So now, difficult child thinks computers are stupid ...

TerryJ2

... and can't figure out why he spent so much time on them. He said he was a "no-lifer" today at the therapist appointment. I've never heard that term before but it's apparently when you win all the online games and all you do in life is game. He and the therapist both chuckled and I had to have difficult child explain the term to me. I KNEW he was a no-lifer, :sigh:I just didn't know there was a word for it!:winnersmiley:
He can't figure out why he spent so much time doing it all.
Uh, YEAH!!!!
That's the lithium working, and grounding him off of the computer, and getting a so-called normal girlfriend who isn't as addicted to gaming as he was.:yess:

T

TeDo

That insight is HUGE!! I am sooooo glad he's able to see it (now) and hopefully he won't forget it. (And if you're anything like me, YOU won't let him forget he said it). Sounds like things might be turning around in your house (one can wish can't we?!?).

Ktllc

That is a strong statement. Is he conscious that the medication helps?
It would be nice if he could keep some sort of journal, even if it's just in the form of some random written thoughts. Might help him realize the changes and what caused those changes.
Appreciate the good times and hope it sticks.
At the very least, you know he is capable of change and embrassing change in his own behavior. All the right ingredients have to be in the mix, sound like lithium is one of those very important ingredient along with positive peer influence (the latter being true for anyone in this world!).

B

Bunny

That's great that he sees it now. I wish difficult child would see that part of himself.

InsaneCdn

It's the same sequence every time. You can't solve symptoms, you can only solve problems. Get even a partial solution to the problem, and you see impact on symptoms.

It will still be an uphill battle for a while - medications adjustments can take a long process to get "right". But... when they work, it's worth it.

TerryJ2

I know ... he really hates the side effects of the lithium so we'll see what happens in Nov.

Ktllc, I don't think he's quite that mature, to journal out his patterns, but it's a good thought.

Right now he's obnoxious. His blood sugar was low so I made him steak, and his girlfriend is out of town for the weekend. Sigh.

He did his chores, a tiny bit of NILD homework, and I gave him the mouse. We'll see how long this computer insight lasts ...

InsaneCdn

Terry... it isn't a matter of "meaning" it... it is far more a matter of cause and effect: when medications work and can change the imbalance in the brain, it normalizes not just behaviors, but thinking and emotion, which are what drives behaviors. It isn't about them trying to change, it is about them BEING different.

I see it every day, too.