So....what is for dinner tonight?

mstang67chic

Going Green
Must be something about the food posts in the last few weeks that's got me thinking fooooooooooooooooooooooooood :drool:

On the menu here was taco salad. I've never seen anyone other than myself and my mother make it quite like this but it's good!

Lettuce
Ground beef
Taco seasoning
Kidney beans
Doritos (crushed)
Shredded cheese (I use Colby/Jack)
Ranch dressing

(You can also add a chopped, boiled egg or two as well as onions, tomatoes, peppers...whatever you want)

Fry the beef and mix in the seasoning as directed. Then....well, LOL, basically just pile everything on your plate, add dressing and consume!

I keep everything seperate when I put it away but mom would always dump it into one bowl for the next day.

klmno

That sounds good!! I've been wondering what I'm going to have tonight. I'd like to get Totoro's recipe for guacamole (hint hint)- that would go great on a taco salad!!

maril

Oh, your recipe for taco salad sounds good! I haven't had that for quite some time.

We had Summer Lime Chicken (precooked it but then finished on the grill). Okay -- I know it's just spring and it is pretty chilly where we live, but it was a bit of a boost to have something cooked on the grill and it reminded me summer is really not too far away. It's pretty easy to make - marinate chicken breasts in olive oil, lime juice, garlic (I cheated and used garlic powder), cilantro (cheated again - used dried not fresh), salt, and pepper, then grill. We like it and it's a change from the same old thing.

ctmom05

We went Italian tonight; spaghetti, sauce, meatballs, and sausage - adorned with parmesan cheese. I made garlic bread on slices of a homemade loaf. The vegie for this meal was salad with lots of vegies.

We had sweet potato custard with whipped cream for dessert.

Eating like this, I am proud to say that I have lost 20 pounds since Christmas time.

Wiped Out

Staff member
We still had some snow on the ground from yesterday's snowfall but I decided I was going to grill out! I grilled our first brats of the year!! YUM!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
H made pizza - :sick: I'm feeling a bit green around the gills. Hahahaha - at least I didn't have to cook. I just had to clean, which in my opinion, was worse than cooking. Whatever, it was just one night, right?

tiredmommy

I had made a lasagna a few weeks back and froze the leftovers in individual servings. husband reheated three servings and steamed some spinach tonight. It was yummy...

SRL

I'd made a triple batch of spaghetti sauce a few weeks ago and took some of that out of the freezer. We'd had our carpets cleaned so it was easy.

I was going to make turkey meat loaf but ran out of time. It's in the fridge all put together so I'll make that along with sweet potatoes for tonight.

Lothlorien

We had baked ziti with meat sauce. I needed an easy thing to make, because yesterday was a very long day. I have no idea what I'm making tonight. One kid has soccer and the other has karate....right at dinner time. It's like this every night of the week for the next 8 weeks. WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO????

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Just a question in relation to dinner time:

Do you guys think about meals you can prepare before you go food shopping or do you just buy the same old same old and throw meals together?

Some weeks I plan it out and my best plans go awry somewhere mid-week. It seems that someone has a complaint about my plan.

And other weeks I just buy the usual stuff and throw meals together with what I already have and what I've bought.

What about you? I think I need to be more organized about my meal planning because I hate coming home and trying to figure it out at 5PM. Ugh.

tiredmommy

I actually write up a menu and build a shopping list off that and the sale fliers. It's nice to always have what you need on hand.

Mayapple5

When there were five of us living here I made a monthly menu and shopped according to that. I loved it, I knew what we were having and had things out of the freezer, everything was ready! Now there are three of us and no menu, I wait until about 20 minutes before husband gets home and wonder, HMM? what are we going to have for supper? Then when I do decide on something I usually don't have one of the ingredients! I must get back to the menu!

Tonight easy child 3 is coming home for supper and we are having our first hamburgers on the grill of the season, first bowl of potato salad and baked beans (from a can, but I doctor them up a bit) and a homemade double layer cake with cream in the middle that difficult child 2 can even eat, it has very little sugar in it. This is the first meal easy child 3 has eaten with us since she moved out 12/31/08 I'm thrilled!

goldenguru

I do a menu every Monday morning before heading out to the grocery store. I am less apt to overspend, and feel more prepared.

Last night I made an egg bake. So easy.

Brown about 4 cups raw potatoes. Add about 1 t. seasoned salt. Put in a greased 9 x 13 pan. Top with- 1 bag sharp cheddar cheese. (sometimes I add leftover ham, or cooked bacon) Pour 1 dozen beaten eggs over all. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes - till eggs are set. We had fresh fruit salad on the side.

jal

We had beef tenderloin topped with sauteed mushrooms, onions and gorgonzola in puff pastry, a side of shrimp cooked in butter and garlic and a salad. A splurge, but well worth it!

trinityroyal

Last night's dinner...a granola bar and a handful of arrowroot biscuits. (I was feeling a bit delicate in the stomach and couldn't face any actual food)

Today, I'm feeling very lazy, so the menu is steak salad.
husband will barbecue the steak, I will throw together a salad with whatever happens to be in the fridge (I'm hoping for bell peppers and cucumber, but I haven't looked yet...), I will slice the steak and put it on top of the salad. Voila.

Thankfully, this is one of Little easy child's favourite meals so I'm not likely to suffer too much from kid-whining. Funny...Little easy child really seems to like a lot of my "lazy mom" meals. I guess they're familiar ;-)

crazymama30

Tonight is cheesy chicken and rice. Put 2 cans cheddar soup, 1 can crm celery or crm chicken, add 3 cans water, and 2 cups rice. Stir. Put 5 or so chicken breasts in mixture (I just throw them in frozen) and cook. This makes enough for my family of 4 and my mom and grandfather. We will have frozen mixed vegies with it. If they whine I might torture them.