So tell me if I"m brilliant or crazy

muttmeister

I'm putting up my outdoor Christmas lights today as it is supposed to get cold and nasty this weekend and I want them done before Thanksgiving so when I come home from my trip, all I'll have to do is plug them in. Anyway, I have a small arborvitae in my back yard that I usually hang lights on. It died and I was going to replant this fall but time got away from me and I didn't get it done. So I went out and spray painted it green and hung lights on it anyway.
Was that a brilliant idea or should I be locked up? I think my neighbors are debating. LOL

InsaneCdn

I'd say you're crazy.... in a holiday-spirit-crazy sort of way.

A few years back (quite a few years, now) there were news stories of people spraypainting their lawns green, in desperation... in the middle of one of those severe southern-CA droughts. Same kinda thinking. Crazy, but... hey, ya just gotta do what ya gotta do. The REAL fix has to wait for next year!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well now you've gone and done it!!!!!!!! Anything that dies in MY YARD????? I'm spray painting, and then just changing out the foilage from the craft store to accomodate the season!

CRAZILLIANT (as Malika says) Indeed!
Wicked smart girl - and have an awesome trip!

Marguerite

It gives new meaning to the concept of "evergreen".

Think it would work on my lawn next spring????

Risky with lawns, especially here in Australia. Anywhere with water restrictions, a green lawn can get you dobbed in to the authorities. We have teams of people who go round investigating reports of suspiciously green lawns and lush gardens due to devious water wasters. Anyone using recycled water, rainwater tanks or groundwater has to have a sign up to let people know that they're not draining the dams. A spray-painted lawn could bring down the full investigation mob. Mind you, this summer is shaping up to be wet...

But you reminded me - time to go raid the backyard for overgrown canes of honeysuckle (a feral weed here, it's not typical honeysuckle but some sort of orange-flowered monstrosity) to weave a fresh Christmas wreath. I then put fresh kangaroo paw flowers in it (very red and green, Christmassy) and hang it on the front door. If I weave the wreath now, it will be (hopefully) dry and tight by 1 December when our decorations officially go up. Then the village grinch goes round, takes notes and leaves nasty messages in your letterbox...

I'm not kidding! Anyone who puts up lots of lights (as in Griswold's) gets a bill from this guy, for greenhouse emissions produced as a result of the extra electricity used. He gave me a copy of one of his more creative missives - un-freaking-believable!

I wonder what he would say about the environmental impact of green paint? Even water-based paint, he would complain about the water used!

Marg

DammitJanet

This reminds me of a house I saw on HGTV out in AZ. Instead of real grass, they had put down astroturf in their backyard. I thought that was brilliant. It wasnt a large patch because most of the yard was done in rocks and trees and a beautiful rock and mosaic glass fence but that little patch of astroturf was just beautiful.

H

HaoZi

Marg, fence the yard, put up a No Trespassing sign, move your letterbox to the porch, and turn some vicious animal loose in the fence.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Then the village grinch goes round, takes notes and leaves nasty messages in your letterbox...

I'm not kidding! Anyone who puts up lots of lights (as in Griswold's) gets a bill from this guy, for greenhouse emissions produced as a result of the extra electricity used.

Tell ya what. We don't put up lights, because we figure "Santa" can find ANYONE in our neighborhood by the people directly across the street. I'll have to post a picture. It's horrible.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
No lights this year for me unless I can get onto the HEAP program. Bummer. But I WILL put my plastic santa that lights up out no matter what.:santa:

The lil grandkids get too big of a kick out of him to not put him out.

I say you're resourceful in a very creative way. And who cares as long as it works? lol