Speech therapy is torture

susiestar

Roll With It
I just have to say this. Your Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) is a total frimpin' idiot. how in the H does he think that learning sight words is teaching V nothing about language? How many babies learn that the word 'bottle' means they get a drink? How many respond to this by age 6 mos? They cannot say it but they CAN understand and respond to it. Heck, I have known kids who were saying what sure as sugar sounded like 'baba' if they saw a bottle by age 5-6 mos. Not brilliant child prodigies, kids that are normal in intelligence.

How in the world would ANYONE learn language if they had to learn the letters before the words? Maybe not writing the letters but they learn the meanings and then they start to put some meaning to the letters - to put a sound to the spoken letter name, then to put the sound to the written letter.

There is no relevant MEANING to the letters and the pictures that V is drawing whne he writes/copies the letters for the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP). He is simply attempting to copy a what may seem like a scribble to him. Even if you learned to READ by phonics, you already knew the meaning of words because you learned those through life. If you didn't know the meaning of the word, then you would have NO relevant meaning to assign to the word, and even less to the individual letters.

Either this man is not properly trained to work with children as young as V is, much less as young as his developmental age, he has decided to use some method that he created and this is some experiment that he is wanting to write papers or books about (that is stupid and will never work with ANY child unless they already know the meaning of the words he is wanting them to write), or someone lobotomized all the knowledge he used to have out of his brain sometime between when he learned how to work with kids nad be a certified Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) and when he started working with V. I could probably work up a convincing argument for any of these, but in my opinion it is probably the "I want to create my own wheel/method and become famous for revolutionizing Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) for the world because this booooooring way that kids loathe and refuse will give me much acclaim after I bully a few carefully chosen kids through this hideous process.

in my opinion it is time for a new Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) and to register a complaint that this idiot is refusing to work with proven methods that are appropriate for V's developmental needs. Even if he is his own boss, you can complain to your insurance co (even if it is medicaid or it is paid for by the state) and to whatever board certifies SLPs.

The ONLY thing that I can see this man's methods accomplishing is to make V actively refuse to ever want anything to do with SLPs, reading, writing and other uses of language, esp written language.

I would probably apologize to V and tell him that you know the man is a booooooooring idiot who is just not smart enough to make things fun and interesting for V. I had a few tdocs and other workers who got really upset when I would apologize to Wiz for their idiocy/stupidity after they had pulled some totally ridiculous thing like this and gotten all angry with him for not dong things their way. Maybe it isn't right, but after I would privately try to work things out with the adult and they continued to refuse to use ANY sense and the basic principles of their field, well, I figured my kid deserved an apology for wasting his (Wiz's) time and effort. I never purposely did it in front of the provider/'expert', but some of them overheard me apologizing if Wiz was really upset or hurt because something the adult did conveyed the opinion that Wiz was the stupid one. I felt Wiz had a right to know that some adults just don't really know what they are doing, and that the adult was wrong when they made Wiz feel bad about it.

BusynMember

You know, speech is not just about words though. I was reading a few other posts and it reminded me that both Sonic and a foster baby we had started speech in infancy. The ST worked with their tongues a nd how to use them correctly. Does V. understand what you are saying to him, but he just can't articulate or is he hampered in both ways? My son knew what we were saying to him, but did not speak in sentences until he was four. Some kids don't even understand what is being said to them.
Sonic would compensate by pulling us around to show us what he needed or wanted. He grunted a lot and made noises. When he did speak, he copied what he heard, often on television. The speech therapist did not want him to get frustrated by his lack of language so sh e taught him some signing, which helped stop raging. It was strange...once he started speaking in sentences, it was like he had always been able to do it.
Make sure your SLT understands his issues. Has anyone evaluated him so that his issues could be presented to her? All kids with speech issues are different. To me, one thing at a time makes sense. Get him to speak, then teach him the letters and sounds.

susiestar

Roll With It
MWM, you are exactly right from my limited understanding of Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) ssues. I am having a super hard time trying to figure out exactly how the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) cannot see that this is V;s problem. Around here there are a lot of kids who still cannot write more than a few letters going into first grade. They are exposed earlier, but if they cannot do it, they sure are not expected to have to learn phonics right away. It has to be clear to the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) that V has not got a clue what he is talking about when he is talking about a specific letter. The problems wth saying the words also ahve to be clear, at least to some extent. That is why this seems so baffling and like the guy has his own agenda here.

Heck, we had a friend who's fourth child created his own language. His sisters understood it, esp the one five years older than he was, so as long as she was home he didn't NEED to speak English. It wasn't a few sounds that stood for something - it was a language. This was identified when he was almost two and he got free in home Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) and free Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) every day at a subsidized daycare so that this could be addressed very early. It really helped but no one ever said he HAD to learn the to read and write the letters before he could say the sounds and basic words and understand basic words. My cousins who lived around the corner from us in OH had twins who did the same thing and we finally got them into Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) at age 3 1/2 through the child find program and they made progress but at 5 could in NO way do what this Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) is demanding that V do. They learned SPOKEN language and they learned to comprehend and speak basic words before they were expected to do any writing. It wasn't until age 7 or 8 that there was ANY real demand for them to write letters that other people could understand. I just cannot figure out WHY it is soooo all important to this Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) for V to do written language work before he is doing spoken language and before he is COMPREHENDING language clearly. because that seems to be a part of the problem - cannot speak clearly to be understood and cannot clearly understand what people want of him.

