Some nice news...

N

Nomad

My son picked the song for us to dance to at the wedding. "Mother and son" dance. It's "You Raised Me Up," by Josh Groban. (There is more to this story...too much to type out here). The lyrics really touch my heart. He also likes "You've Got A friend" by James Taylor. They both just thrill me.

We all went out as a group...son, fiance...family...including difficult child. She was totally appropriate....really lovely. It was such a gooood thing. Did my heart good.

To make matters MORE interesting...today we went to see the new movie UP. Wowzeer. I'm on emotional overload.

:D

Andy

What an awesome great day! It feels so good for everything to work out for one entire day and then when the kids do something special to add to the already good day - WOW!!! Special day for you indeed!

I have not seen any advertising on UP! Just heard about it the other day. Maybe it is a sign I just don't watch as much t.v. as I use to?

DammitJanet

That is a really wonderful song. I have another song that I love too called A song for my son. Check it out on youtube.

Star*

call 911........call 911
NO pictures???????

I'm glad you had a great time kiddo - you deserved it!

I'm also secretly cheering for difficult child......BRAVO girl!

trinityroyal

What a beautiful song. I agree...have lots of hankies on hand for that one.

And glad to hear that difficult child was appropriate.

Lovely post, thanks for sharing.

N

Nomad

The wedding is mid June...it seems like it should be here already. Since it is out of town, there are many extra little things to take care of.

Sadly, we spoke with son and future daughter in law. She already assigned relatives to watch over the signing of the guest book. Sigh.

We asked about another "job" for difficult child to do. She thought of something, but son didn't really like the idea. It was something the hotel was going to send someone from the wedding office to do.

So, now we are at at a loss.

by the way....a weird part of all this. Future daughter in law asked me and daughter/difficult child to wear the SAME colors as bridesmaids.

I told difficult child this was symbolic of how much she cared for us. difficult child liked this ALOT.

As it turns out, difficult child is also wearing the same color SHOES (silver). Her dress is almost the EXACT same color as the bridesmaids. In the "old" days...this would be WEIRD. Is this a new trend? Bottom line: Colorwise...difficult child's clothing will be VERY VERY similar to the clothing of the bridesmaids. YET, she's got no special role in the wedding. She is going to the rehearsal dinner though and the couple is buying her a nice gift.

My dress is the same color, but a few shades darker...of course a different style. I hope this looks okay.????? Someone please advise. I'm just doing this by the seat of my pants and could use a little help!!!

So...difficult child has no special job, but will be dressed very similar to the bridesmaids...all a little odd (I think). But she did like the idea of being seen as someone at least a tad "special." Lately, she seems more content about things...please keep a good thought.

Last edited:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Nomad, my nephew's wife did the same thing. I guess it's not uncommon with that age group. She asked immediate family members to wear the colors of her wedding. In her case it was lilac so my sister in law (her future mother in law) and niece (her future sister in law) had a heck of a time finding either lilac dresses (sister in law) or a dress with lilac in it (my niece).

When I got married I only had sister in law as a matron of honor but I bought small flower bouquets for my Mom, my future mother in law, and my good girl friends who were there so they could feel special even though they weren't in the wedding party. It's a similar sentiment to what your future daughter in law and my nephew's wife did with the dress colors.

Suz

ScentofCedar

Nomad, this was such a nice posting. It's wonderful to celebrate the good things together, too.

I'm very happy for you ~ and for difficult child.

Barbara

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Nomad, I love that song and it's so nice that it was chosen for you!

Enjoy the wedding - the attire thing is not something I'm familiar with. Not sure if I'd want to go with the 'dress code' myself, but sounds like it's a growing trend. Maybe that is the difficult child in me - lol.

lovemysons

hi Nomad,

Happy to hear about the wedding plans...love the song choices your son chose for you and he to dance to at the wedding. He sounds like a REALLY nice young man.

Glad your difficult child has been more content about things lately.

Hugs,
Tammy

Fran

Former desparate mom
Wonderful post.
The only person who needs to be happy is the bride and groom. Ask them about the colors.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I love good news!

When I got married to my ex we chose teal and purple. I had one maid of honor and she and Mom wore teal. Ex, his best man & my Dad wore tuxes, they with purple and Dad with teal. Ex-mother in law didn't go with what we asked and wore black and white as did Ex-sister in law. Ex-father in law did wear a tux with purple. (Purple accents - tuxes were black!)

When husband and I married, we let the clothes dictate the colors. Found difficult child 1 a sea green dress, and when we found mine it was aqua. So we put the boys in khakis - difficult child 2 wore a sea green polo, husband an aqua madras-type shirt. difficult child 1 was my maid of honor/bridesmaid/flower girl, and difficult child 2 was best man/groomsman/ring bearer. We invited only parents and sister in law, her kids & grandson, and my best friend and her H (they're sibs to me anyway). So we had a total of 11 people not counting us 4 and the preacher.

I think you'll be fine. And don't worry too much - something WILL go wrong, that's the nature of too much planning. So relax, and it won't be such a big deal.