So ladies....what's for dinner?????

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Hmmmm??? Need ideas for dinner tonight. I'm really considering having a fend for yourself night. Doesn't bother me so much with kt; I don't know - husband is another question.

I may do a breakfast type dinner.

What are you doing for dinner - I may change my mind. :smile:

Wiped Out

Staff member
I love breakfast for dinner! I think I'm grilling chicken thighs and making fettucinni-just with a low fat already made sauce that pops in the microwave-it's very easy but everyone loves it-well except difficult child but he doesn't like anything-he'll just eat noodles with olive oil.

Marguerite

We just got a roast chook out of the oven, to rest. The roast veggies are still finishing off.

We do it a fairly easy way, there are a number of soft options. The good thing about it is you can bung it in the oven and go rest, knowing dinner is looking after itself.

For us, chicken is cheap protein. I can get thigh fillets for $10 a kilo. The cheapest lamb chops are $11 a kilo, the cheapest beef is $15 a kilo. Kangaroo is $13 a kilo. Ditto, venison. A whole chook for roasting is $10, for a 2.4 Kg bird. I can get smaller ones for a lot less.

We have a lot of hungry mouths to feed, so I get a big bird and allow two hours. I sit it on a rack with a bit of water underneath, the juices underneath then make a delicious gravy. I put the vegetables in a separate baking dish.
The easy way with vegetables - I peel and cut into pieces two bites big, the following - potato, kumara (orange sweet potato) or pumpkin, whole carrots, then get a plastic shopping bag and make sure it has no holes. Sometimes I flour and season the veggies by throwing in a couple of tablespoons of flour, some seasoned salt or maybe some crushed dried herbs. I throw the veggies into the bag, inflate the bag then twist it closed, throw them all around inside to coat, then pour in some vegetable oil and inflate and toss around again, before upending the lot into the other baking dish.
I put the chook on the bottom shelf of the oven and the veggies on the top, rounded sides down in the oil where possible.

The job is easier if you get someone else to peel the vegetables.
During cooking I check the chook dish to make sure there is a little bit of water in it; I turn the veggies after an hour.

We take the chook out of the oven, rest it on a carving tray while I make gravy (optional extra). I pour all the pan juices off into a jug and get a small saucepan. I drizzle in the grease (what there is of it) from the top of the pan juices. If there's too much of it, I throw away the rest of the grease but keep the juices. I then add a spoonful of plain flour, cook it with the fat over heat until it forms a roux, then pour in the pan juices. I cheat and hit it with a blender wand to mix it in fast, then stir it until it thickens. The best gravy ever! test for salt, add to taste.

An even easier, faster way - get a SMALL chook, cut it up the backbone (remove the backbone, keep it in the freezer to make stock with when you accumulate a few), squash it flat on the bench and put it into a strong plastic bag. Throw in a splash of oil, some lemon juice (throw in the lemon half after it), a sprig or two of thyme, rosemary, oregano or whatever you want, a quartered onion, smoosh it all over the chicken from outside the bag (careful to not puncture the bag or you have to put it in another one) then keep it in the fridge for a day or so.
To cook - upend the lot into a baking dish (maybe remove the lemon half at this stage) and roast in moderate oven for about 45 minutes - the flattened chook cooks much faster. or you can cook it on the barbecue (man's work, so you get more rest).

A roast dinner is far easier than it seems.

I've gotta go, the gravy is waiting to be made.

Marg

goldenguru

Marguerite ... you actually eat kangaroo? I was so surprised to read this ... they seem so pet like. LOL.

We had garlic chicken over white rice. Leftover curried butternut squash soup and banana bread. It was quite yummy.

Marguerite

They ARE pet-like, but they're also in plague proportions. When we were in Canberra over the weekend, the paddocks outside the city were full of roos. BF1 said he's nearly hit one with the car - it's as bad as hitting a deer - and on our drive back to Sydney we saw a lot of roadkill roos, an indication that numbers are up even higher at the moment.

This is a land which is better designed for roos than for sheep or cattle. So they have begun to farm them, mostly the greys, which ARE very cute. Most of what we saw on the weekend were grey kangaroos, although we did see a couple of road kill reds.

What we buy is packaged roo rump. I tend to stir-fry the meat, thinly sliced. It's a texture like beef with a slightly stronger flavour. Not as strong a flavour as venison. For the Aborigines, the tail is a delicacy. They roast the tail whole and share it around. They roast the rest as well, of course. I remember when I was a kid, we could buy kangaroo tail (not often, though) at the butcher's, along with rabbit which was often sold by the "rabbitoh", a bloke who went out to the bush and shot rabbits to help make a living in hard times. Rabbit and kangaroo was poor man's food. We used to make kangaroo tail soup, following oxtail soup recipe (only increasing the quantities of other ingredients, of course!) Now farmed roo is gourmet fare, although until it catches on it will still be relatively cheap.

They farm emu as well, but our butcher doesn't carry that.

And something else about the roo trade - our tourist shops sell interesting little change purses with no seam, made from roo leather. They call them "genuine kangaroo pouches" and they DON'T come from the female roos! We had a Baptist preacher from the US staying with us once, he bought himself one of these and was proudly showing it to us. We didn't have the heart to tell him what bit of the male kangaroo he'd just bought. And no, I am not kidding. They come from the legal cull, very carefully controlled, and it's good they don't waste anything. A lot of Aussie pet food is kangaroo. Frankly, it's too good to waste on pets. A very healthy, very lean meat, higher in iron than beef. If we farmed roos on a much larger scale, we would be a far healthier country ecologically. They are amazing animals.
I find sheep and cattle cute, too. And deer (although less so, since they ravaged my garden).

