So...Wonder Dog Eats Arm Rests....

witzend

I do like using the kongs filled with pb.

I did see these automatic toy dispensers on Its me or the dog. They would be good. You just set one up really high and put a chew toy in it and set it for several hours later and a new toy pops out for the dog to play with. Keeps them from being bored.

I like the biscuits in the kongs (you have to find the ones that fit just right so that they don't flop out) better than peanut butter, because the peanut butter gets all over the carpet. But I stuff buffalo bones with peanut butter in the summer for them to take out to the yard. They love it.

So that's how those toy dispensers work! I've seen them in the box but never quite figured out what it was about. I will have to take a look into the next time I go to the doggie store. It would have to be pretty sturdy to withstand a Mandy attack should she decide that she just can't wait until the next one comes out.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We have a really, really well-behaved mutt. He had a crate when husband lived with BM in an apartment, but when they split he had the run of mother in law's house. So when we got a house, he moved in with us. Good pup. Very patient with the kids. The only real issue I have is him dragging mud into and drooling on my bed.

However... About 2 1/2 years ago he caught himself on a bolt in the back yard and had to have 74 stitches. We put the "lampshade" on him. First coupld of days he was so drugged up he barely moved. Then he started trying to lick. We borrowed a soft-sided "crate" from sister in law (she works at a pet store)... By the next morning he'd chewed through the door. Since husband and I were both working at the time, we then shut him in the downstairs bathroom with food and water. Came home to most of the door frame missing (chewed) and him on our bed. Upstairs. Baby gate... Chewed through. Finally borrowed a metal crate from a friend. Ended up having to replace it because he (somehow) chewed through that as well. Finally just got some mild tranquilizers for him until the stitches came out.

We can't put ant-repellent spikes in the yard because he chews them up - surprised he hasn't poisoned himself yet. Little green army men? Snack. Plastic rulers? Oh boy!

Not bored, just used to having the run of the place. He's got three cats to torture and who torture him back, and husband is home most days.

If he feels secure in his crate, use it. He's not used to freedom and probably thinks he's going to get abandoned again.

donna723

A lot of people use the Kongs to keep them busy. You can put biscuits or peanut butter in them. What keeps them busy even longer is to put food in them, freeze it, and give it to them frozen! You can put peanut butter in them and freeze it, or you can use plain unflavored yogurt - they love that! You can mix little pieces of kibble or treats in the yogurt, or little bits of fruit like apples or bananas, put it in the Kong, and then freeze it before you give it to them. They absolultely love it and it keeps them busy (and out of trouble) for hours.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Little green army men...haha... It makes me think of the movie Toy Story. They're on their walkie talkies - "MEN! TAKE COVER!! THE DOG IS COMING IN!!" They're all hiding behind plants. Dog sniffing around. Oh, no! He's found Joe! (Joe is waddaling around on his fixed feet trying to get away.) Poor Joe. He is now a snack.

Abbey

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The dog is coming in...

I never thought about that, but if I ever watch Toy Story with the difficult children again... I'll be rolling!

I needed that. Thanks Abbey!

Lothlorien

Crate, crate, crate. When you aren't able to supervise, crate. Eating furniture is dangerous. I had a friend whose dog ate the telephone cord and by the time they got home, the dog had died.

If you feel that badly about couping him up, maybe you can find someone to come let him out or walk him, midway through the day.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
not that this helps but being I work for a furniture distributor, you are not alone, many dogs seem to find armrests a feast for for a pup!