Spayed dogs

Malika

My little dog was spayed today. I don't like the idea of this but the practical reality is that I have so little experience or knowledge of dogs that I would not know when she needed to be kept inside and it would be bad for her if she were to have more puppies now, at 8 years old (she has had three litters) - also, if I am honest, for me. Anyway, the vet said all was fine but she seems VERY groggy and disoriented. Doesn't want to eat, drink or walk and looks very dazed. She is currently lying wrapped up in blankets on the sofa, looking rather pitiful.
I just wondered if anyone had any advice or tips to share. The vet said she didn't need any particular care and that she would be "completely fine" tomorrow, but he didn't strike me as the particularly tender or solicitous type...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Just like with older humans, she may take a little longer to bounce back. Be tender with her, continue to offer her something to drink. If you're concerned about nutritional intake, you could offer her some chicken broth instead of water and food. Just beware that when she does begin to regain her normal strength and energy you keep her from doing any jumping up and down for a few days so she doesn't tear anything within. Aw, hugs to your little baby.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Malika--

If she was just spayed today....then yes, everything you are seeing is completely normal...

Give her a day or two to bounce back from the effects of being sedated...and then not too much exercise (no going out for a jog, limited stair climbing, etc) until the sutures are removed.

InsaneCdn

Ditto.

24 hours recovery would be "average".
Some are more sensitive to the anesthetic, and take a bit longer to bounce back
Older... takes longer, too.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
When we had Possum x-rayed, he was like a wet noodle for almost 36 hours. He did try to walk - and ran into the left side of a doorway from the right. He's a cat.

I had Weasel spayed and front-declawed, they kept her an extra day, so she was "normal" when I got her back. But... That was 17 years ago.

I would second the chicken broth. Or, if you can and she will eat it, ground chicken or turkey and rice, no seasoning.

Malika

Thanks all. She has perked up a tiny bit and now drunk some water. Chicken broth... I bought a chicken today but... I don't know how to make chicken broth. Shameful I know.

InsaneCdn

Dogs don't want gourmet cooking... in fact, no salt, no spices!

Do you know how to debone a chicken? as in, get the meat off the bones?
From there, its easy to make the broth... break up the carcass, put in a pot with cold water and a small amount of vinegar (to leach calcium out of bones), add a few chopped carrots (adds vitamins), celery would be an option (think bland or sweet, not starchy and not strong).
Bring to a boil, then way down to a simmer for several hours - just keep an eye on it so it doesn't boil dry. Add more water if you need to.

Strain through cheesecloth or a strainer, cool - skim off fat.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OH! LOL I buy it canned, but - cook the chicken, then boil all the bones in water, till the little bits of meat fall off. Strain - NO BONES FOR DOGGY - and ta-da!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL... I throw whatever's left after I pull the meat off, into the pot. For human consumption, I add garlic & onion...

InsaneCdn

For dog consumtion... you save the breast and thigh meat for the humans to enjoy!
(unless your doggy is spoiled rotten...)

Steely

Another trick - and it is easy.....
Boil the chicken until the meat is almost falling off the bones.
Remove the chicken and put it in fridge for later meals.
Put the water/broth in the fridge for 2 hours. The fat will rise to the top and congeal, and you can then scrape it off.
Walla - chicken broth.

As for pup - yea that is pretty normal for an older dog. I had Tesla spayed when she was a puppy and she didn't even notice, but an older dog they would for sure. If she is not bouncing around tomorrow, then call the vet. I agree about spaying her, especially if she has had 3 liters of pups, having more will lessen her life expectancy, not to mention yours, lol.

donna723

That's exactly how mine behaved when they were spayed and it's perfectly normal. She's just groggy from the anesthesia and they may have given her a bit of pain medicine too. Mine mostly stayed in their crates and slept it off that first day. They would get up to potty or get a drink of water but they weren't too interested in eating the first day. By the second day they were a lot more active and by the third day they were pretty much back to normal but I would try to keep her fairly quiet for the first several days, no strenuous running, etc. As long as she's drinking water she's fine. She probably won't be interested in eating the first day but if she is, her regular food will be fine. Of course, you can give her the boiled chicken and rice (rice can be made with chicken broth instead of water) but it's not necessary. She'll eat when she's hungry and feels like eating. The chicken and rice is a very bland food that people feed when the dog has had stomach or digestive problems but it's not really necessary after surgery. Give her a day or two and she'll be back to normal.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Normal as far as her behavior today.

Try not to let her run and jump for about a week. No rough playing. Otherwise, it will pretty much take care of itself. Although keep an eye on the incision for infection, just in case. If she's in a lot of pain, contact the vet and ask for pain medications for her if they haven't given you any.

Hugs

susiestar

Roll With It
The others are right. Spaying really is what is best for a dog. But it is hard to see your furbaby hurting even when it was neccessary.

If you want to cook the chicken, you can just boil it, pull it out of the water but do NOT discard the water you boiled it in, and then put the bones back in the water. Cook the bones for an hour or so, then strain the broth out and let the dog have it.

Even easier if the store is close, go and get a jar of baby meat. Let her have a little of that at a time on a finger. And get a can of broth for her - make sure it is the low sodium, no msg kind. Those are even worse for dogs than for us. One vet tried to tell me dogs don't get migraines, but we had one who did after she ate some chinese food. She was really sick and had all the problems I get iwth a migraine. So that is why I suggested baby meat instead of broth. Esp don't use powdered broths as they contain huge amts of sodium and preservatives, etc....

One of the very few problems we ever encountered with an animal that was spayed was that when the lab I grew up with got old she had bladder problems. She would leak urine in her sleep. Not a lot, but a noticeable amount. We made sure she slept on a pad that was easily washable (folded up blanket was what she liked) but once she started taking a low dose of estrogen it stopped happening. She was 11 or 12 when it happened. She lived to be over 14 and as long as she took her medications it wasn't a big deal.

Nancy

My easy child's six month old puppy was spayed three weeks ago. She was fine the next day. The biggest problem was keeping her from jumping around too much and risk opening the stitches. You should limit her activity for two weeks (no walks or baths and no jumping around) but after that the vet said she could do whatever she did before.

Nancy

witzend

It's a big surgery, and she probably feels pretty crummy. I wouldn't be worried unless it goes beyond a few days.

buddy

Thanks all. She has perked up a tiny bit and now drunk some water. Chicken broth... I bought a chicken today but... I don't know how to make chicken broth. Shameful I know.

lol I never make it.... just buy the cheap stuff....can or box of it...tee hee.. make it, hahaahaha..... (I am sorry you cooks, but for me that would probably not be pretty, I am only laughing because I can picture it now....not even fit for my dog I am sure)

InsaneCdn

Buddy - you can't use bought broth - it has salt, and things like onions... stuff that dogs can't have!

So... before you go get a dog, better learn to cook? (nobody told ME that either!)