Squash recipe for people who don't like squash

Discussion in 'Recipe Archives' started by muttmeister, Oct 31, 2004.

1. muttmeister

muttmeister Well-Known Member

I've made this recipe for years and have gotten lots of compliments and recipe requests. Just thought I'd share as it seemed appropriate for this time of year and I was sending a copy to my cousin so I thought I'd post it here.

Gourmet Golden Squash
    Peel and cube squash (about 1" cubes) to make 6 cups squash. The best kinds of squash to use for this recipe are Butternut or Hubbard. Place squash in saucepan with small amount of boiling, salted water. Cover; cook 15 minutes or until tender. Drain squash and add
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1 teapoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 cup milk
    Mash all together. Mound in 1 quart casserole. Bake in 400 degree oven 20 to 30 minutes or until heated. Serves 6

The funniest thing happened when I served this at a big dinner. One lady came to the kitchen and asked me for the recipe for the "cheese souffle." I couldn't figure out what she was talking about and I told her, "I didn't make a cheese souffle." She said, "You know, that orange stuff." When I told her it was squash, she said, "Never mind, we don't like squash."
  2. joybells

joybells New Member

Thanks for sharing this recipe with us, it sure sounds good.
    Maybe Fran will save this one, as it will be good for Thanksgiving & Christmas as well as the winter months.

{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}
    Joy xoxoxo
  3. Fran

Fran Former Site Owner

Sounds wonderful Nan. I love squash. I know it will go into MY personal recipe archives.
  4. isitbedtimeyet?

isitbedtimeyet? New Member

I;ve printed the recipe as it does sound delicious and I love squash. The kids don't usually like it, but this just may do the trick!
    Thanks!
    Nancy