Son skirted death today.

DazedandConfused

I swear, between the two of them.......:faint:

Son was nearly hit by a pick-up truck today. He did, indeed, make contact, but it was more like a sideswipe. I was still at work. We live very close to where I work, and apparently Son decided to ride his bike to the store. Unfortunately, he decided to go when the school I work at was getting out for the day. It's a large elementary school and the traffic is really bad because of parents picking up their kids.

So, Son decides he going to cross the street on his bike. Problem is, there was truck coming up on him. So, if she hadn't swerved left, and son hadn't swerve back right, Son would have been very seriously injured, or even killed.

However, I would not even had known if the lady driving the truck hadn't come to the school to talk to me. She was picking up HER son and he knew Son. She also tells me that Son refused to give her any information like my name and phone number. Her son, a student where I work, was the one that knew me and that this kid on the bike belonged to me.

I rush home and SON ISN'T EVEN THERE, but his bike is. I'm pacing back and forth and decided to get out of the house. My mother lives on the same street, so I take the dog (I spend the morning at the vet with Goldie the Wonder Dog because she broke off an entire nail jumping out of husband's truck so she could bark at the neighbor's dog. She wearing a little cast and limping on three legs, but will be fine. Her nail will grow back), and I walk limping (I hurt my knee and am wearing a brace) along with a limping dog (vet said it was okay for her to go for walks), to my Mother's house.

Well, along comes Son (not limping) looking terrified. He bursts into tears telling me how embarrassed he feels. He wails for about fifteen minutes and soaks the entire front of my shirt with his tears. His sister told him I was at Gma's. My mother tends to his scrapes and then he cries some more. His glasses were ran over and completely flattened and his new bike got a few scrapes.

Extremely luck kid.

Yes, he was wearing his helmet.

The worst of it is that Son sprained his left hand and scraped his elbow pretty bad. Those will heal.

To be honest, I'm so very relieved he is okay. On the other hand, I'm angry that once again he completely disregards all my warnings about cars and being careful until he nearly gets killed.

:holymoly:

KTMom91

How scary! SO glad he's basically OK. Hopefully he'll remember this, and pay attention to what you say.

Sending hugs.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Wow, lucky kid, indeed! I know the feeling of wanting to hug and scream at them all at the same time :D

His guardian angels were working overtime today. I'll bet by the way he was so shaken by this that he'll remember this lesson for a while.

HUGS mom! I swear it's a miracle we survive raising them...

LittleDudesMom

Wow! How scary. I'm glad he is ok. I undersand the need to scream and hug at one time. I think you are probably right. He will remember this and remember your warnings for a time to come.

Sharon

Jena

Wow that is so scary. I"m so glad he's ok. It's crazy when you think in a split moment how things can occur.

Glad she came to talk to you also and tell you what happened.

TerryJ2

I am so glad and relieved that he is safe! Sorry about the sprained wrist and scrapes.

Hey, this will be a better lesson than all your lectures!

Nice that the mom sought you out. She must have been at least as terrified as he was.

One of my dogs lost a claw/nail, too. I took her to the vet, the vet said, Hmm... whipped out a pr of pliers, and CRACK! Off with-the claw. Eouw. Pretty low tech. The dog seemed fine with-it. It never grew back though.
Best of luck.

trinityroyal

Oh my goodness. How very scary.
I'm so glad that your son came away from his run-in with the truck with so little harm.

I'm hoping that this incident will "scare him straight", so that he will pay attention not just to road safety but also to other safety instructions you give him in future.

And yes, I too understand the desire to hug AND give a clip round the ear all at the same time.

Glad he's okay. Whew!

Trinity

Star*

call 911........call 911
WOW! What a close call.....and so lucky to have gone in the opposite direction. Probably best to tell my nephew that he does NOT have numerous cat like reflexes - for life. OMG I was just sik to read your post title.

I'm glad you are okay (except for limping) and now you have a walking buddy (Goldie the limping dog)....lol (Liked how you wrote) son NOT LIMPING.....'cause if he'd have been my son? It is VERY likely that he would have been. lol

Hugs