left, told her that she was one of their best employees and could come back at anytime. This Spring she applied for a job 30 miles away. During the interview, she was told that Walmart was telling people that she never showed up for work! We think it was because when she was first hired they promised to let her have a few certain days off - one being a family reunion on my side which happens once every 5 - 10 years. They told her no problem, she can have the day off. That was about 2 months into the job. When that day arrived, lo and behold, guess who was scheduled to work? I was furious - she was 14 years old so I called and scolded them. I reminded them that they had promised her that day off and told them she would not be to work that day. It was very unprofessional on their part and if they can not honor hiring agreements, they best not be making them.

This new place has give Diva a chance. She loves it there and they are happy with her work. She is never late for work and never "not shown up". She will no longer be using Wal-Mart as a reference. If she had not gotten this job, I would have had her contact Wal-Mart to ask what basis they had to give this bad reference especially after she was such a "golden" employee.

Do you feel comfortable contacting Human Resources and ask them for the basis of the reference they are giving? You can then take it to a job service agency to see if they know what your rights are or contact an attorney to see if there are any legal courses to stop this reference. A workforce agency may have advice on how to deal with this?

DammitJanet

It is my understanding that an employer really can only say two things about an employee without risking themselves legally to a lawsuit. Those things are whether they would hire them back or not.

Now I have no doubt my former employer (my county) is telling people this rather graphically and if I could ever actually get someone to tell me this point blank I would love to sue the pants off them because I let a lawsuit dwindle years ago. Huge lawsuit that I would have won hands down but couldnt find a lawyer to take it against the county.