Speech Impediment mistaken for disrespect - teen tasered, sprayed, beat

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
YUP.

Sounds like Dayton police, all right.

(They're the ones who threw out the test scores and are doing in-person interviews to determine if someone is right for the job... because there weren't enough passing scores to fill their minority quota...)

...And there is NOTHING in the news about this. Why am I not surprised...

H

HaoZi

I hope they do. I tweeted it out after finding it on a friend's FB, too. If it didn't make big news in the area it happened, it may well be swept under the rug with a settlement and no further education of the local dept or citizens.

DDD

If "the system" punished "their own" the way they do other people I think I might begin to rebuilt some respect. Sadly I assume there will be a rug sweeping. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
THAT IS ABOUT PAR DAILY FOR SOUTH CAROLINA..."FIFE-DUMB" I mean fifedom...(spell it right Star)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
easy child read this to me while I was over at her house this afternoon.

After the police stopping Travis on grounds walking with a white cane is "suspicious" doesn't surprise me a bit. Sickens me, but doesn't surprise me.

I hope this works out in the parents and the boy's favor to the hilt.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'll be honest, you guys mostly know where I live - lately in the news, Dayton PD recruited a bunch of new possible officers and gave them the exam. Those that pass go on to Police Academy.

Well.

Not enough minorities passed. The ACLU and NAACP got involved. So the "passing" test scores were LOWERED. That didn't help, though, so they threw them out, to complete in person interviews - so there would be no racial bias.

Errrrr... No racial bias, huh? In person? SURE. I try not to be racist, but I'm sure I stereotype occasionally. (Usually mine has to do with appearance, but what can I say... I'm not perfect.)

Anyway... Honestly? If I have an emergency, and I need the police? I DO.NOT.CARE. what color their skin is, whether their eyes slant up down or not at all, if they have pronounced cheekbones or a baby face. Are they capable? If they can't pass a test (the original passing score, by the way, was 63) - then how in the HECK can I trust them to make a decision about my LIFE?! If they got a 50% does that mean I only have half a chance of surviving?!

:soapbox: hopping down now...

susiestar

Roll With It
This is just sick. THe test score thing doesn't surprise me. Be aware that there is a LOT of bias written into standardized tests - the SAT, ACT, GMAT, etc... truly ARE biased against lower socioeconomic groups. DOn't know about these tests but it is really EASY to write a biased test - esp if the test taker hasn't had some sort of class (tests in a school like a math or spelling test have alower chance of this bias).

I still think the test results should have been kept, unless they can explain to the people what the bias was in the testing - with examples.

The treatment of the disabled, esp minors who "look" normal, is disgusting in this country.