Son starting Strattera, any advice?

tmriley

Hello everyone. My difficult child will be starting strattera tomorrow for his ADHD. 10mg. Please let me know of all the pro and cons you have had with this medication. Thank you.. Tammy

Not looking forward to starting another medication that that probably won't work...... :crying:

AllStressedOut

It did help with focus/concentration with my difficult children. The only downside I know of is that with my difficult children they started having shorter fuses. They would get angrier more quickly. One of my difficult children was always Mr. Nice Guy until being on Strattera for awhile. Just watch for mood changes. Good luck!

Sara PA

Strattera is an antidepressant and can cause all the behavioral issues any antidepressant can cause -- increased mood swings, anxiety, anger, agitation, hostility, aggression, violence, suicidal ideation. The times side effect are most likely to appear are when the drug is frist started and about three months in. Many people have found that even though their child is more attentive and doing better acedemically, that negative mood issues force them to decide to discontinue the drug.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
When difficult child 2 was on this he was so much more aggressive than normal and it didn't help with attention at all. It was awful. We were told he had to get to theraputic levels. When we got there it was worse yet.

That is how it worked for us.

Beth