itisme1969

I am at my wits end with my son, he has to worst mouth I have ever heard on a child of his age. He does not swear yet, but scream at me at the top of his lungs, refuses to do anything I ask of him, he has been grounded from tv and outside with friends for a week, because each day just gets worse. He goes tomorrow for a re-evaluation because he has had outburst in school. He is currently on Adderal at first we tried the 5mg then went to Adderal Extended release, but it seems after the first 2 months it stops working. I work in a stressful environment and with home life being stressful also I am at my wits end. He is such a sweet sweet boy, this is seriously going to break me if I can not get it under control. We tried not putting him on any medications, but he was getting kicked off the bus, about to get suspended from school in kindergarten, to the point where he is manic on a daily basis. But I am pulling my hair out about in tears nightly because of his behaviors at home... What are some medications that worked well for your kids? Any other suggestions that can help with these manic nightly meltdowns?:sigh:

T

TeDo

What is his current diagnoses? What medications have been tried, if any? What kind of doctor is diagnosing/evaluating? Does he have an IEP at school? Sorry about so many questions but we just need more info to be able to give any helpful advice. Without knowing specific diagnoses and behaviors, we aren't going to be able to make any suggestions.

Welcome to the family. You have definitely come to the right place!

Jena

welcome and yes you have found the right place..... i agree with the questions asked...... what other medications have you tried?? and is adhd/odd the official diagnosis?

welcome again

SRL

Welcome itisme. I'm sorry this is such a tough time. I also was wondering what type of doctor is involved in evaluations and what the current diagnosis is.

C

Confused

Hi itisme1969,
Although my son has no diagnoses, due to the fact they say nothing is wrong with him( no problems at school-only home,families homes,tiny issues at stores) I wanted to see if I could help. My friend's daughter was 5 years old almost 6 when diagnosed with bi-polar. They started her on medications a bit after that, which as you said some would work for a while ,some not at all, and even some made her "worse". She is now going to be 13 years old and is on 3 different medications, maybe about a year now? For the most part, she can control her temper,outbursts etc. Sometimes it does take a bit, hopefully you can find one soon! Good luck!
Confused