Songs that should never be heard again

trinityroyal

"...an itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, yellow, polka-dot bikini that she wore for the first time today...."

Goodness! I had a whole collection of these on an album from K-Tel.

7 Little Girls Sittin' In The Back Seat, Kissin' and a-Huggin' with Fred
Wooly Bully (which, strangely, I still like to this day)
Alley-Oop
Yummy Yummy Yummy, I've Got Love in my Tummy

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
No offense taken about Hampsterdance... I just happen to like the song! It's a "when husband-and-the-kids-and-I-first-met" thing.

SNICKER!

DammitJanet

Lets here it for Ktel records! That is where I got my love for all these songs...lol. I think I got a new Ktel record once a year from 73 on up to probably 79.

Has anyone noticed that today's country sounds eerily similar to 70's soft rock? I mean, the Eagles recently released a new album and it came out on the country charts! If my mind isnt completely gone, they were on the Rock charts in the 70s...lol. I have heard many re-do's of oldies by country singers.

Marguerite

First time I heard Garth Brooks (aka "the thumb with the hat on") I thought he was less country, more rock.

A good friend of mine professes to HATE country. I walked into her house where she was playing a Peter, Paul & Mary album and I swear, they were doing country. But that's different, it's Peter, Paul & Mary...

When difficult child 3 was a baby we discovered he liked to listen to bagpipes. And also, on the theory that babiess like deep voices singing to them, I found an album (remaindered somewhere) of the Oak Ridge Boys. Now, years ago on Aussie radio, ONE of their songs was played regularly, I was fascinated purely for the amazing deep bass in it. So I bought the album and found that it is EXTREME country. I played it for my friend - within the first track she was out the door.

But difficult child 3 loved it, he would sleep - well, like a baby...

Marg

witzend

I know that song, Marg! "Elvira! My Heart's on fire, for Elvira!" Oom pow pow, oom pow pow, oom pow pow, pow pow! Heigh Ho Silver, Away!

Seriously country.

Marguerite

Well it's not on my CD, but te stuff on it is even more seriously country. REALLY seriously... and of course now with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight, difficult child 3's enjoyment of this as a baby was the vibrations from the bass, deep in his chest. A Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) thing.

My aunt used to tell me of her music prodigy son that as a baby in the 1930's, he used to crawl to the radio speakers while music was playing and pull himself up on them. He would then hug te speakers like a clam, his ear pressed hard to the speakers, and tey couldn't get him off at all while the music was playing. But when the music finished and the announcer came on, he would get down and crawl away.

difficult child 3 did the same thing. My mother was unimpressed - cousin was seriously socially deficit, a real handful as a kid and as a teenager, music was his entire existence and nothing else mattered.
Of course, back then "Asperger's" wasn't known about or I'm sure he would have been diagnosed. Or maybe not - he was very productive as a composer from his teens. Well known in classical music cirlces for a while in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Music can be useful in so many ways, even the stuff you think you hate.

What really has got to me though - when the kids fall in love with a song which I hate, but they play it constantly (or sing it). Again difficult child 3 - although he was non-verbal, he was able to memorise and sing songs from the radio that he liked. Among them - "Barbie Girl" by Aqua.
Imagine a cute little boy walking into pre-school singing loudly, "You can touch my hair, undresss me anywhere..."

And you couldn't SHUT HIM UP!

Marg

DammitJanet

LOL Marg. I love the Oakridge boys.

Speaking of songs I hate. I just heard one on Ellen this morning. I have no idea who this girl is because I dont know many new artists unless they are country so I didnt know her but she sang this song and the lyrics just went over and over...I dont know where I will sleep tonight. Really...that was all it said with a few other words...but that was the main words. For about 4 minutes!

KTMom91

Speaking of new artists...Colbie Caillat. She sings dumb songs. Bubbly is the worst. "It starts at my toes and tickles my nose..."

And Jason Mraz. The only words I can understand are "I'm Yours." Miss KT takes great delight in singing "Up yours" instead. (Wonder if that will get censored?)

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh, Toto...I wasn't even going to reply to this thread as being a DJ you hear WAAAYYY too many songs too many times. I couldn't even pick one. But, I have to tell you, Freebird tops it all. Yah, yah...I'll play the dumb song but I'm leaving the room for the next 4 minutes. Enjoy.

Now, if you want to get me REALLY po'd, ask for some Bruce Springsteen or Beach Boys. (don't throw punches, ladies)

Abbey

Freebird....
Hotel California, only because the bar I worked at for 10 years had a jukebox, and when the guy's would get rip roaring drunk they would play Hotel California, over and over and over and over... well you get the picture.
And sing very badly

Abbey

Spork Queen
1) Marg's man...you're almost out. Barry Manilow kicks bootie and still does. He writes and sings like a songbird. Ok...I know I'm getting sentimental. Now, if you start dogging Carol King we'll have some REAL issues.

2) I am a confessed pet rock owner. His name was George. I had little clothes, various hair to put on him...oh, don't know what happened to him. He probably got thrown at my difficult child brother one night by my dad. Poor George.

3) Muskrat love?:peaceful: No words needed.

4) Electric Slide? Come on, Step2...now it's the Cupid Shuffle!!

5) Stairway to Heaven? Ohhh...big sigh. I could play the keyboards on that perfectly when I was, ummm...many years younger. It's also the perfect request at a long wedding reception when you need to use the potty. Seven minutes of bliss. It kills the party, but when you have to go...seize the moment.

6) Don't EVER diss Donny Osmand in any way shape or form.

7) K-Tel. You ARE showing your age. ;)

Fun thread.

