Something Helpful

scent of cedar

Esther?!? :O)

Oh, it's so nice to be remembered!

We're doing so much better, now. Finding that piece I posted the address for helped us to feel human while making the decisions we knew were necessary. What's happening is that we're finding it hard to enjoy the lives we've gone on to create without feeling it all turn to dust in our hands when one of the kids is in crisis. It's not even just a question of money, anymore. It's a question of time. We are both getting older, and are beginning to resent the months given over to helping resolve crisis after crisis that is not of our making. Acknowledging the resentment, we see ourselves as terrible parents, heartless human beings...failures as people. Labeling these feelings has helped us understand what it is we have been feeling. I think we are on the other side of those feelings, now. Or at least, we are aware of them enough to be able to counter them to a degree.

Very strange, to realize you do not feel entitled to take joy in the life you have created.

It was so nice to see your response, Esther! I feel stronger. Thank you! And recoveringenabler, I see you are moderating the site, now. Thank you for that. Suz was the moderator, back when I posted so often. She leaped in to pick me up and set me on the right track again more times than I can count. You have taken on an incredible responsibility. When we are in such trouble with our kids, we sometimes forget to express our appreciation for the moderators and for the site. I still look back and understand that I would never have made it through without this site.

Well, not in one piece, anyway! :O)

Kathy813

Staff member
Barbara!! How nice to see you. I'm glad that you have found peace and moved on with your life. That shouldn't stop you from posting and letting us know how your are doing from time to time. I missed you.

I often think of you and some of the others from the old days. I wonder how sunnyflorida and ponygirl are doing. We do hear from Suz and Fran every once in a while.

I copied this from the article because I thought it was especially pertinent for those of us who have loved ones with substance abuse issues:

5. If your adult child has a substance abuse problem, offer love and support for sobriety, but stop rescuing him or her. A drug or drinking problem can, sadly, defy logic and the best of efforts to help. Let your child know that he or she is dearly loved and that you emotionally support his or her sobriety. But bailing him out of trouble again and again may delay recovery. As difficult as "rock bottom" may seem, often it has to happen before the goal of recovery can be realized. It may mean withdrawing all financial support or not allowing your child to move back home (and steal from you to support a habit). It may mean letting him stay in jail after the latest DUI. It is agonizing to stand back and watch addiction spiral out of control, but especially if rehab has been a revolving door, sobriety lost and found countless times, there may be little you can do except to set firm rules, stop decreasing the uncomfortable consequences of maintaining a habit, and express your unwavering love and your hope that your son or daughter can and will get clean and sober.

Thank you for sharing!

~Kathy

DDD

Hey, Stranger. Thought I would toss in that Sunny and I are hooking up at Chili's next week when I head out for a Dr's appointment. She, Deb and I have tried to get together every year but skipped last one. I wish more of us could get together and get updated. It's good to see you, Barbara. DDD

trinityroyal

Barbara! So very nice to see you. It's been such a long time.
I am very glad to hear that you're finding peace and taking joy in your life.

Trinity

scent of cedar

DDD, which Chili's? I think you are all farther north than we are. I WAS able to meet Sunny, once. :O)

Kathy 813! My goodness ladies, it's like I have never stopped posting! So very nice to feel you all out there, again.

scent of cedar

Trinity! :O)

I saw your post just as I posted in response to DDD and Kathy 813. Such a rush of warmth with each of the names I remember so well! I will have to go through some of the recent posts to learn how each of us is doing these days. Thanks, Trinity!

DDD

You're right. We're in Florida but the Margaritas likely taste just as good where you are, LOL DDD

Fran

Former desparate mom
Hi Barbara, it is really wonderful to hear from you. Hopefully, you are making progress in this crazy life we live.

Ephchap

Welcome back, Barbara! I'm going to miss having my annual margarita with DDD and Sunny, but if you want to sit in my seat this time, I'll toast you cyberly. :) I'm hoping to get down there in the Spring, DDD, so don't permanently give away my seat just yet. lol

Deb

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Suz was the moderator, back when I posted so often. She leaped in to pick me up and set me on the right track again more times than I can count.

Hi Barbara,

This forum was home to me for a decade and posters, like you, were more family to me at times than my own. Thank you for making me feel as if I helped you. It means a lot.

Hugs,
Susie

scent of cedar

Suz! :O) Still waiting for Mr. Gere, I see. When is that man going to wake up?!? And you did make a difference for me, Suz. It is almost impossible to change our definitions of success or failure, or to refocus intent. You truly did help me learn how to think about and redefine a situation I never in a million years envisioned for myself. You taught me how to respond, right down to the words I would need. And it all worked, Suz. Once I could get my eyes open, once I took those first steps into "not the perfect, ever loving, non-judgmental mom" I was able, just a little bit at a time, to become a healthier mom. (I'm still working on that part.)

And Fran! :O) I have made progress, Fran. And that all began for me when you, who seemed so competent and together, shared with all of us "The Scream". Do you remember that? I understood then that no one had singled me out, that my failure to have created what I'd focused my life on was simply, the truth ~ and that I would, like you had done, need to learn how to be the best I knew to be, and do the best I knew to do with my children and with my life. So, I am stronger now, instead of destroyed.

And Witz, and Kathy 813. :O) (You've changed your avatar, Kathy ~ I like this one alot!). Deb and everywoman, Sheila and DDD and rejectedmom. Oh, we've been through so much together. I see Dammit Janet is still with us, too. (Hey, Dammit!). Does anyone know whether Going North is still posting?

Remember those cyber parties we used to have? And the thread on Gray's Anatomy, and how we laughed at those panties on the bulletin board?!?

Ha!

Laughter has been as much a piece of how we've all survived what's happened to our kids as sharing what we've learned about how to respond to them.

I'm so glad I came back.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Barb, laughter has gotten me through a great deal. You are right. You sound pretty healthy right now. I'm glad for you.
It's funny that you brought up "The Scream". Every once in a while when someone asks pointed questions about difficult child that locked door, opens a crack and all that anguish washes up into my voice and the tears start to gather in my eyes. I don't think anyone who experiences the degree of pain we parents of difficult child's feels can get up and have a life until we find a way to get past it. I am a mother of difficult child but I am a woman, a wife, a mom, a friend, and on and on. I won't let one role to suffocate the other roles. But "the Scream" is still behind that shut door.

Hope your life moves ahead with peace and joy and a little less difficult child trauma's.

Estherfromjerusalem

Barbara, I'm also so pleased you came back! I hope you'll stay with us. I may not write here very often, but I come here at least twice a day, just to look in and to feel at home with the "family."

Love, Esther