But you can keep camel. Tough, coarse, strong-tasting meat. Not my taste at all. But the gourmet restaurants serve it. Dunno why, except for the novelty value.

I've got a good Aussie recipe for stir-fried roo with macadamias, if you want it. A lot of our packaged roo rump does get exported - you lot in the US eat more of it than we do.

Marg

K

Kjs

We had a quick meal last night. Turkey burgers, boiled potatoes and green beans.

Tonight..they must fend for themself. i don't cook when i work.
Didn't sleep even two winks yesterday due to all the school crap.
To upset to sleep now.

We are basic, meat, potatoe and veggie people.

Lothlorien

how about BLTs or Grilled Cheese sandwiches and tomato soup?

We have an appointment. with the new therapist today, so I won't be cooking dinner tonight.

AllStressedOut

We're having tacos. It is actually one of the easier meals I make. All I have to do is brown the meat and add the seasonings. Then I just put a dish out with all the stuff to put on it and husband puts the first round together for everyone, then after that they fix their own. I love anything that only takes 1 dish to cook and is simple. The kids love tacos, so its a win/win here.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Last night, tired from driving around all day, I threw together some chicken fajitas - simple and yummy.

Tonight I'm just pulling out a frozen entree of Baked Ravioli's that I made last week. I will serve it with salad and bread.

I love making stuff and freezing it - makes my weekday cooking so much easier.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Last night was kielbasa and red beans and rice. Tonight I have a class so probably baked potatoes with bacon bits and sour cream and fruit.

Was going to do fried potatoes and scrambled eggs but just not in the mood for eggs today.

We don't always do conventional meals here.

Beth

SRL

This week we've had Cheeseburger soup and burritos with-fresh salsa and homemade applesauce. Tonight I have a meeting and packing and I'm doing deli sandwiches but to dress it up a little I'll cut the rolls in half and toast the sandwiches.

The last couple of weeks I've been making a homemade pizza that's a lot more trouble than my usual toss it together but it's sooooooo good--cheese pressed into the crust, carmelized sweet onion, and Italian bread crumbs on top.

LittleDudesMom

Since it's Thursday, it's crock pot day. I have a whole chicken (about three weeks ago I was at the grocers and they had a huge sale on whole chickens - I picked up three for under $3 each - stuck them in the freezer for crock recipes this fall), some white wine, onions, celery, and carrots in the crock. I'll serve with with sushi rice (my kids like that sticky rice) and applesauce.

Sharon

tiredmommy

I actually have a turkey in the oven right now. I'll make gravy from the drippings, mash some potatoes and make the cd.com cream cheese corn. I think it was either SRL or Dammit Janet that posted the recipe.

Josie

I think I'm making chicken and mushroom crepes. Very simple filling with the chicken and mushrooms just sauteed in olive oil and seasonings. If I get to the store, I will have steamed asparagus or brocoli with it. husband and I will eat it like that. I will make a separate version with just chicken and one with just mushrooms.

difficult child will not eat anything mixed and easy child is a vegetarian so dinner is always a challenge.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I actually made a pounded chicken breast with a slice if swiss cheese and roasted garlic cloves rolled up and sauted for 3 minutes each side then baked for about 20 minutes... the girls loved them!?!?!

I roasted the a head of garlic in foil at 300 for about 30 minutes prior to the chicken!!! TInk would have been gagging!!! It smelled SO good... Very easy, you can also use Chevre herbed cheese. Served that with steamed green beans and almonds with butter... and salad.

trinityroyal

Crock Pot day in my house as well. Beef stew.

One very easy meal I make when it's just little easy child and me is a "floor picnic". Cold cuts, chunks of cheese, raw vegetables with dip, pickles, little crackers...whatever happens to be in the cupboard. I spread a big blanket on the family room floor, put down a platter and some little plates, then we cuddle up and eat with our hands.

Trinity

ScentofCedar

It's Thursday, so that is pork chop day at our house. We butter the chops with real mayo and dredge in potato buds. Bake at 350 45 minutes. Pasta fazool to go with: dried beans, garlic cloves, salt and pepper and a little oil set to cook about six hours before dinner. Add a few tablesppons tomatoe sauce, more garlic, parsley and oil about two hours before time to serve. Just before serving, add small shell pasta and salt. Serve with steamed broccoli on the side.

Very good Thursday eating!

Marguerite, is a kilo two pounds and a little more, do you know?

It seems that food there must be very expensive?

What a fascinating post!

You will have to let us know, Linda, what you decide to serve tonight.

I just love this post!

Barbara

tinamarie1

I LOVE food threads! We had grilled chicken last night, the BEST marinade is italian dressing (i know it sounds weird, but it makes chicken sooooo moist and yummy), and I made a vegetable casserole that has 2 cans mixed veggies, cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup of mayo and chopped onion and then topped with crushed ritz crackers that are mixed with- 1/2 stick melted butter.
Tonite is beef enchiladas here.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Tofu tacos here. I LOVE tofu, but not raw. It takes on the flavor of anything you are cooking. No fat...lots of protein. I use it for mexican dishes, spaghetti, or just plain cooked with garlic over rice. I think tofu gets a bad name because a lot of oriental soups have it raw. Yuck...too squishy for me. But, brown it with some seasoning and it's great.

Abbey