Mashed Taters
Mashed Turnips
Peas
Tri-color string beans with carrots
cranberry sauce
biscuits

Pumpkin and Apple pie for dessert.

Hot Sangria.

I'm keeping it simple. I usually do more, but I'm just not in the mood for all that prep.

Woofens

We are having T day dinner at my sisters. SO and me and our 3 little ones, my mom and difficult child D (this should be fun) my sis, her husband and their 5 kids, and 2 family friends.

We are having:
2 15 pound deep fried turkeys (sis cooking)
stuffing (sis cooking)
mashed potatoes and gravy (sis cooking)
candied yams (me cooking)
homemade egg noodles (mom cooking)
brussel sprouts (me cooking)
pasta salad (me cooking)
deviled eggs (me cooking)
apple and cherry pie (sis cooking)

Hey..... having it all written out like that makes me realize I'm doing alot of the cooking :(

I tried to talk SO into cooking tonight and delivering then loading up the kids to go to Virginia Beach for a couple days. We are going shopping tonight, might still try to convince him LOL

Jan

Last edited:

Jena

Ok can i come over?? LOl

You wanna laugh after that whole ordeal i went through over the holiday the kids are now complaining about going out to eat with my parents LOL!! Wow, i can't make anyone happy so i'm officially giving up and going to make me happy

They like the traditional turkey cooked at home, so do i to be honest. So i said look grandma and pop pop are alone this year/their getting older, it's the "right" thing to do and we will have a good time!! If i have to make you :)

too funny

Star*

call 911........call 911
We're having 25 and any orphans to the ranch.

We've made 4 turkeys, smoked and slow roasted, 2 breasts
Honey Baked Ham/spiral sliced with capers
Alaska King Crab legs are being flown in by friends bro. who works fed ex.
Oysters on the 1/2 shell
2 kinds of stuffing
Cranberry jelly
Cranberries
Sweet Potatoes baked in the pit
Corn on the cob
Asparagus
Beets
Waldorf Salad
Tahitian Delight (its a dessert)
Home made yeast rolls
Fresh crock hand churned butter
Home made soda bread

Brownies Apple pie, Pumpkin pie, Cool whip and hand whipped cream.

There's beverages, hot mulled cider, punch, bottle water, and a mini bar with mini booze and beer for the men in the garage AWAY from the kids. NO BOOZE or bottles in front of children - ranch rules.

And we fixed a little dessert tray tower with alkaseltzer, Prilosec, tums and toothpicks.

We had sent placemats to all the invitees ahead of time with children and a free box of markers and crayons to decorate all the placemats....

And each family will be taking home leftovers.....

Beats -2003 - festivities...

OMG DID YOU GET THE TURKEY OFF THE BELT AT THE PIGGLY WIGGLY?

I BROUGHT IT IN MOMMA -
(looks towards front door)
AND THERE IN THE FRON YARD, PROUD AS YOU PLEASE, STANDING NEXT TO A VERY DISGUSTED DF, 1/2 BURRIED IN THE DIRT WAS OUR FROZEN TURKEY PUT THERE BY 3 BULLDOGS.....

gcvmom

Here we go again!
There will be 11 at my house this year. And maybe three pop-ins (as opposed to Poppins, or Pop-Tarts) -- my mom, brother and his fiance.

On day's menu we have:

Hot artichoke dip and crackers
Assorted crudites and ranch dip (I KNEW I forgot to get something at the store)
One 19lb turkey
Stuffing
Mashed taters
Homemade gravy
Cranberry sauce
Green beans
Gingered yam & peaches dish my uncles beg for every year
Salad (uncle #2's wife bringing)
Vietnamese surprise (whatever uncle #2's wife decides to make -- usually something delicious!)
Sparkling apple cider (uncle #1 bringing)
Thai surprise (whatever uncle #1's wife decides to make -- never know if it will be edible or not)
Wine (rose and merlot -- for me :) )
Pumpkin pie (if I get time to make it tonight)
Cranberry Panettone (I could eat this every day)

I usually make a couple more sides, but it's just too crazy this year.

And we ARE using PAPER GOODS for the first time :D
I'll drag out the good stuff for Christmas... providing mother in law doesn't drive me to drink before then.

crazymama30

We eat Thanksgiving over at my grandfather's, with myself and my Aunt cooking

Turkey (aunt to cook)
stuffing (aunt to cook)
relish tray (mom or aunt)
cranberry sauce (aunt)
gravy (aunt)
green beans(aunt)
crescent rolls (me)
candied yams (yams)
pumpkin pie (me)
pecan pie (me)

Then on Saturday, I will make our immediate family a turkey dinner as I want the leftovers. Will be a busy weekend, as easy child has a Christmas parade Saturday evening, then on Sunday we go cut our tree. Have to make turkey on Saturday, as we have to take turkey sandwiches out to the woods to get our tree Sunday.

goldenguru

15 # turkey - stuffed with- corn bread stuffing.
pan gravy
10 # mashed potatoes
whole grain yeast rolls
winter squash
peas & peanuts
cranberry/fruit relish
sweet potato pie with- heavy cream

Gosh I'm so hungry and this just makes me salivate. :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
HEY GCV MOM - how about a little Captiain? lol....snort- I am So funny -

BUT WHY IS THE RUM ALWAYS GONE?

klmno

Star, are you serious? 25 people?? Where did you find that many?? (Just kidding!)

