Squatter from H*ll got another month!!!!

TerryJ2

I knew she'd fanagle it somehow. The squatter in my cousin's NYC apt went to court again and specifically asked for a different judge, who gave her until July 28 to get out.
Apparently the first judge heard about it and was really mad.
She knows how to work the system, for sure.
It makes me feel a teensy bit better, having been suckered by her, that she can sucker judges, too. I am not alone.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I read the subject line and thought - WHAT?!

She asked for a new judge? Geez, it took us a lawsuit and several other motions to get our judge to recuse himself.

H

HaoZi

I hope the judges talk to each other and don't allow it to happen again. Is there any retaliatory action that can be taken against her for that?

seriously

yes, she certainly did work the system. hopefully the judges will pass the word so she doesn't do it again.

sorry this is continuing to drag on.

at least you can prove that YOU are doing everything in your power to get her the heck out of there.

Mattsmom277

Wow, I'm shocked! Shouldn't you have been given notification of a new hearing? I'd be screaming like a mad woman by now. Any chance you can get money for rent for time spent this far along into her "squatting"?

H

HaoZi

Maybe Star and I should go over and turn the living room into a dance floor with chalk outlines and ghosts.

Star*

call 911........call 911
LOL Haozi,

But seriously Terri - I would write the judge that gave her until July 28th and say

Your honor - this is not MY money this is my elderly, feeble, AUNTS money and this woman is TAKING advantage of a SERIOUSLY SENIOR citizen and HER money - this has to stop. She is RIPPING OFF GRANDMA. THen CC the first judge and the second judge and get them to both notify this woman THIS IS IT! I'd be there on July 25th (MOnday) find a place to stay and go to the courts and make SURE that by that THURSDAY there was no audience or petition with the courts DAILY filed by her. IF there were? I'd make sure I was in court to CONTEST IT.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and Witz is right - she's bucking for Fall cold weather. I'd also contact her and tell her YOU WILL BE THERE....to be ready and GET OUT.

H

HaoZi

Who is the actual property owner right now? If it's your aunt, can she have the fuse box ripped out? Half the plumbing removed? Anything to make it useless to stay there? Take out all the appliances. Remove the window glass. Decide to redecorate by demolishing a few walls.

TerryJ2

It's actually the other way around--we had a buyout from the landlord/aka owner, and he is subtracting rent from the money we would be getting, for ea mo he cannot get the squatter out. So our buyout is getting smaller and smaller. It would have paid for almost 5 mo's of her care down here. So far he has mailed me one check, which paid for a bit over one month. Sigh.
Supposedly, the sheriff was supposed to come by, and they were going to force her out. What a bunch of wusses.
The squatter has no money at all, and I suspect she is conniving enough to "borrow" money for food from "friends," as well.
I have no idea if I can legalyl write to the judges. Would that be considered tampering? I will ask a lawyer.

witzend

You don't write any of the judges in this matter. You write the Presiding Judge. He's the one who decides who hears the case. Then he knows who can and can not hear this case and why. Are you sure that the landlord isn't in cahoots with her? He gets to keep the money and the client while he is remodeling until he's ready to get to her apartment.

donna723

... so in other words, the landlord is actually profiting from the squatter still being there because he's collecting rent money on an apartment that otherwise would be sitting empty! It's no wonder that she's still there ... and your aunt is paying her rent!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
It always makes me wonder why people who are so crafty to exist on loopholes in a system can't make thousands of legit dollars....

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'd find out what you could do LEGALLY then -and do it to make her as uncomfortable as you can. THEN DO IT.

TerryJ2

I hate NY. I hate NY. I hate NY. I hate NY. I hate NY. I hate NY. I hate NY. I hate NY. I hate NY. I hate NY. I hate NY. I hate NY.

P.S. This guy has never met the squatter. He is not in cahoots with-her, but he is certainly making the best of a bad situation, financially.

H

HaoZi

I bet if he had to pay your aunt in full and the squatter was his problem he'd find a way to solve it fast.