Spam by Private Message

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by runawaybunny, Oct 26, 2007.

1. runawaybunny

runawaybunny Guest

Last night someone registered the member name limy and used our private messaging system to send spam to several of our members. This type of message is a well known scam.

Here's the text of the message:

2. meowbunny

meowbunny New Member

I usually contact them and make comments about their poor grammar. Figure if they can spam me, I can spam them.

3. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member Staff Member

Oh gosh, I sure hope none of our members fall for this. There have been several segments on Dateline and 20/20 regarding this type of fraud and I am always saddened to see how many people believe it and send in their life savings.

Thanks for making us aware.

Nancy

4. If your bored, email them from a a hotmail account or something. String them along and be preposterous about it.

Strung one along for two weeks once. Funniest :censored2: I had done in a while. Provides tons of laughter when you see how much they'll try to keep stringing you along.

Gotta love those good old 411 scams.

5. Star*

Star* call 911........call 911

The letter clearly states:

I swear.....it's like DANG LADY WE GOT ENOUGH PROBLEMS HERE WITHOUT ALL YOUR THOU AND THO and scripture quotes - read some of our emails and posts - don't you think we pray to God EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF EVERY DAY? - your marketing strategist blows - try a different board or zip code with people who HAVE money and BELIEVE a scam artist cause some of us are RAISING scam artists and KNOW what to look for. eeessssssch.

I'm glad the spam post clearly states "I am not afraid of dying" cause if they come here for financial help - "they gonna die trying - sho nuf

Nuf sed

6. Stella Johnson

Stella Johnson Active Member

Those people will try anything. These types of Nigerian scams have been around for about 5 years but for some reason the media is just catching on. :rolleyes:

Steph

7. Marguerite

Marguerite Active Member

The Aussie current affairs shows have been dealing with this in the last week - in Australia, they aren't getting prosecuted as they should and as they are in other countries. These guys were filmed posting letters like this from an Internet cafe in Sydney - the cafe owner had no idea but these guys literally did a runner (the reporter was ready for them, he began the report by putting his running shoes on, which he clearly later got a lot of use out of). After the scammers had run off, back in the cafe the screen showed exactly what they'd been doing - posting loads of these emails.

The dangers of this are not just possibly losing your money - they will probably ask you to send some money to pay bank transfers, local taxes, whatever they want to call it. All it takes is a 1% response rate to 2,000 emails to keep them in business financially. More emails - a smaller success rate will make it pay, any more brings in big bucks. And every person who responds gives them a 'live' email address to sell on to other scammers.

But the big dangers also come with identity theft.

Before you even try stringing these people along, read "The Blue Nowhere" by Jeffery Deaver.

The poor grammar - some of it is feigned.

The other nasty scam to watch for (or your husbands to watch for) is the "Russian bride". These girls apparently get together once a week and compare letters and responses, coaching each other in getting a better response rate. They basically beg for money to come to "your wonderful country" and be free at last, maybe to find a kind man who will love them and treat them nice without berating them like their daddies used to do...

Depending on where they are mailing from, you can sometimes track them. But you need to be good at what you do. This is how the reporters are finding them, plus tip-offs from the public with the correspondence history.

Nasty stuff. Yet one more reason why we need to maintain personal privacy on this site and any others.

Marg