son laying guilt - he's great at it!

Lavender

Sorry to hear about this, Rebelson.

Your son knows exactly which of your buttons to press. I think he has figured out that switching off his phone will drive you crazy because of what happened last year with his surgery.

My guess is that he's got a new phone, and let the old one's battery run down. He's not told you about the new phone as he wants to keep you guessing.

Do you know where he lives? You could contact his landlord to ask where he is, or just drive by, you'll probably see him coming and going if you wait long enough.

Hugs to you. x

rebelson

This morning still goes right to VM. Called area hospitals again, not there.

I live 10hrs away. I have texted his grandmother to see if she can drive by & see if car is at house.

I have a feeling that he got fired on Monday as that's when he was supposed to go pick up his paycheck. I spoke to him Tuesday & then our long text convo on Wed., that is the reason for this thread.

I have a feeling he was on a drinking binge Wed. Maybe he left/lost his phone somewhere. To me, that's more likely than him turning phone OFF.

BusynMember

Hon, if he has surgery again, which is unlikely, he can have it without you being there. He is an adult.
I understand anxiety disorder. Almost everything we worry about doesnt happen.
I hope you can go out and do something today and find peace. Or go to an Al Anon for support.
Hugs!!!

AppleCori

Hi, Rebel.

So, when your son went to the hospital and had surgery last year, was he taken in to the hospital in an unconscious state, and taken to surgery still unconscious or in such a deteriorated condition that he was unable to use a phone to call you, or have someone at the hospital call you?

Does he have some serious illness that might render him unable to communicate at any given moment?

Are you taking care of yourself, Rebel?

Your anxiety seems to be ramping up precipitously.

Have you been to see a doctor or gone to counseling lately?

It's likely that everything is OK and you are stressing about nothing. No good will come of you being worried, anyway.

Take care of yourself and your young kids and husband. Your son is a grown man and is living his own life, as he chooses.

Sorry that you are dealing with this...

ksm

I suffer from that same anxiety... The panic when I can't get a hold of my child, or they don't respond...

I have a mantra, a bible verse I like to whisper, or say in my mind.

Be
Be still
Be still and know
Be still and know that I am
Be still and know that I am God
Be still and know that I am
Be still and know
Be still
Be

I try to repeat that and take deep breaths after every line and try to release my worries.

KSM

rebelson

I have an update. The grandmother's best friend drove by around 30 minutes ago, to see if car there at house. Car was there. The cars of the other 2 men who live there, were also in driveway. So, 3 cars there.

She knocked hard. No answer.

Here is what could be going on:

*my gut feeling could be true and he was let go from his new job on Monday, when he went in to get his paycheck. The older, retired homeowner, who has sort of taken son under his wing, who got him in to 'the' conversation on Wed (reason why I started this thread)....perhaps got son amped up and more upset, angry at family. Hence the hour of texts in beginning of thread. So, son decided he needed a 'bender'...and thus he's on around day 2 of bender. Holed up in room, with phone uncharged.

*or, he's actually at someone else's house, on a bender....obviously doesn't have his car (it's parked at house), no phone charger with him..and so reason why phone is going right to VM.

I am curious why neither of the other 2 men would answer door when g'ma's friend just knocked. Perhaps, son told them not to? After all, he does NOT like this particular woman, friend of the g-ma. Is son passed out on his bed, not breathing? And the roommates don't know it? Maybe they're protecting son and giving him his 'bender' space? The situation is weird cuz this homeowner, elderly guy, often will offer my son 'cocktails' and to sit down with him and chat. This is not good for my son. Is this guy weird? It seems so.

My son has learned one thing and that is to not drink and drive. When he has had his last many benders...he makes sure to let me know when he comes out of it..'I didn't drive around while I was drinking...I stayed home.' I'm just fearful that he's stopped breathing. And the roommates are oblivious. This really sucks. I'm trying my BEST to stay focused and strong. My littles know NOTHING about this, I've been keeping up a good front.

The fact that his phone is going right to VM has me most stumped. I have to think positive. I am hoping that because he knows how horribly mean he gets when he's on benders...calling and really in rages to us, that he just turned phone off during bender so he wouldn't get on it, in a rage.

My only option is to call the police to check up. But, I cannot do that. I've called 911 on him in the past and he ended up getting arrested. Once he was doped up and resisted arrest, got a battery to LEO. To this day, he won't let me forget it. IF he's been drinking...is drunk, he would likely fight. His benders usually last around 3 days. Today is likely day 2. I am guessing here at all this.

My friend and husband say to just 'ride it out'.

AppleCori-no he doesn't have an illness. Last time he was in accident and taken ( conscious) to hospital by ambulance. His phone battery ended up dying some time around the accident. I posted a frantic msg to his friends on his FB page, we were 'friends' then, aren't now. And a guy friend of his, responded with a lead, that he was in accident. I tracked him to local hospital, jumped in car and drove down. I found his phone dead in his belongings bag. Yes, he knows my #.

KSM-thanks, I printed to that prayer.

I have to think he's alive. If something had happened (or does), his roommate would be able to charge up his phone (or turn it on, if it's just turned off) and call me.

Last edited:

AppleCori

I'm glad your son is at his place of residence.

It is infinitesimally unlikely that he is lying unresponsive and in the house and nobody has noticed. Try to get that thought out of you mind. I does no good for anyone, especially you and your health.

He is in probably the safest place he could be at: his home.

His car is there, he is most likely there, others are there.

Most likely, your son has found yet another enabler in this homeowner.

Many of our young adults do this.

Some grow out of it, some don't. Usually they don't move forward with their lives as long as they can find someone to take responsibility for them.

Stay strong, try to do something for yourself this weekend. Something you can enjoy and take your mind off the situation.

Apple

rebelson

My son is fine. Hub had an AM welfare check done about an hr ago.

Homeowner answered door, was asked to get son to door. Son came out..had been sleeping. Officer told him that parents were concerned...phone not ringing. Son said phone was 'broken'. Officer told him to please call us, we were worried. He hasn't yet (fine with me)...& likely won't. Until/unless he needs $ help for new phone.

Ugh. Thanks for the support. I have very few supportive ppl in my life. My husband has serious communication deficits- which is getting old.