Some good thoughts please

mstang67chic

Going Green
I got back from my weekend today and took my sister home as she had a camp thing this afternoon. My original plan was to hang out at my dad's for the rest of the day as a couple of our cousins (a brother and sister, Jo and Ja) from Michigan came down to help dad with a new privacy fence. Jo does construction so rather than paying a stranger, Dad decided to keep it in the family.

Anyway, sis and I got back around 1:30 this afternoon and shortly after we got there, Jo got a call from his wife, S, in Michigan. Their youngest, A (he's 10) was on the back of a Rhino (some four wheeler type thing???) that was being driven by his older brother. According to S, they were in the front yard and were NOT going very fast but apparently they turned too sharp and rolled it. A was pinned under it and broke his thigh bone. They live in the country outside of a small town so A was eventually taken via ambulance to a hospital in Lansing. They were originally going to take him straight to surgery but then the doctor decided to get more xrays and has scheduled it for tomorrow morning.

When Jo first got the call, S told him to stay here because A would be in surgery before he could get back up there and she had it under control. I guess though, when they were moving him for the second set of xrays, A was in a lot of pain and was doing a good bit of screaming. That, of course, upset S who called Jo and asked him to come back.

We've since received a picture via text from Ja of A....poor kid...he's on morphine and seems to be doing better but he still looks a mess. But, the morphine is keeping his pain way down and they have his leg in traction till the surgery. It looks like they are going to put a pin or something in his leg which I guess is pretty normal for this type of break. It doesn't seem to be a particularly nasty break....well, it IS but nothing that will affect him long term, so we're anticipating a good outcome. We're a short family though and A is just a little guy and such a sweet/ornery kid....I feel so bad for him. AND his mom....Jo was shaken enough from the call, I can't imagine poor S up there when A was screaming and in so much pain. And aside from the pain, surgery and recovery, poor A was so excited about starting football shortly but that's most definately out of the picture for this year.

But if we could get some good thoughts sent out for A and the gang, I would appreciate it. I'll pass them on to his folks too and his siblings/cousins as most of them were there and were pretty shaken by the whole thing. Ja's daughter called her quite a few times before they left and was just sobbing. Jo and Ja as I said, are brother and sister and only live a mile from each other on the same road. They are really close as are all of their kids so the whole bunch is upset. I'll post an update when I get word on the surgery.

Last edited:

DammitJanet

Sending mega, huge country hugs from here too.

This is another one who refused to allow those things around my kids for this very reason. They scared me.

Lothlorien

I have major issues with those 4-wheelers. If you remember me posting about the major blow out I had with the neighbors.....this is why. I'm so sorry That type of break is going to take a long time to heal. He's lucky. Being so far from everything, it could have been a lot worse. Had he severed the artery in his leg, from the break, he would have likely died.

Will keep him in my thoughts....poor kid.

nvts

Another one here rattling beads! I hate those bloody things! It seems that we have enough stuff in this life to protect our kids from - why hand them keys to something unnecessary to up the ante?

Many positive thoughts for Jo, S and A!

Beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
POSITIVE VIBES BEING SENT OUT FOR THE A TEAM!!!!! WOW - I THINK YOUR FAMILY NEEDS AN EXTRA MOJO BAG OR SOMETHING - what a rough year for you all!! HOW IS THE LITTLE BABY BOY DOING?

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thanks all. A should be going into surgery now...I'll update when I hear something.

As for the baby boy...he's doing good and last I knew was up to 4lbs 9oz.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Just got word that A's surgery went great. I hurt just thinking about it though...poor kid. They put two rods in his leg and will have him up and standing sometime this evening.

Thanks for all of the good thoughts although I suspect that he and his parents will need them as he recovers. I don't know yet what kind of cast or set up they will have him in but I can't imagine it will be all that pleasant or easy.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm so sorry the poor kid has to go through this! But also very thankful he didn't have a more serious injury (thinking spinal cord or brain...) that those vehicles are so notorious for. :(

I hope he heals up quick, as most kids are apt to do. And that this is soon just a memory... Tell him I hope he gets lots of good pain medications and lots of pampering! Draw a chicken on his cast for me, would ya? ;) And maybe a donkey for Star!

Lothlorien

Stang, there was apparently a huge report on CBS last night about the Rhino. It was on this morning. There are hundreds of lawsuits against Yamaha for injuries related to the Rhino. His parents may have a case.

mstang67chic

Going Green
That was mentioned Monday before Jo left to go back home. I don't remember who but someone said they had seen a commercial with a phone number to call if you had ever rolled a Rhino. I'm not sure if they will call or not. I know they weren't going fast so I guess it would depend on if the kids were riding on it in the proper positions. We'll see.

Lothlorien

Stang, the report stated that these things roll even when people aren't going at high rates of speed. From the way things appear, they are getting sued left and right for this thing. There have been over 35 deaths from riding this thing and thousands of injuries.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I got another update and I hurt just thinking about it. There is to be NO cast for this kid. They are already working on getting him up and WALKING as the rods/pins will be supporting the bone. A isn't handling that idea all that well. I'm sure because of the pain and he's probably scared of the pain also. Anyone would be but at his age, he's not got that logical override thing going on that tells you "I know it hurts but I HAVE to do this".

Ja (A's aunt) was the one I talked to so I told her to tell A to milk it for all he can. He has a broken bone, calcium helps bones......ask for all the ice cream he can get his hands on! LOL

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Sending good thoughts and prayers for speedy healing for A and the gang! Let us know how it goes.