something good that your difficult child did

crazymama30

I think that sometimes it is hard to see the positive little things that our difficult child's do, things that many take for granted but that make us ectastic. I will start.

Yesterday difficult child helped his sister clean her room, and then I took him to the store and he behaved!! He even went and looked at toys, and when I told him it was time to go he just went with me. He did not argue to beg for toys.

tiredmommy

What a good boy! I bet easy child appreciated the help and you appreciated the peace while shopping.

Duckie had an opportunity to attend a play at the high school on Sunday. She was very difficult on Saturday and lost her chance to see it that night, she was very disappointed in herself. I told her that I'd give a chance with a do-over for the Sunday matinee.

This was no easy feat as Daddy allowed her to stay up late watching a movie and she had to be up early for church. But she did it! She was pleasant and compliant.

And here's the kicker... the weather was so nice Sunday afternoon that she decided to skip the matinee and ask her Dad to take her on a bike ride instead!

crazymama30

Wow, a bike ride instead of a movie. That is a great choice. I love it when they make a good decision all on their own. Just makes it even more sweeter.

jal

I took difficult child to the grocery store on Saturday for the first time in about 6 months. He always asks to go and I say no as it's so hard to keep an eye on him and concentrate. So this weekend I said yes. He STAYED with-me, listened and HELPED! As we were in the check out he helped to put all the groceries on the belt. Usually by now he is at the quarter vending machines and half out the door. He said "when we get home I am going to help put these away because I am part of the family". It was soooo cute. Before he became stable he would never help us and we would tell him he is part of the family and should be helping. Lately, he does help when I bring the groceries home. But YEAH he got it! He was sooo cute that when I didn't have a quarter for the vending machine the cashier slipped us one.

aeroeng

Mom of Three
difficult child:
My difficult child is a harp playing difficult child. He knew his dad loved the song "Stair way to Heaven". He asked his harp teacher about it, researched the music and studied the song until he could play it. This to make dad happy.

difficult child in training:
He was upset last Friday, so we took a walk through a local mall (rainy day). I purchased a Magic Tree House book for him. He read the whole book in one weekend! (Reading is not his thing!) I think I need to get more Magic Tree House books.

TerryJ2

Neat thread.

A harpist? Awesome.

My difficult child went to a local Catholic school and took the entrance exam yesterday. He complained a bit, but in a easy child way :) and didn't ask for anything special afterward.

Wow.

Alttlgabby

Haven't been on in awhile because of appointments and the girls sister came to visit, so been really busy with her as well. Let's see... (difficult child 1)J is TALKING instead of just staring at you and not answering. Her lying is getting to be a lot less. She does her chores if they are written on the board for her to do. She goes to the table most days like she is supposed to and do her homework and is less argumentative about how her problems are right when they are wrong and just listens to you explain how it is wrong. Her hygene is MUCH better! She came and gave me a HUG yesterday when I got home from taking her sister home! (difficult child 2)C... not many problems with her anyway, but she had a track meet on Saturday. From the three races, the two she did on her own, she won first place! The one she had to run with her team mates, they came in second. Her coach wants her to run in another track meet for him but wasn't sure about the distance. I will take her, no matter the distance. It is what she enjoys. And she says thank you for being there since her Mom never was. She was excited because big sister faked her out last week telling her she couldn't be here this last week because of a Doctors appointment.. So, both girls were surprised when I showed up with sister last Tuesday and she was able to be here for the track meet. All the kids had fun being together. I have had a lot of fun being with them and just watching them.
So, I hope everyone else's difficult child's are doing great!

TerryJ2

(difficult child 1)J is TALKING instead of just staring at you and not answering.

Wonderful!

Her hygene is MUCH better!

Wow, that's a relief. been there done that. Still am.

She came and gave me a HUG yesterday when I got home

Aw ... that makes it all worth it. :)

(difficult child 2)C... she says thank you for being there since her Mom never was.

Oh, that breaks my heart. Sigh.

KTMom91

Miss KT was pleasant and polite this evening!

For the background story, see "He STOLE my table!" on WC.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
ktbug heard her alarm (I didn't hear mine nor did I get up) yesterday morning, took her medications, got ready for school & got on the bus by herself. She left me a note on the fridge:

"Mom, I took my medications. Love, kt"

I was thrilled at this glimpse of maturity & responsibility. One proud mom here.

trinityroyal

Me too, sadly.

Okay, I think I've got one.
difficult child refused to take his medications at the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) about 2 weeks ago. Just adamantly dug in his heels and refused. Said they were wrong and he wasn't going to take them.

The Residential Treatment Center (RTC) Team Lead was going to force him, but the Director of Operations overheard the argument and decided to step in. Turns out that the Team Lead who administers the medications accidentally doubled difficult child's dosage. Since he's already on higher-than-standard doses of a few medications, a double-hit could have caused him serious harm.

Not really good behaviour, but golly! difficult child's defiance saved his bacon. I guess that's the silver lining in the cloud of ODD. ;)

Star*

call 911........call 911
(laughing as I type this beacuse Oh well it's just so bizzare)

Dude called his Public Defender and asked about his case on his own.

Yup - monumental. (but still - why coudln't it have been - Dude brought me a flower or got into Harvard -lol) chuckle....

Andy

Oh, I finally have one - hope it is not too late - hope I am not counting my chicks before they hatch - hope it actually occurs but even the thought is good.

It has been a rough week and a half. We have been absorbed in the anxiety carp.

difficult child's teacher is allowing him to take the open book Science Test that he missed while at therapist appointment today at home tonight. Diva took difficult child and the neighbor girl to supper and on errands, they just got back.

difficult child's good thing, "Mom, D and I are taking puppy for a walk and then I am going to do my Science test!" He is doing it on his own with no reminder!

DammitJanet

Well...mine is not earth shattering but it was cute.

I was over at Cory's today (just that comment is remarkable...lol) and one of his neighbors called him over to their trailer. As he walked over, these three little boys about 5 and under came tumbling and running out the door of their trailer yelling "Cory!, Hey Cory, Lookie Me Cory!" They were jumping on little skateboards and tiny bikes and desperately trying to get his attention. He just wove his way through them giving them all little pats on their heads and responding to them just the way someone does it that you can tell loves kids. He just has such a way with kids. They adore him. It was like watching the Pied Piper. He is so much his fathers son.

Andy

I have to withdraw mine. Doing Science open book test is NOT a good thing. I hate science. The tests have nothing to do with facts spelled out in the chapter. The questions make no sense at all. Thus, I have to listen to difficult child whining about it. I told him to go ahead and hand the paper in empty. I don't care if it gets him an 'F'. If he is not willing to ask the teacher for help than he can take the 'F'.

crazymama30

Many of the great ones are about difficult child's being responisble for themselves and their responsibilities. Like Linda's kt waking up with alarm, leaving for school. Gcv mom's taking out the trash, and Dude calling his PO. These are all great things, but to some they are small. Thank you all, I just needed to see something positive.