Somebody dissed the spork today

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
and at first I didn't catch it.

I was going over my notes of things to accomplish for work when my boss was sitting there eating a salad. She goes "I just love eating salad with a spork." I looked up and said "Me too, it is the best of both worlds for your food."

She started to look at me like I had lost my mind (as if there was any possibility that I had it to begin with). Then I realised that she was not being serious. After I left work I had to laugh.

I could not believe anyone would not love the spork.

beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmm. Well, I've never attempted eating salad with one, so I won't comment. lol

But I don't mind them usually. They can come in quite handy. Especially if you have a husband that needs sporking. :rofl:

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Having a spork is the only way to eat KFC Coleslaw and Mashed Potatoe's when you are driving. But when I stopped the other day on my way to take Dan to work, I opened up the bag, dragged out the coleslaw and asked him to open the package with my spork - and he says they don't do sporks anymore - you have a fork and a knife - not even a spoon...wth..I can't eat the coleslaw with a fork when I am driving...jeeze...I have to look now to make sure I don't drop it all over myself.

I guess I am going to have to find a place that actually sells sporks, and I know I will never hear the end of it. They laugh because I have my own set of chopsticks I carry in my purse just in case we are out and stop for Sushi.

Marcie

Marguerite

If you have trouble getting sporks, try a Splayd.

They are an Aussie alternative, they work better I reckon because they have good points on the tines as well as a sharper edge for cutting. But not too sharp, you don't cut your mouth on them in any way. The bowl of a Splayd is angled better for the food to slide off into your mouth, but still deep enough to not spill too easily. The tines are longer, too.

husband & I were given a set of buffet-size Splayds (ie smaller than usual) for a wedding present, plus a set of (non-genuine) Splayds which we use a lot. Then we acquired a set of full-size Splayds. They are made of stainless steel and can be fairly heavy (in a satisfying way). Our cutlery drawer has its own compartment for our Splayds.

We have some things that would qualify as sporks - we get them in our takeaway food mostly. Much more spoon-shaped but not as easy to use. They're not as good but are the ones I allow to be taken out of the home for picnics. No way will we risk our (expensive) real things!

Marg

Abbey

Spork Queen
OMG...the splayd is COOL! How dare your boss diss the spork.

I try not to buy them...just stumble across them.

Sorry Marcie...I'll have to contact KFC about their critical mistake.

Abbey

Marguerite

I just checked out my stash of plastic spoons, forks etc and found something which comes close to being a plastic Splayd. It has the four tines, they're much longer than the sporks I see on your websites. The tines are half the length of the whole bowl of the thing - in other words, if you consider an oval as being the whole surface of the eating end, the tines are half that length.

So it is closer to being a Splayd but it has the rounded spoon shoulders of a spork and not a Splayd. It functions more like a Splayd though, it is the one I use for picnics orwhen I go to the beach and pack a salad to go with me. I got it (like all the others) from KFC, they hand them out to eat salad with...

I think because Aussies have Splayds, the plastic stuff they hand out over here has to be similar, or people complain.

According to this Powehouse Museum website, Splayds were originally invented in Australia in 1943.

Marg

Abbey

Spork Queen
I think I might have to break down and order a Splayd.

Marg...what is the currency transfer from US to Aussie?

Abbey

Marg's Man

Exchange rate is currently about USD1.00 = A$1.33, there's plenty of on-line exchange rate calculators you can refer to
Marg and I have used the Remo General Store so we can recommend them.

Prices of A$42.00 (about US$32 depending on exchange rate) are a little (but not outrageously) high. That's Remo's, great range, great service all of which has to be paid for.

I did find one mob that do them a lot cheaper but they don't have an international delivery.

Whoever you order from will have an international freight charge as well - no idea what that would be.

Marg's Man

Marguerite

Another thought - Olivia Newton-John began a business called "Koala Blue" which supplied Aussie things to the US, notably for homesick Aussies. Stuff like Tim Tams, Vegemite, Splayds, Jenny Kee hand-knitted sweaters etc. I think Koala Blue went belly-up, but there are undoubtedly other businesses like tihs who might supply you without the exorbitant delivery fees. You could get them to throw in a few packs of Tim Tams while you're at it. I recommend the dark chocolate double coat... you'll never give a D for oreos again!

Marg