Buddy, have you ever heard of demands like this being placed on a child who is having problems with speaking the language, with understanding spoken language, and who is developmentally behind in language the way V is??? It truly seems bizarre and in my opinion is a recipe for V becoming aggressive with this man and his demands. I think the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) is pretty lucky that V hasn't bitten him by now. NOT that V is violent, but any kid in that situation would be so frustrated that it would be a totally normal, expectable reaction, in my opinion. I have to say that if Jess were a kid in the room that was 5 like V she would probably have told the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) to stop being such and idiot and possibly hit him herself FOR V. She would not fight back for herself, but she would have no problems doing it to give a break to another kid that she thought was being picked on unreasonably, esp a kid who had a hard time expressing himself or understanding the person making the demands.

DammitJanet

You just said something that gave me pause. You said he has some word retrieval problems. I have a huge case of word retrieval issues going on. My family calls me the queen of the whatchamacallit and thingamajig. I am forever going umm, that thing that goes with the you know, it goes round and round, then you hammer it, etc. I use my hands a lot too. Basically we play a lot of games of charades in my house.

I was somewhat bad before my meningitis but after it I got ten times worse. I can really feel for him. For me, it is easier if I write things because I can take my time to just wait for the word to come to me. Sometimes even then it doesnt even if I am trying to get a post written quickly. You will see me describe things in parenthesis.

Is V on any medications? If so, some can cause this. If not, this can be a sign of a problem in the brain. I dont think its simply a speech issue. I dont have any other speech issues other than this and I am convinced it is something to do with the brain. I dont think a speech therapist could correct it because it has to come from my memory first.

InsaneCdn

Janet... here's another word for you to forget (LOL)

It's called dysnomia - difficultly retrieving "names" or words... It's on the list of "learning disabilities". Can be caused by other things (Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), for example).

InsaneCdn

Ktlc...
I'm wondering if part of this poor Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)'s problem is a lack of exposure to "complex" kids.
If V were simply developmentally delayed, with some MR thrown in for example - a "simple" kid, the repetitive approach may well work.
But... V is intellegent, with complex issues that frustrate V (not just everybody around him). V is smarter than the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) - and the poor Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) doesn't see that. He sees "not smart".

Does that make sense?
V needs people around him who can help with his disabilities... while using his abilities to advantage.

buddy

Buddy, have you ever heard of demands like this being placed on a child who is having problems with speaking the language, with understanding spoken language, and who is developmentally behind in language the way V is??? It truly seems bizarre and in my opinion is a recipe for V becoming aggressive with this man and his demands.

I actually had a speech therapist who worked with Q in K who was very much like this and because it was a school Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) I was STUCK so I reduced his time and upped his private time. I believe, Ktllc, that YOU are being a much better Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) than the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)! You are looking at whatever means of communication and interests that V can relate to and using it. THAT is the ticket. Communication is the issue here and those underlying processing issues are what will eventually influence the learning of phonics etc. Using developmentally appropriate activities to achieve that, like pictures plus words etc... and Marg is right, you CANT stop a kid who is into that from using it! Signs on buildings are what I swear taught Q to read. He loves those kinds of things and he is not even a high reader. IT is just his interest and helped him to achieve HIS level of performance.

I think you Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) sounds like he is saying book things and hasn't yet put his book learning together with the big picture of child development and the variety of unique issues that many kids can have. He may mean that just rote learning a word will not make him a socially competent communicator in and of itself, but that is not the point. You are not saying if he learns to sight read words he will have no issues, you are gathering all of his language strengths and using them to move things along. (SO it seems to me when I read your posts anyway)....

Really, we do need to put together a series of "through the parents' eyes" seminars for every profession that touches our kids. Sometimes it is just too much to take!

I hope you can find another Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) who is more seasoned and understands auditory and language processing issues better. There sounds like there might be other formulation issues (whether word finding or a hard time sequencing the words or ??? lots of reasons) that the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) should be watching for and supporting.

V is lucky to have such an aware mom. If any kid is going to make progress you bet your bottom dollar it will be V!

What you described with singing is EXACTLY what Q went through. He is only NOW learning about clapping to the beat of the music (check out metronome therapy, it is well researched, not considered off the beaten trail or anything...it is really crazy, Q can now bounce a ball and even bounce it to another person and catch with either hand because he has been bouncing it to the beat they set....it is really cool) THose kinds of temporal lobe issues are all tied together. Rhythm, language processing etc... (both rt. and lt sided) so it makes sense he is having these issues neurologically. If you can, there are cd players that allow you to SLOW the speed of music (they also sell slower music but why not get all the music he likes slower???). I literally had to sing at the pace of a word every second for Q to hear it...imagine row......row.......row...... your.......boat..... OH MY WORD...but he loved it and could actually sing! He also never watched cartoons or movies because they said nothing to him...he is now starting to understand but of course he can watch things over and over then finally get it.

There is so much going on here... and really it seems he is jumping the gun to work on phonics with V (IF I am understanding what he is doing right). I think you are saying your concerns are more that he is not processing, and it seems like much of it is related to speed of processing right now (which can influence all the types of processing issues) so if slowing it is one thing that works, then for sure go for it.

by the way, we used lots of pics on rings too....we did not do PECS but rather supportive pictures to help clarify when rules were hard to understand or directions or when he needed to use them to ask for things. We also used pictures of different emotional faces plus the words to help teach and express emotions.

Marguerite

If you can't find another Speech Language Pathologist (SLP), then re-train this one. It can be done. The end result, if it works, is a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) who then is far more useful to the next off the wall kid who comes their way.

Marg

Ktllc

I will have a conversation with him tomorrow and hopefully he will be receptive. I would not call him an idiot (although I get your point!). He is very dedicated but has a hard time getting V engaged. The Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) is actually very awkward socially. Make you wonder LOL But I can deal with that. I don't believe V is bothered by it. The activities just need to be more fun and hands on.
Sweet Pea's Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) is booked right now but will let me if he become avaliable, just in case.
To be continued...