So ticked off...Argh!

LittleDudesMom

Janet,

Honestly I undestand the struggle. Living with weight issues, and the struggles that go along with them, is tough. I speak from personal experience. I too have tried most diets and fads over the years. I can tell you that diets don't work.

However, I think you need to reconsider this six month doctors care thing. You have two choices Janet. Your first choice is do nothing, continue to struggle with health problems, lessen the years of you life, and live with pain and remorse.

Your second choice is to give it one more try for yourself and your loved ones. Understand that six months is not really a long time when you factor in the time you would have to wait to be approved for the surgery anyway. You have to go through a sleep study to make sure your air pipe will stay fully open during surgery. You will have to spend time with a therapist to make sure you are emotionally ready for the changes the surgery will make to your mind and body. You will probably, due to health issues and obesity, have to have a stress test and a complete medical work up. All that will take time.

Use that time to be under the surgeons care with a supervised healthy eating and exercise program. Don't let the word exercise discourage you because of your mobility issues. There are plenty of exercises you can do from your bed and your chair. A little goes a long way Janet when you are carrying as much weight as you and I are. Trust me, just a little change with your eating habits and some simple stationary exercises will bring changes quickly. They will improve your mindset and health.

I say give it a try and listen to the professionals who control the surgery and the money.

I feel the frustration regarding payment for said surgery. I was given a script for a smoking ceasation medication last summer from my internist. When I went to pick it up, it was over $100!! The insurance company doesn't pay for any smoking ceasation assistance........

Another thing you may want to look into is the lap band surgery. There are surgeons that can do it lapascopically and you may not have to be put totally under.

Janet, I understand your pain and frustration. I have worked my you-know-what off since January to make a healthy change in my life. I, a little different from your situation, have always been blessed with good health. My blood pressure is good, my sugar levels are good, my tri's and col numbers are good. Why was I putting myself at risk with my weight when I had all these things going for me? What would happen in my life if I chose to make a true committment to myself to be fabulous at 50? The Lord help my children if something should happen to me and bonehead be called in!!

It's coming along. I made the food change first, beginning in mid January. Once I lost a little and began to feel better, I started working out at the gym the second week of March. It was tough. I could only walk 20 minutes on the treadmill and the fastest I could walk was 2.4. But I kept at it. Doing the best I could each time I went.

Now, several months after starting the gym and five months after changing my eating habits, I've lost almost 32 pounds and 15 inches off my body. I can walk more briskly fo 40 minutes now. I'm weight training and spend at least 4 days a week at the gym for about 90 minutes.

It's hard. It was so easy for it to go on but oh so difficult to get that stuff off! I've noticed little things. My feet don't hurt as much. I can walk up my stairs more quickly and am not winded at all. There are little things along the way that keep me going.

Janet, come over the the healthful living board and do some reading. Read about the struggles that some of us are going through and some things that are working for us. You can be honest and vunerable there.

I hope you reconsider and go for the six month thing. You have everything to gain and nothing put pounds and pain to lose.

Hugs,
Sharon

DammitJanet

Sharon...I do understand exactly what you are saying...and those are the exact things I said to the woman on the phone yesterday!...or the day before...lol. I did explain to her that I did go to my gp monthly...but she wanted to know if I discussed my diet with him each month...well not exactly right now...I more often talk about my diet and my health aspects of the weight with my psychiatrist and my therapist actually...ugh...so she said that wasnt good enough...ok...I will make sure I start talking to my gp who I can barely get to spend a good 5 minutes with me. I will have to hog tie the man.

Then I tried to tell her when she started her exercise speal that I have mobility issues. She stated that if I cant work out then medicaid wont approve. Ok...I cant believe that because then I am to believe they wouldnt approve a person with no legs? Thats discrimination. I explained I am on restriction as far as how much I can stand and walk. She was like...yeah right. I suggested that I could stretch and exercise from a chair or the side of a bed. She didnt think that would be adequate because I would have to prove that I could exercise. I said I need to lose the weight so I can become eligible for the operation to get my knees replaced...hello? She said...well THIS is elective surgery, knee replacement really isnt. Hmmm...ok...its all elective to me. I can elect to have it or not.

I want the lap band...I dont want the full bypass. The only way I will even do this is if I can have the lap. husband's mom died having he bypass and that is why I havent done it before. I almost went through with pushing for the bypass back when I was working but I got an initial turn down and took it as a sign from above that I wasnt meant to have it. Now with the lap band I am willing to do it because it is much less invasive.

susiestar

Roll With It
Janet, I am so sorry. I understand your frustration.

However, a friend had the surgery and has had non-stop problems. She NEEDS antidepressants and many other medications. the surgery means that none of the long acting medications work for her - she passes tehm through before they can release the medications. It is hard even for the regular medications to help.

I still htink this totally hoovers.

Hugs,

susie