So... what's on the menu?

tiredmommy

We're having lasagna, a green salad and crusty bread tonight. And we'll have turkey tomorrow.

What are you serving?

klmno

You might not want to know this from me- I'm not doing a holiday meal this year. But since you asked ( :D ), I'm having fried pork chops, either fried potatoes or mashed potatoes (haven't decided), beans, and cornbread. And tomorrow, I'll either have leftovers or a bowl of chili with a lot of cheese on top!

Wiped Out

Staff member
We're having lasagna and salad tonight too and rolls-good choice TM:)

As for tomorrow I'm breaking tradition! I usually make a ham or a prime rib roast with country potatoes and pecan carrots but I felt the need to change this year and I'm not sure why although this will be simpler. We ordered fresh pizza from one of our favorite restaurants and we will cook them tomorrow!

easy child is upset about the change even though she loves pizza. I told her if she was willing to help with dinner and clean up I would do the traditional. She didn't like that idea so pizza it is:)

SRL

easy child is upset about the change even though she loves pizza. I told her if she was willing to help with dinner and clean up I would do the traditional. She didn't like that idea so pizza it is:)

LOL, of course mom is expected to shop for the meal, cook the meal, and clean it all up afterwards.

We're having an appetizer spread tonight. Nothing fancy: just a few frozen appetizers, chipped beef dip, raspberry sherbet punch and cookies. Since I'm not travelling yet, tomorrow my family will head to the in laws for a traditional meal and my mom will be joining me here. I think I've settled on cheese enchiladas, guacamole and chips. I have most everything here and it will be easy for us to put together.

I did want to do something different. We have traditional turkey for Thanksgiving and traditional ham dinners for Christmas and it's usually a repeat of the entire menu except for the meat.

Steely

I am going to go to my bachelor friend's house and I am going to make him a bachlorette style Christmas dinner. He provided pork, and I have mashed potatoes or stove top stuffing, a green salad, rolls, green bean casserole out of cans of beans and soup, and a Ms Smith Pie. :tongue:
Oh & I am bringing Baileys!!!
At least I am trying???

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Hmmm...I didn't know people ate corned beef and cabbage for Christmas. I just figured the traditional turkey, ham, or standing rib, or sometimes lamb based on culture.

THAT explains why I was so surprised to see corned beef briskets on sale the other day. I got one for a good price, and even though I don't celebrate Christian holidays as such, I took advantage of the savings and made up a nice "boiled dinner" in the crockpot.

muttmeister

Tonight we had oyster stew, shrimp cocktail, relishes and dip, cranberry ice, and a pot of chili for the younger generation.

Tomorrow we're having ham; I don't usually do ham for Christmas but daughter in law got a special deal on it and I told her I'd cook it. With it we're having au gratin potatoes, squash casserole, green bean casserole, crescent rolls, cranberry relish salad, more relishes and dip, and, for dessert, we have pumpkin pie, mincemeat pie (my grandmother's homemade mincemeat recipe), Christmas poke cake, chocolate cherry fruitcake, suet pudding, and cookies and candy.

jal

Tonight for the first time in 6 yrs we did not go to husband's uncles Xmas eve party. I'm too tired and too worn out to really socialize. I made baked stuffed shrimp (for husband and I), flounder for difficult child, homemade twice baked potatoes and fresh broccoli.

Tomorrow we will have dinner @ my parents. were eating in the early afternoon. The menu is fillet en crute, spinach and gorgonzola suffle and some veggies and a ton of goodies my mom baked. We're eating around 2, but I plan for later in the evening at home some pigs in a blanket and hot artichoke & spinach dip - IF anyone's hungry.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Klmno, you HAVE to have mashed potatoes with fried pork chops...it's the only way to go!

Tonight, husband wanted ( and grilled) steak and I tried my hand at making home made garlic mashed red potatoes. Tomorrow I have a ham I'm going to make in the crock pot with Coke and pineapple.

