Songs that should never be heard again

svengandhi

Maggie May by Rod Stewart is one I have despised since it first came out even though it's not bubble gum.

My totally hate it list -

One Bad Apple by the Osmonds. My sister was allowed to keep a Donny O poster on our wall and when I would wake up in the middle of the night, it scared me half to death because the teeth glowed so brightly I thought a vampire was coming.

The Candy Man - by Sammy Davis, Jr. Drug dealing, anyone?

My Name is Michael or it might be called Playground in my mind- don't know who by but I detest this song.

By the way, I LOVE Crimson and Clover and used to listen to it Over and Over.

I hate Clair and Alone Again, Naturally, also by Gilbert O'Sullivan.

The Archies' Sugar, Sugar was the first 45 I ever bought with my own money. I think it was 49 cents. Spill the Wine was the second, War was the third and Indiana Wants me was the 4th.

This is a fun thread.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Tiki room drives me insane!!!!

Then you have that butterfly song..don't know it's actual title but ugh.

Soldia boy or what ever it is makes my head climb off my shoulders and go to another part of the building...

witzend

witz,

I'm gonna think of you when these songs are stuck in my brain and keeping me awake at 2 a.m.! lol! So, to return the favor:

"Yummy, Yummy, Yummy (I Got Love in My Tummy)" by the Ohio Express.

Aaaack!

:biting:

This came out when I was in first grade and having my First Communion. My sisters sang "Yummy, yummy, yummy, I got God in my Tummy!"

Oooh, they're gonna burn for that.

KTMom91

Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman? Bryan Adams, I think. Irritating along the lines of Say What You Need To Say.

witzend

Freebird....
Hotel California, only because the bar I worked at for 10 years had a jukebox, and when the guy's would get rip roaring drunk they would play Hotel California, over and over and over and over... well you get the picture.
And sing very badly

Bet they played air guitar, too...

DammitJanet

I have half or even more of these songs! Remember Chevy van? Got it. Torn between two lovers? got it. David Souls only single...Dont give up on me Baby. Do you like Pina Coladas? Fooled around and fell in love. She was only 16. Hooked on a feeling. Time in a bottle and Fooled around and fell in love.

Ahhh...just a few of my favorites.

muttmeister

I love House of the Rising Sun, especally the version by the Animals but I could go forever without Teen Angel - and there are a LOT of country songs that I feel that way about.9 (Achy Breaky Heart, Okie from Muskogee, Stand By YOur Man, and on and on and on). Oh yeah, MacArthur Park is another one.

Last edited:

Marguerite

Madonna's cover of "American Pie" is right up there with the worst.

I used to hate "Spill the Wine" but I can JUST stand it...

"Having my Baby" is on my hate list also.

"Redback on the Toilet Seat" was played non-stop on the juke box in my sister's outback pub that she ran 40 years ago. The miners would come in and shove a handful of coins into the juke box, then hit the numbers for that song repeatedly.

There was one ghastly song back in the 70s - Steve Harley, "Make Me Smile" (Come up and See me) - the chorus in the background singing "bup bup bup bup bup bup bup bup" on the one note sounds to me like they're trying to give the lead singer the correct note, because he can't sing for nuts and his off-key mess affects me like fingernails on a blackboard.

"Horse with No Name" always struck me as pointless lyrics and boring chorus, with tedious chording. And form a band who could so often do so much better! Same goes for Beach Boys' "Cocomo" - what a let-down of a song after "Good Vibrations" and so many more wonderful songs!

But then, I believe there exists a piece called "Drop Kick me Jesus Through the Goalposts of Life" as well as "It's Been Lonesome Here in the Saddle Since my Horse Died Yesterday..."

Marg

Marg's Man

Pretty well anything PERFORMED by Barrie Manilow (although I will concede that I like a lot of the the stuff he has written). I will NEVER forgive him for "Copacabana" or "Can't smile without you"

Peter Allen's "I Go to Rio" is also well up on my hate list.

goldenguru

"Muskrat Susie, muskrat Sam
Do the jitterbug out in muskrat land
And they shimmy, and Sammy's so skinny"

Seriously. Muskrat LOVE???