Sometimes the stupidity of the world still amazes me

muttmeister

I've been applying to nanny agencies to get registered to be a nanny. I just got an email from one of them. Apparently, even though I have a Master's Degree in education and nearly 35 years of teaching experience, because I have not had a child care position within the last 8 years, I am not qualified (I have been caring for my elderly mother during that time). Really?

L

Liahona

Common sense is replaced by a "cover my own rear legally" attitude. Could you advertise without an agency? With those qualifications anyone would be ecstatic to have you as a nanny.

C

Confused

muttmeister,

So sorry to hear that, you do sound qualified! Don't give up! Continue to look around, its their loss! I agree with you about some of the people in the world, its something else and sad.

Lothlorien

If only you lived in NJ...there are wars over trying to find a qualified person to take care of their children in certain areas. You'd be a major commodity here!

DammitJanet

Thats a really good idea busy. Also Mutt if you would be interested in being a tutor instead, I know our schools are handing out names to parents. Supposedly we have some program here that is run through Sylvan or another one of those type places and they help students either at the school or in their homes. Maybe you could contact Sylvan.

Or I just thought about this if you want to be a nanny or caretaker....maybe make a smallish resume that could be put on an index card sized card and hand them out to doctor's offices, nursing homes, day care centers...or if this town has its own website or facebook page, advertise there.

trinityroyal

Mutt, I think the others have some great ideas.

FWIW, when we were looking for in-home help with the Monster-Tot twins, the people sent by the nanny agencies were HORRIBLE. Lots of credentials, no idea how to handle children.
You might have better luck as an independent, with no agency affiliation.

*Trinity