M

ML

We had ham in the crockpot with a can of coke that someone here suggested. It was awesome. That and fresh green beans, scalloped pots and rhodes rolls. Tomorrow is steaks on the grill, baked and salad. It will be a very relaxing. I miss manster though who is in S. Cal with dad.

everywoman

Well, with a large extended family, the fun never ends...lol. Tonight we were at sister in law---I roasted a turkey, she had a honey baked ham, and all the traditional sides. Tomorrow I'm hosting a multitude---On the menu: Standing rib roast, crock pot mac and cheese, roasted potatoes, brussel sprouts roasted with bacon, creamed cheese corn, veggie casserole, rolls, and other sides. Sat. easy child and daughter in law come in so we are doing a boston butt, chicken pileau, leftovers casseroles from Friday. By the time this weekend is over, I know I will gain at least 5 lbs.

KTMom91

Tonight we went to my sis-in-law's...turkey, etc. Did our annual "draw the number, choose your gift, see what you get" exchange, and I truly lucked out. Sis-in-law's boyfriend is a jewelry designer, and I ended up with a beautiful handmade silver cross!

Hubby and I opened our gifts tonight, and are relaxing in front of the TV. Miss KT is out with some friends. Tomorrow we're having lunch at my mom's...turkey, etc. again, and then I hope we're going to see Nine.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon (with-o), several years running husband & I would choose different cuisines for Christmas; the traditional blow out was just too much food for the 2 of us. Even with an extended family of friends we'd go wild - the more simple or exotic the better.

Our first Christmas together was homemade pizza with all the fixings. It's fun to break tradition & start a new family ritual of your own.

I'm whipping up a nice omelet with a side salad & some French bread. For dessert, a slice of pudding cake that I baked yesterday.

All of your menus sound wonderful - enjoy the eats!

graceupongrace

My special french toast for breakfast -- very decadent, but it is a holiday -- lol!

I'm breaking with tradition for dinner. I usually fix a prime rib for Christmas, but this year I'm making a big, giant pot of a favorite soup that we always make sometime around the holidays, and getting the boys to help with it.

I'm hoping to go running sometime between those two big meals! ;)

katya02

Solace
We broke with our usual tradition completely this year. husband is working 8 - 8 pm Christmas Day so we had a big meal Christmas Eve and opened presents in the evening. Today (now that it's Christmas) I'm going to try roasting a goose for the first time! husband doesn't like goose or duck so he's happy to miss it. The kids and I are going to laze around and play board games. And take care of kittens! :)

LittleDudesMom

For breakfast, our formal meal in the dining room with the "good stuff", will be smithfield ham, fruit salad, bacon, fried potatoes, baked tomotos, egg caserole with sausage and swiss, cin buns, flaky buscuits, and champagne - plain orange juice for the kids.

Our "dinner" will be a ham (those great ones from Costco), scalloped pots, peas, and biscuits. I will just cook the ham and pots and it will stay on the stove for folks to eat whenever....

Sharon

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We're going to my uncle's today. We were ordered to NOT bring anything but ourselves (I think my mom told him a while ago that I was struggling with my depression, though that's better now, and they knew about husband's job loss that has only very recently changed), but we're bringing an apple pie for dessert anyway. His wife is Vietnamese and I believe she is treating us all to dishes from her homeland :) She makes the BEST shrimp chips -- it's made with a shrimp paste, rice flour (I think?) and black pepper, rolled out and cut into squares, then fried quickly in hot oil. She makes another dish with clear noodles, vegetables and beef... no idea what it's called but it's good! I'm just happy to not have to host the party this year. :D

SRL

I did my first cooking today since my surgery! I had assigned one of my kids to waffles and bacon for breakfast but they were having so much fun playing with the new Beatles Rock Band that I just let them be.

:elf:I also (while sitting at the kitchen table) prepared cream cheese/marshmallow cream fruit dip, cheese enchiladas, and guacamole. I'm heading for a rest now and to wait for my mom to arrive...who I hear is bringing my favorite: marzipan! I rented Julie Julia and we're going to watch that while we eat.

Merry Christmas!