Spring

nerfherder

Well, last year we had our last frost on June 10th. Despite that, the entire valley had an amazing, huge bumper crop of apples. Including our orchard! Gallons of sauce in the root cellar. Finished crabapple season with 98 pints of Crabapple Salsa. We use it a lot, great on fried eggs. :)

I know spring is coming, because the goats kept coming! :)

Sunrise still runs around 20*F through 32*F. Snow is rarely an issue, as this is basin/range high desert. It's not supposed to get below 32 tonight, so I'm leaving the greenhouse open - it's good for the lettuce, greens and peas to get some chill, keeps the produce sweet. We don't plant anything tender in the ground while there's still snow on the tallest peak in the visible (to us) Stillwater Range.

Californiablonde

Well in the spring months we are usually in the sixties in California. To me that's COLD. Cold enough to wear a sweater. So I don't consider it warm till it hits the mid seventies at least. I prefer eightees but I will take seventies when I get it. Today it's a nice warm 79. Perfect spring weather. If only it would stay this way but I know it won't.

InsaneCdn

Today it's a nice warm 79. Perfect spring weather
Seventy Nine Degrees F???

CB, that ain't spring, sorry.
That is hotter than we get for most of summer!
Ok, we do get a few days that go into the 80s. I've seen one or two hit 90. But the key word is FEW.

If you want to see real spring, come up here and I'll hand you a shovel... and it isn't for dirt, either, although at this time of year it's sometimes hard to tell the difference. We have several snow "mountains" that need moving so the run-off doesn't cause skating rinks in the wrong places... because here, "spring" = "run-off".

SuZir

I'm with IC. When it is 79 here (and it is at times, last year we had 6 days when it got almost that warm (over 77), usually have little more) we tend to complain, that it is too hot to do anything. If it gets to 90 F we are about sure we die because of the extreme heat. Though most did survive in the end, even when we once had almost two weeks close to 90 F weather few years ago.

Last edited:

Californiablonde

I don't do well in cold weather so I am thankful I grew up and still live in Southern California. People complain in the summer that it gets too hot but I love it. I love laying out at the pool and getting a tan. I love wearing shorts, tank tops, and flip flops. I am not a cold weather person at all. So I guess I consider myself lucky for living where I do.