SSI disability - Dude turned down

DDD

Hey. Do you have the web site that describes the various disabilities and what the criteria is for approval? Somebody posted it a few years ago and I still have it, I think. Using an attorney is a good idea in my humble opinion. DDD

DammitJanet

I was probably the one who posted that. Its somewhere on the SS website. I had like 2 of the top 4 conditions listed and they still turned me down! I actually had the judge at my hearing tell me that THEIR doctor recommended me for approval in 03 but the agency went against him and denied me anyway. That is why he went back and approved me back to then. Nice judge. If I remember right, I applied in 02...late 02. Saw their doctor in 03..was denied. Then I gave up and tried to find a job again in 04 but that didnt work. So in 05 I reapplied. Or maybe it was late 04...cant remember exactly. I finally got approved in May 07. But they went back to March 03.

BusynMember

I GOT it the first time and here's how:
Rather than going in to tell them how disabled I was (knowing they wouldn't listen) :tongue: I had all my medical records for them going back to the microfilm they still had from 1977. There are certain words that generate almost instant "yes." One is bipolar. Another is "cognitive disabilities not otherwise specified." I don't know the other ones, but I had no trouble. I think it's hard to get SS with PTSD, ADHD and CD. They want to think you are incapable of EVER working. I also had a long history of failed jobs, plus a Job Assement, which said I'd need a Job Coach, but that there isn't one. Still, I don't present as being disabled.

Can't tell you how shocked I was when I got my letter! :surprise: They must *really* think I'm a hopeless case...hehe.

Fran

Former desparate mom
It's difficult to know what they need from the applicant.
We didn't start the process until 21 which I think helped as well as copies of all the school records, evaluations and doctors reports.
Telling the doctor that our hope was that this would help until the time difficult child would be more independent. If that happened or protect difficult child if something happened to us.

N

Nomad

I agree with- the others...what Fran says was particularly familiar to me/our family.
Our adult child had a long paper trail that helped. We also didn't apply until she was over 18.
We told her doctor that we wanted to help her be more independent. And we were feeling drained by it all.
We knew with- her disabilities she needed help. "Help" is a key word here.
Again, we stressed that it was our hope that disability would help her move towards independence.