Abbey

Marguerite

THanks, Star. Now it's in MY head!

On the topic of Barry Manilow - a local council here in Sydney (Bankstown) devised a system to curb the nocturnal activities of ther youth of the town. They began broadcasting Barry Manilow throught he shopping centre after hours. And installing pink lighting.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/manilow-a-secret-weapon/2006/08/12/1154803145362.html

From the news I found when I searched, I didn't find Bankstown council (who I know have done this) but I did find Rockdale and Camden, plus others in Melbourne.

The problem - kids are getting turned on to Barry Manilow!
Funny thing - husband & I lived there for the first year after we married, I remember driving round the streets there listening to our car radio playing "Copacabana" on its first release!

Stairway to Heaven - I was told of a well-known Sydney guitar shop which at first installed a sign that said, "Anyone attempting to play 'Stairway to Heaven' will be ejected" and later on installed it as one of those universal 'no language' signs. It had a black circle with a line through it diagnonally, and inside that circle was a staircase with a halo and pair of wings at the top. Message received...

And no way can I diss Donny Osmond. Or any member of the Osmond family. They do a great service for the enviroment. All they have to do is smile, and for each one smiling entire villages can turn off all their electric light!

We have different groups that are popular/unpopular in Australia. Did you ever see "Priscilla - Queen of the Desert"? There a scene in it where one of the characters (played by Terence Stamp) finally snaps and says, "No, I'll join this conversation on the proviso that we stop ***ching about people, talking about wigs, dresses, bust sizes, [male appendages], drugs, night clubs, and bloody Abba!
Tick (Hugo Weaving): Doesn't give us much to talk about then, does it?

That is VERY Australian - ABBA was HUGE here, if it wasn't for Australia they'd have probably sunk without a trace after that Eurovision song contest. And when Priscilla came out - they had a revival all over again! "Muriel's Wedding" also helped (released/filmed at about the same time) with the ABBA revival.

I've been browsing for songs online that I can give my choir to learn. The scary thing is, you guys keep feeding me ideas!

Marg

Abbey

Spork Queen
Scaring off vagrants with Manilow. haha... I can just see the scene. I just want to nap a bit on the ground. Fast forward an hour or so and you want to rip someone apart. I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

Actually, they do the same thing in a few cities in the US but they use country music. Smart choice. ;) There is an area in Los Angeles that put in place this idea and it worked quite well. Unfortunately, they moved just a few blocks away.

Abba? I'm a dancing queen...

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
Marg - I'm so sorry - I've been listening to Mozart ALL morning trying to erase it too and it's just bubblegum, sickey, sweet stuck in MY head too.

I figured Mozart excites more areas of your brain and central nervous system than any other composer so gave it a try to DERAIL the lollipop song - and nope - nothing....lollipops and rainbows. :sick:

What a putrid song....how many handfulls of mushrooms do you suppose you had to injest before that song was palitable in the sixties? :faint:

skeeter

"Billy Don't Be a Hero" was originally done by the Heywoods (local group to Cincinnati).

I can't believe no one has mentioned:

YMCA

I've been know to bribe DJs at wedding NOT to play that song.

Muskrat Love was the "theme" song of some friends of mine that were known as the "River Rats".

If you really want to hear "House of the Rising Sun" you need to search for Ledbelly's version - he wrote it. (Huey Ledbetter).

Then, of course, being in Cincinnati, there is the greatest party song of all times:

The Chicken Dance!!!!!!

Last edited:

DammitJanet

Of course, I love Billy dont be a hero!

And just what is wrong with Country Abbey? I am telling you, if you listen to today's country it is what the 70s soft rock used to be...literally. Last night there was a special on by Sugarland. I almost ran in here to tell everyone to watch it...lol. They actually played a song by...I think...the Moody Blues. Tony would have to tell you. He recognized the song. I may be wrong about the artist but it was definitely a remake of a 70s song.

Marguerite

For me, House of the Rising Sun" can only be growled out by Eric Burdon and the Animals. I used to play it on the piano and do some growling myself (when nobody else was home).

"Billy Don't Be a Hero" doesn't bother me so much with the sound of it, but the story of it makes me want to grab the couple by the hair and bang their heads together. But then - it was born in the anti-war era of the late 60s/early 70s. Mind you, I'm also anti-war, but not unreasonable about it. It would require very extraordinary circumstances before I could serve in the armed services; probably very extraodrinary circumstances before they would accept me. But I have never attacked those who joined up.

However, I think during that hippie era, a lot of people did jump onto the "let's bash armed services in general" bandwagon and as a result a lot of ghastly stuff found its way to the charts.

Marg

witzend

I've been telling husband about this thread for a few days. I can't tell you how long it took me to get the one out of my head, and thank goodness it's gone because I can't remember what it was now! I only had to wear my i-pod for 17 hours straight. I'm sure I'll wake up screaming in the night, now that I've really tried for a moment to remember, though.

Anyway, I told husband that Eric Burdon made the list twice. House of the Rising Sun - "I like that song!" (me too), and Spill the Wine "I like that song too!" Guy songs. Totally guy songs.

What's Sugarland? Or should I not ask?

trinityroyal

What's Sugarland? Or should I not ask?

You probably shouldn't ask :tongue:

Rather than posting a youtube clip which might get stuck in your head for a further 17 hours, here's their Wikipedia listing.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugarland[/ame]

Actually, they're a relatively harmless Country band. I kind of agree with Janet's assessment. A lot of the bands that would have fallen into the soft rock category in the 70's now seem to be labelled New Country...go figure.