Son arrested again

stalln4x

Last week was difficult child's 17th birthday. Arrested twice for possession. Yesterday he was arrested again. I think it all started with the marihuana but it has since become far worse. Now he snorts bath salts and snorts kratom. It all reached critical mass last night when he took LSZ and molly at his girlfriends party, he started freaking out people said shaking and running around. Then he started screaming at the postman and started pelting him with doritos while making a really weird smile. Things were out of hand by the time the police showed up, by then he had passed out in the neighbors shrubs after sucker-punching his girlfriend. I'm so concerned about him, but I've had to turn to tough love lately. Perhaps I should turn him in for all the drugs he always has. What do you think?

DammitJanet

It sounds to me like your son is in enough trouble. One of us years ago said we dont have to be our kids probation officers and call them every time they take a wrong turn. I have always agreed with that. eventually they do themselves in.

I dont think I would bail him out though. Is 17 an adult in your state or is he still being dealt with as a juvenile? I think I would let him stew in his own juices because it might make him think about his descent into the depths of drug use.

BusynMember

Wow. I'm so sorry about your troubles, which most of us well understand. If turning him in is the only way to get him help, and make sure he goes, I would turn him in. Once he turns eighteen, your options will disappear, and it sounds like he is a serious drug user who is putting himself at risk.

Can you share a little about his background? Has he stated that he wants to quit? Will he go for help willingly? And, yes, is seventeen an adult in your state?

toughlovin

Is he on probation for his other charges? If so I would call the probation officer and let him know he is using drugs, that you are very worried about him and that he needs help. At 17 the courts tend to lean towards trying to get them help vs. punishment. He clearly needs some serious help..... and your taking a stand and supporting him to get help is a good thing.

stalln4x

Can you share a little about his background? Has he stated that he wants to quit? Will he go for help willingly? And, yes, is seventeen an adult in your state?
difficult child's not a legal adult in our state and he's out of control... We bailed him out last night and he couldn't even go the night sober. He had to take methylone to get to sleep and when we tried to take it away from him he revealed that he railed the entire gram and didn't have any left. This morning we looked outside and difficult child was smoking pot and eating cereal on the porch; he just got a ride from one of his friends off to Bed Bath & Beyond since he was in withdrawal from the bath salts. I hate to break such a trust boundary but it had to be done... so we opened up a USPS package addressed to him and it confirmed our suspictions. It was filled with little baggies filled with white powder labeled "Dextromethorphan" and "Sheekle". The wifey and I just don't know what to do...

BusynMember

When my daughter was still a minor and I knew she was doing drugs, our money supply went out the window. She did get a job, which actually was a good thing, and that was her only money. It kept her off the street a few nights a week. I'm sure she didn't use that money to the good all the time, but at least it didn't come from us. We also made her pay for her own "toys" except for essentials such as food and minimum clothing (Walmart and just enough). We bought it for her. Money never went into her hands from us once we realized she may take it a nd use it to buy drugs rather than for the reason it had been given her. The car was not something we let her use after she got into one accident. We hid the keys. She stomped around a lot telling us how mean we were, but as long as she was using drugs, we were not going to reward her and we didn't trust her on the road. And we didn't trust who she'd pick up and drive around in our vehicle either. We tried to get her help, but she wouldn't cooperate. She ended up having to leave after she turned eighteen because she would not follow our rules and our younger kids did not need to see her tantrums or the police coming to the house looking for her.

I would take away all of his methods of contacting his "friends." Does he have his own cell phone and computer that you pay for? It may not stop the drug addiction, but at least it shows your disapproval and that t here are serious consequences and denial of fun if he chooses to self-destruct. I don't know how close he is to eighteen, but you may have to consider detachment once he turns eighteen. That can mean asking your child to either follow your rules and also go to rehab and take it seriously...or leave the warmth of your home....

I hope things get better. Keep posting.

Joe Lancaster

You should probably turn him and all the evidence into the police, I assume by reading your story he is already addicted so there probably isn't to much you can do at this point.

stalln4x

You should probably turn him and all the evidence into the police, I assume by reading your story he is already addicted so there probably isn't to much you can do at this point.
Oh yes I do think you're right. After taking that LSZ stuff he kept saying things like "don't spill me!" and "pk tek! pf tek!". It's these new Synthe drugs that we have to worry about.

Joe Lancaster

Oh yes I do think you're right. After taking that LSZ stuff he kept saying things like "don't spill me!" and "pk tek! pf tek!". It's these new Synthe drugs that we have to worry about.

My that sounds very serious! Yes I think these new Synthe drugs are very very serious, I recently found a bunch of baggies labeled with bizarre chemical names in my sons room. You can look at the thread I made. I'm very very worried, just reading about the effects of some of these drugs makes me very very concerned.

I read somewhere that LSZ is a new strain of LSD and is 100x more potent, that is very scary!

stalln4x

My that sounds very serious! Yes I think these new Synthe drugs are very very serious, I recently found a bunch of baggies labeled with bizarre chemical names in my sons room. You can look at the thread I made. I'm very very worried, just reading about the effects of some of these drugs makes me very very concerned.

I read somewhere that LSZ is a new strain of LSD and is 100x more potent, that is very scary!
Yes it's really scaring me... No matter what the pot legalization movement says, marijuanas have become exponentially stronger since the 70's and that LSD strain is no joke. It's way too potent for people to handle and I heard the permanent effects can be scarring. I don't want difficult child to suffer the rest of his life for this, it's just some mistake...

BusynMember

My daughter did some psychedelic drugs. Not sure of their names (shudder). One thing I remember about LSD back in the day is that they could cause flashbacks and I know at least of two teens who ended up in psychiatric wards out of their minds/psychotic due to bad trips. I also knew many who had flashbacks.
I really wonder about the drugs these kids take nowadays if they are more potent. Heroin has made a BIG comeback back here in Average Middle Class American Town, USA. There is a huge heroin problem at our biggest town's biggest high school. Freaks me out to think about it.
Pot, like alcohol, potent or not is not safe for all people, again just like alcohol. Anyone predisposed to mental illness can get much worse by smoking pot or pot can activate a dormant mental illness. Anyone who tries to tell you any drug is harmless, even good for you, is wrong. Period. No chemical ingested in the body is safe for everyone. Not one. And these mess with your minds.

Nancy

Your son needs treatment. He's been arrested, call his PO or attorney and tell them you want him forced into treatment. He is not an adult, you need to do this before you no longer have and control over him. Find out where he bought he drugs from and turn them in to the police. When my difficult child was doing drugs I did whatever I could to let everyone who provided her with drugs that I would turn them in. Thank goodness they were small time punk dealers form her school. I remember Carroll O'Connor saying that we should get between our kids and drugs anyway we can....and I lived that.

Bath salts make people agrressive and hallucinate. They can die from bath salts.

DammitJanet

Im changing my opinion based on more info. One thing is I believe either your son is a very good liar and is conning you about the bath salts or you are very naive. The bath salts that are drugs are not sold at Bath and Body works...lol. While it might make your nose sting to snort real bath salts, they wouldnt get you high. Someone just named a drug bath salts because it seemed a very innocent name that people wouldnt get all in an uproar over.

I still dont know if he would be dealt with in the adult courts or juvenile courts. It really doesnt matter that they arent 18 and a legal adult but in some states, like NC, if you are over 18 you go to adult court. Considering all the other issues, I do think I would notify someone about him.