We're having:
Turkey/stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Either green beans or peas
Candied yams
Cranberry sauce
Rolls
Pumpkin pie (difficult child is going to make this- he also says he wants to do the turkey and stuffing, which I will supervise!)

We always give our dogs, who RARELY get table food, a small plate of turkey and gravy with a few of the simple vegies.

We also have our tradition of munchies which lasts from Thurs through Sat - before turkey is finished cooking, we snack on brie cheese, a cheese ball, little sausages, smoked oysters, anchovies, crackers, and greek olives stuffed with almonds

The next day, we might do something similar. But we might start with bacon and eggs for breakfast.

The second or third day, I will make sausage balls and we will have cheese fondue to dip them in. We're also going to have strawberries and chocolate fondue this year.

Then, we will have turkey sandwiches and chips, followed by popcorn and a movie.

We normally don't eat quite this much or this well, but at Thanksgiving and New Years, we do.

tiredmommy

We're having:
19 # turkey
Sage stuffing
Cheddar mashed potatoes
Candies carrots
Janet's bacon brussel sprouts (see our recipe archives)
Janet's cream cheese corn (see our recipe archives)
Chocolate cream pie
Pecan pie
Pumpkin pie
Homemade whipped cream
Various cheeses, sausages & crackers
A couple great bottles of wine
:thanksgiving1:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Well not really any food... A bad attitude!
But we are going out to dinner... because mother in law can not cook and last time i cooked the whole dinner I almost strangled her and father in law...
father in law hen pecked (no offense to hens) me the whole time about how I was cooking the turkey! I do not cook the stuffing in the turkey, I cook a ton separate.
He whined about that and then just hovered the whole time getting in the way.

mother in law kept saying, "OK what would you like me to do?"
I could not tell her to leave me alone! But I had to be very specific with each task, so it was very tiring... no thinking on your own here!

So this year, I said I am not cooking if they are coming. So they said oh ok well then lets go out to eat.
They have invited family friends as well.
So I said in the hopes of keeping the girls fairly stable, lets do dessert at our house.
Which has turned into a, "What should we bring?"
Only asked 5 times now!
So now after I said I was making a pumpkin pie and an apple pie. Well mother in law made 2 Pumpkin pies. So I am not making pumpkin pie.

They are all coming here. Bringing drinks and whatever. I got tired of telling them what to bring for dessert.
I am just so tired. I am tired of fighting with husband over his parents. I am tired of them.
I don't feel thankful for anything right now. K was choking a dog last night after horse lessons, I was appalled she was in it's face and grabbing it's neck and then it's muzzle.
People were watching, just looking, well we all know the look. I wanted to smack her.
I had to try to talk her down to get her into the car.
I want to cancel Thanksgiving. husband would never consider it.
Respite... I don't want fricken respite if I have to feel like this.

But I hope the rest of you have a nice relaxing and peaceful day! I really do.

At least my pie looks great!!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Toto -- next time just tell mother in law to bring either:

A) Her appetite and a fork! Or failing that,
B) A caterer!

Star, methinks thou hast tipped back a few too many cap'ns today! (hic!)

easy child's 4th grade class had a Farmer Boy feast today. Parents were given recipes from a pioneer cookbook and brought them in. I got to sample a few, and they really were quite tasty. My compliments went to the folks who made the beet pickles, fried apples and onions (with bacon), fried parsnips and chicken pie (easy child passed on that one). Didn't get to try the desserts, but there was vinegar pie (not sure what was in that), mincemeat pie (with the actual meat in it), crackling corn bread (with actual bacon crackling in it), apple pie, pumpkin pie... and that's about all I can recall. It was a pretty neat activity!

Abbey

Spork Queen
No menu for me!!:D Working much of the day, then taking my daughter to the shelter to hand out dinners. That's good enough for me.

(I might munch along the way.)

Abbey

klmno

gcvmom- that is a great idea for school!! I might recommend it here.

Abbey & Totoro- you're welcome to join us- we have plenty- but if anything doesn't go right tomorrow, I was thinking of driving down to Star's way and seeing if she had any leftovers!!

I'm going to have to look deeper in those recipe archives- some of that stuff sounds pretty tastey!! Prime rib doesn't sound too bad to me either- I'm more of a beef person anyway. difficult child, however, loves the white meats- he's looking forward to trying the homemade turkey pot pie that was mentioned on another thread.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
A small turkey breast
Loaded mashed potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes
Mom's pork stuffing
String beans
Gravy
Cranberry-orange chutney
Popovers with-butter
Reisling & Sparkling cider

Very boring, I know, except for the loaded mashed potatoes

Breaskfast is cinnamon sweet potatoes buns. Yum...

Wiped Out

Staff member
There will be 14 of us at our house for dinner.

I'm making:

23 pound turkey (brining as I write)
stuffing
twice baked potato casserole (just needs to be heated tomorrow)
baby carrots with syrup, butter, and pecans
rolls

One sister in law is doing the green bean casserole
One sister in law and two nieces are doing dessert-apple pie, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, and some chocolate dessert.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am on shmy shnonky I hick' mean my donshky with capn heding to Shtarzzz*
hic Captin to Starzz
no turnkey. save me some dezzert hic!

MMMMM Captain