Something nice for a change

JKF

difficult child has been out on "his own" for almost two months now. He seems to be doing well in spite of a few small issues.

Anyway- he recently reconnected with a boy he was in the group home with years ago. This boy lives in the same town difficult child is currently in. They and another kid have been spending a lot of time together driving around and hanging out and just being 18 and 19 year old kids. Last night they were at the community college watching football practice and tonight they're bowling. They go to the mall, play video games, walk around, drive around, etc. I just realized that this is something new for difficult child. He hasn't really ever had these opportunities to act like a "normal" kid.

Of course there are still major issues and I worry nonstop that he's going to wind up in trouble but when I think about it I am really happy for him that he is finally getting to experience some normal rights of passage in his young adult life.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
This is really good news! It warms my heart to hear this, just thinking about him hacking around with other kids his age doing fun stuff is wonderful. Thanks for posting JKF, makes me smile.....
:smile:

InsaneCdn

Those normal rites of passage are stepping stones. Doesn't mean he won't fall, but... each step to a higher level makes other choices better.