So sad

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm at work today and this really trashed looking 20ish guy comes up and literally wipes out my samples. I'm furiously cutting mangos and everything else in my path.

Finally I looked at him and said, "Dude, you are really messed up. Are you smoking weed or something?"

He says, no he doesn't do weed. He only does heroin.

It would have taken 10 people to pick my jaw up off of the ground.

Heroin? Are you nuts? Don't you care about yourself?

No.

What is going on in this world.

Abbey

Lothlorien

It sounds like you need to keep flyers in your cart for men's or women's treatment centers/soup kitchens/drug programs etc. Next time you encounter a really hungry individual.....pass one along.

Abbey

Spork Queen
We have no security, but I did try to find a manager. Found one...he said he'd get right with me as he was helping a customer. Five hours later he found me. Great. That's helpful.

The guy was not a problem, just really messed up. I've seen enough of this stuff to know. I looked for him as customers were telling me he was bothering them, but couldn't find him. I think he wandered the store for about an hour then left. I hope to God he wasn't driving.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
I like Loth's Idea a LOT.

I have Morphine shots when i get migraines and that "oh everything is fine now" feeling is so lovely - I can't imagine taking Morphine on a daily basis.

Your manager is a rhino - 5 hours later? Gosh glad it wasn't an emergency!

Thanks for feeding one of the lost Abbey - That was a lovely gesture on your part. He could have been anyone of OUR kids.

That sure is an interesting store!!! entertainment must be a perk!

Abbey

Spork Queen
It just really bothered me to see some guy who was completely emaciated, huge acne and scars...but was a really nice guy that was obviously messed up. Do I want him to go to jail? No. I want him to get help. I could have called the cops, but didn't. Maybe that was my mistake. He could have hurt someone else. Geez...now I'm rethinking this whole thing. Maybe I should have called the cops for other people's safety. Poor guy.

Star*

call 911........call 911
A little Abbey homework -

Find a local rehab that offers a brochure
get it and keep it in your pocket
Find a local methadone clinic and
their address and number

Hand them to him the next time he walks in - and say - I don't want to be in your business - but the last time I saw you - you really bothered me as I have sons of my own. Take this - know its' not ALL hopeless and get yourself some help. I've gone so far as to ask if I could at least call their parents and tell them they are allright. Some say no way due to sexual abuse some just cry and say they dont' know how to get in touch. If ever a kid came to me and was serious about going home - I would FIND a way to get them there. In his case - he's so high all the time - he's wasting his life. So the only thing you can do at this point is point to rehab.

It doesn't get you "involved" or "solving HIS problems" - it helps him help himself, and you walk away knowing you did something.

witzend

Hopefully he won't scope you out as a daily stop on his quest for food. You know your boss would probably get on you about it. As if you have any control over who the store lets in the doors. At least he wasn't grazing in the Produce section, I guess.

judi

Abbey - thanks for feeding the poor kid. We have only seen our son once (for <20 minutes) in the last 6 months. At the moment, we don't know where he is or even a phone number. My heart aches for this young man and your kindness is appreciated. It could have just as easily been any one of our kids. Thank you....gosh this is so hard.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Aww, Judi. So tough.

He wasn't a jerk. He was actually very friendly, but I know the signs of drug usage and abuse. This was not a one time thing for him. I've only seen him the one time, but if he comes in again, I will be more aggressive at offering some help.

I just find it so sad that at this early stage in life you find it to go to these extremes.

Abbey

Andy

To assure you, usually police will take such people to ER for an evaluation - if there are drugs in his system, he will be sent to detox if needed or the ER can place a physician's emergency to send to a treatment center for mental health evaluation.

So, a police call doesn't necessarily mean lock up - it can be the first step in serious help.