So Whatever Happened to that Concert....?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
After winter break, difficult child came home from school with news that most of January would be filled be rehearsals for the concert (which was supposed to be a Black History Month / February event). There were going to be some early morning rehearsals, some after school rehearsals, and a few during school practices to make sure everybody was ready for the show. difficult child was very excited and put in some frantic effort "practising" before rehearsal...

Well, the first week, difficult child attended three rehearsals. The stories I heard were along the lines of "Well, Teacher wants me to play with BOTH hands....but I told him that using my right hand AND my left hand was really hard!" and "Teacher wants me to play ALL the notes....but I told him my fingers aren't long enough to reach those" and "Teacher keeps changing the rhythm....but I told him that if everyone was going to be singing that I needed to slow way down..."

Rehearsals for the rest of the month seemed to evaporate after that....I kept hearing that nothing was scheduled...

And now, here we are, in February...

I asked difficult child when was her concert?

"What? Oh yeah - the concert....oh, I guess that got cancelled..."

So - that is that.

Is this the real story? I have my suspicions...but I guess we'll never know...

paperplate

Ours got cancelled too. My little one was supposed to have a January concert, but after the shootings NATURALLY a bunch of kids started calling in threats etc..anyway, it was probably the main reason for ours being cancelled. He was supposed to have it last night, but he has the flu :( Little man missed his first big concert...although he is PAINFULLY shy and probably would have just puked! LOL

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Paperplate, it's probably good in your case! Actually - DF's difficult child likely made the whole concert up... She's very good at that! :wink:

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Well, at least that's over, smile.

Yes - thank goodness!

And I am SOOO glad I stuck to my guns and did not get involved! You know that if I had tried to intervene in the beginning I would have been painted as the "evil, un-supportive Mom" who was squashing her child's dreams and holding her back (yadda, yadda, yadda) and difficult child would have played that angle to the hilt - all crocodile tears about how her parents were making her throw away her natural musical talents...

Instead, it sounds like difficult child couldn't live up to her own hype - and while her fellow performers surely saw this, at least she was spared the humiliation of a very public (and likely very poor) performance.

Whew!

TerryJ2

Whew. Obviously, you did the right thing.
I'm so sorry that she came up with-all of that and then ... who knows? But it is no reflection on you. Except that you let it fall in her lap, either way. :) Good job.