Sorry to post another thread- malware?

klmno

Suddenly, I'm getting a ton of pop ups saying it's from a 2012 version of Windows security finding worms on my computer and wanting to delete a ton of files- this looks suspicious to me so I'm just X'ing out of it. Anyone know how to fix this?

Super Anti spyware (a freebie) worked for a long time then it turned into a bogus malware thing or something after it was bought out by 'someone'.

This windows thing that keeps popping up says it's an 'unregistered version'.

donna723

I wouldn't touch that with a stick! Do you have a good antivirus? I'd run a scan for sure! And what on earth is an "unregistered" version of Windows?

T

TeDo

I'm with Donna. I would have a techie have at it. Something like that destroyed my computer. I had to use the restore discs (once EVERYHTING was erased) to put it back to FACTORY condition. I had lost everything. After that the computer didn't work the same so I had to replace it. Good Luck!

TerryJ2

I've used McAfee in the past and was happy with-it.
Now I use Kaspersky and it doesn't take as long.
Norton hogged up way too much time and space.

Good luck!

klmno

Does anyone know of a good, reputable freebie I could download this weekend? Really, this anti spyware software worked fantastic until it was bought by someone else.

S

Signorina

It's malware. Use malwarebytes-the free version and run a full scan. I had the "system tool" malware infection and that's exactly how it started. My virus software never caught it- as it is technically "not a virus" (or so i was told.) Download malwarebytes here Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware 1.51.2.1300

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Jamie downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials on mine (free) and it works wonderful - I have Malaware on my office computer which was also free

Marcie

buddy

I wouldn't touch that with a stick! Do you have a good antivirus? I'd run a scan for sure! And what on earth is an "unregistered" version of Windows?

When you start a new computer, buy windows etc. you have to submit a registration number. There are only so many computers that each purchase of widows is allowed to be installed on (licenses). I have one on this computer that was from a work site, they allowed us to put it on our computers because we did home work. My other computer came with it installed but I had to register the first time I used it. Sometimes if it comes installed they have done that. taht way the company is not ripped off, having unlicensed copies on peoples computers

buddy

klmno, I think in the last month, someone posted (hope it wasn't you and now your suggestion has turned bad, tee hee) a free anti-viral program... Trying to think if it was in my thread on questions about Q's Xmas gift or another persons questions about viral software. Maybe do a search here or hopefully others will come in and say which ones they use.

I am trying the malware thing now..... thanks Sig.

I have this pop up of a script when I am in facebook in the last two months.... how do you get rid of a script. It warns me and says it is causing my computer to run slowly and iwll stop if I dont stop the script so I always get to stop it....but it would be nice if it never happened in the first place. Explorer is closing on me often lately. I did download chrome but I dont know enough.... will my viral software work for any internet choice? Like this malware program says click on explorer, so if I had clicked on chrome it would not have worked?

I know it is dumb but I dont know.... thanks.

DammitJanet

Okay, I am going to talk you through something. Do you have access to a second computer to download something from? Say a friends? I really hope so but if not you can do it from yours in a pinch.

Go to download.com and download malwarebytes save this to a flash drive if you have one available. Also get Advanced System Care 5. You can get the pro version if you want but I havent upgraded to the pro version yet. I will soon. I am right now using the free version. It is awesome. Then, I use AVG antivirus and firewall...paid version. Worth it in my book.

I would run malwarebytes first. Then install the AVG antivirus. Then install the advanced system care. Run all of them. Make sure you do the deep scans and not just the quick scans.

Advanced System Care runs in the background all the time and it will tell you if your computer is running in top condition or if it is getting bogged down. If it goes down to C or even D, you know that something is really up and you need to run everything you have to find out what is going on. The other day my computer went down to a D and I had to run System Care because something had managed to get in and we had to find the culprit and rid it from my system.

buddy

WOW, norton must be doing an ok job for me, the malware says nothing malicious is found. that is good news. Now to get rid of that script. I think it started when facebook updated. It only happens on FB and luckily my computer offers to stop it.

DammitJanet

When I had Norton or McAfee they would say nothing was on my computer and it was loaded with bloatware and malware, spyware and adware. You need to have a good adware program running plus have a malware program that you run at least weekly to keep it clean. I run mine nightly. Actually Advanced System Care runs in the background and watches out for any malware and spyware that comes on at any time. It has a tool bar that will tell you if any page is safe or not. Just a virus program isnt enough anymore. You have to actively work on computers. Also make sure you are defragging at least once a week. You can set it to do it every night but you have to make sure the computer is on.

klmno

OK, I'll try to get the malware thing downloaded and started before I go to see difficult child, if I have time. Otherwise, I'll do it later today when I get back. I just got up and am having coffee and noticed this malware says it's "Windows 7 Security Alert Unregistred Version"....Notice how 'unregistered' was spelled? When would Windows put out something like an automatic update and have it 'unregistered' and then spell the word wrong, too? LOL! As far as my windows on my computer, it came on the computer when it was new so I know it's a valid copy. Plus, the computer is about 18 mos old now and this is the first time I gotten pop-ups saying this sort of thing- but when I kept getting pop-ups in the past, it was always malware.

Tourette's Syndrome- I'd try running malware on your computer, although it might not help with email messages, then see if you can raise the security level on your email. I wish I had better ideas for that but as you can see, I'm no whiz at this...

klmno

oh boy- it won't let me dowload this malware....I'll try going thru a different computer when I get back home like you suggested, DJ. It won't let me open email either- this is the only site I can access for some reason.

klmno

Now, I'm also getting another popup that says my explorer is infeccted with "Trojan-BNK.Win32.keylogger.gen" but says I need to activate win security 7 to get rid of it. The problem is that it's the "wind security 7" that's popping up all over the place like a malware itself. Has anyone heard of this? I was using a public wifi last week and probably got this then.

buddy

klmno, did you see on the download page that it says what to do if it wont let you install it.... it gives several different reasons and codes and then tells what to do. I may have had to click on something to see that info but I had checked it all out before I tried to install it. I am so sorry you are getting this. I started getting a bunch of pop ups after installing a media thing and I luckily could remove the program because I knew what was doing it. no errors just ads.

exhausted

I had a problem with malware last year on computer. Tried a bunch of recommended stuff on line-nothing worked. Took it to techie-ended up having to scrub the whole system and get new copy of microsoft as all my documents were infected. I should have called the techie right away.

DammitJanet

I would still go to a library or somewhere and get that malwarebytes thing on the usb drive. Then you start the computer in safe mode and let that program run its thing. It will take awhile doing a deep clean so just be prepared. If nothing else works, I hope you saved your recovery disks.