Sometimes I feel like my life is a Big Bang Theory episode...

trinityroyal

Points of evidence:

1) Earlier this evening, husband and I were having an argument about whether To Decimate means "to reduce to 1/10 of the initial number" or "to reduce by 1/10 of the total number". After duelling internet searches and a quick check of the OED, we came to an agreement that it means "to reduce severely", in general rather than mathematically specific terms.

2) husband has been trying to teach Tyrantina to speak Klingon. Just before bedtime tonight, he got her to say Qapla! (The Klingon battle cry).

There's plenty more, but I'll stop there.

So my question is, are we regular-geeky, or scary-geeky?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
It sounds like you live in my house, dear.

I think we qualify for scary geeky. Really.

The family joke is that husband was uninterested until I started talking about flashing the BIOS on my computer. So... I had him at BIOS...

H

HaoZi

So you're asking the person who taught her difficult child to ask for help in Russian because she couldn't find Klingon language lessons on iTunes? Who has discussions with her kid about the jaw strengths of meglodon vs T-Rex? Who writes about theoretical applications of nanotechnology?

muttmeister

On my Facebook page the other day somebody posted, "You know you're a history geek if you're still upset by the fate of the library in Alexandria." I had to laugh because I've sat around a few times feeling bad about that. So geeks here too.

keista

I *think* teaching your child Klingon verges over to scary-geeky, but just like for the others, it's "normal" around here.

InsaneCdn

Ummm.... Trinity?
Just don't come visit, OK? Because... the geeks around here would catch on to that stuff so doggone fast, and leave me in the dust...
(not that I'm not a geek, I'm just... an even stranger geek, I guess)

Geekdom is where most of us live, around here... at least from what I've seen since I came on board!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
By Jove, Trinity, you've taught me something! For dec-ades I thought that dec-imation was a practice of the Romans to punish cowardly soldiers. Their officers had them line up and every tenth (dec-) man was killed. According to Wikipedia, that is wrong. Thank you for the clarification.

husband is super geek. Few people understand what he is saying, so count us in.

muttmeister

I'm used to geeks in all forms. I love Big Bang Theory. My friend and I were talking about the show and we decided that Sheldon reminded us of our other friend's brothers but we decided we'd better not mention that to her as he's so far out. So when we were talking to the other friend about the show she said, "Yeah, Sheldon reminds me of my brothers." We had a good laugh but none of us are too far behind her brothers either. I'm glad to be old enough to embrace my inner geek without feeling embarrased.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Sheldon reminds me of difficult child 2 who wrote his own dragon alphabet, language, and story book (complete with illustrated cover) in 5th grade. Sure he was hypomanic then, but who cares?

trinityroyal

By Jove, Trinity, you've taught me something! For dec-ades I thought that dec-imation was a practice of the Romans to punish cowardly soldiers. Their officers had them line up and every tenth (dec-) man was killed. According to Wikipedia, that is wrong. Thank you for the clarification.

3S, that was one of the definitions we were discussing. We knew about the Roman practice of offing every 10th soldier in a company after a shameful loss in battle. The real discussion began when we started to talk about common usage.

I knew we were in trouble when we both dismissed the Wikipedia and Merriam Websters definitions because they didn't include enough source documentation. :sigh:

trinityroyal

:rofl:

I knew there was a reason I love this board so much. I was always "she's nice enough but she's a little eccentric" when I was growing up. It's so lovely to just fit in. Wheee!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am still wondering about the fate of the people who don't worry about all the knowledge lost when the library in Alexandria was destroyed. Are these people smart enough to breathe? seems to me they are about on hte level of a paramecium, so clearly they need reminders to inhale and exhale. Poor things, probably gives paramecium a bad name to have those people compared to them.

The question isn't if you are too geeky, it is what would happen to the world if there were fewer of us geeks reproducing. Can you imagine what the world would look like in a few generations if the geeks quit having kids? Isn't that scary?

Star*

call 911........call 911
For those of you who do not speak Klingon......(the exception here being Mr. Trinity and Tyrantina)

The wife?? Ritualized torture by women!! Today is a good day to die.

Loosely translated in English - Give it up son - even if there aren't more female Klingons in the house - daath would be a wise choice over argument.