Someone, please....help me....

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
LOL Abbers!

These particular cows are breeding stock. They get to live their lives knocked up and/or nursing before they get tazed. One of them has a recent tendency to have twins...

Abbey

Spork Queen
Raised on a ranch. I've seen my fair share of poor cows that don't even know their dooms day when their worth is deemed unworthy of keeping around. Maybe that is why I don't eat meat. Papa always said, "Don't get friendly with the cows." I've seen more than a dozen calves tossed in the corner as they were deemed unworthy to keep around. Breaks my heart.

We were always given a calf to raise and show at FHA. We always knew that someone would buy it to eventually be slaughtered. How can you not bond with something so loving that would follow you everywhere? I'm a animal person. The only ones I had issues with were the hogs. My gosh...they can be MEAN.

Now, if you want to know how to make a chicken go to sleep I can give you a tip on that. My brother and i would toss back and forth a sleeping chicken like it was a baseball. Yep...not a lot to do on the ranch.

Abbers

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OK Abbey... I'll bite.

H & E have chickens. I'm horribly allergic to feathers, so I avoid them. However... The rooster has a nasty habit of coming after me. Can I make him sleep too????? PLEASE?

...They wouldn't like permanent sleep, or I'd take my .22 with me.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
If its like a pheasant, you stick its head under its wing and shake it. Never tried it on a chicken.

A sleeping chicken is a dead chicken at our place.

Tiapet

Old Hand
ok, here's a thought......let's go ask Temple Grandin!!!!! :tongue: Surely she has all the answers about the cows right? :)

Abbey

Spork Queen
haha...good technique. We'd just put their head under their wing and spin around in a circle a few times. Knocked them out cold for a few minutes. We played all kinds of games with those dozey chicks.

Be warned: DO NOT try this with a goose. Those things have more attitude than any of our difficult child's.

Abbers

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I am sure Temple would agree they have a right and a left! In fact, I'd bet she'd look at us odd for even asking!!!! She's coming to our town ina cocuple of weeks...I'm hoping to go see her. Maybe I'll ask! lol

Abbey....is this experience speaking???

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Well, I know that....but I want to know what possessed you to try to put one to sleep?

Enquiring minds want to know!