SoCal Poster Earthquake Check In!!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We just had a mag 5.8 earthquake about 5 min ago that was centered about 5 miles from where I live. My whole has was rocking and swaying for about 10 seconds. Kids are a bit shaken as are the animals.

Praying it wasn't a precursor to anything bigger...

nvts

OMG! I hope you're right! I'm not sure how they work, does the big one go first followed by little ones, or is there no rhyme or reason?

Rattling beads here (no pun intended!)!

Beth

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks Nvts, we are okay though it was a little nerve wracking!

Usually it's one big one followed by a bunch of little ones (so far there have been a dozen and a half aftershocks, the biggest of which was 3.8), but since we live in such a seismically active area, there's always a possibility that a moderate quake can be the precursor to an even bigger one. We've been told for years and years that the L.A. metro area is overdue for a massive (think 7+) quake.

This is the best link for real-time info on earthquakes:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, looks like it was just downgraded to a mag 5.4 -- okay that's enough excitement for ME for one day!!!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Ha - that was definately an "E" Ticket kinda ride..for sure..

The back of the office is a bit of a mess - no sense in putting it back - will be stacking stuff on the floor for a while. Since we had no phones, land or cell, I shot home - SO is down some yodas ceramic collectibles, I am down a few nicknacks - PCs room is a mess - everthing is on the floor off two wall long cupboard shelfs.

Phones only came on a few minutes ago, and I have heard a lot of sirens going off but down't look like the damage was all that bad and no power was lost.

I try and look at the quakes as a stress releiver instead of gearing up for a big one. LOL

Glad to hear you are all ok GVCmom..

Marcie

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Phones are messed up... I've gotten calls from people outside my area code, but I can't get hold of husband (who is also outside the area code) or my mom, who is in our code.

husband is in a brand new building, so I'm not really worried, plus he's a good 30 miles from the epicenter. I'm sure he felt it, but would just like to hear from him!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Marcie, glad you guys are okay and with minimal mess! My house was already a shambles, so I can't really see any difference ;)

I know they are usually a stress reliever... but Caltech has been saying recently how overdue we all are for a really big one... I know they've been saying it for years, though.

I guess it's a reminder for us to all be prepared (which I admittedly am not, except for the insurance part)!

mom_in_training

All is ok here, Boooooyyyyyy what a shaker, gvc and Marcie I am listening to KFI 640 AM and they keep saying that it was a 5.8 centered in Chino Hills. My sis said that her patio cracked and she lives about 3 minutes from me. I checked my gas meter and other things around here and see no damage. My critters were shaken up to include myself but were good. Oh and I could make calls on the landline but cell phone no way and the texting would work ok one minute but not the next.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks everyone!

MIT, I hope that your sis doesn't have any other damage.

We are just over the hill from Chino Hills, so she probably felt it as good if not more so than us! Plus there have been tons of little aftershocks, but none that I've noticed that affected our house like the first one.

Never a dull moment here in California!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow. Glad you all are ok. Hope everyone else is too.

And that's enough excitement for you guys for one day.

(((hugs)))

mom_in_training

thanks gvc for the link. My sister said that she could see her house flexing bigtime as she was trying to walk towards her kitchen from the laundry room. Just felt an aftershock about 5 minutes ago if that. I am on the other side of Chino Hills.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
There's another cool link on the same page... You click on the link on the right side that says "List of Earthquakes on this map", then you can click on a particular earthquake reading which gives you access to a Google maps link where you can see the aerial view and scroll around to find your house in relation to the epicenter. Pretty neat :)

susiestar

Roll With It
husband was on a conference call with someone in CA. At first they thought this guy was shaking his desk to get off the interminable conference call!!!

All were OK with his co, I hope we continue to all be OK.

Susie