Ssi

crazymama30

So I applied for ssi for difficult child, he qualified medically but last I knew they were working on the financial piece........i just tok then more info friday.

I got a check in the mail. From ssi(i assume) made put to difficult child in care of me.

I had no idea I was getting this.

crazymama30

yes it is, but what is the deal with the mystery check? I would think they would let you know before they give you money. guess I should not look the gift mail box in the mouth, huh

T

TeDo

I would call to make sure the check is legit since they are still working on the financial part. I would hate for you to have to pay them back because of a "computer" error. But then again, I always err on the side of caution. LOL

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hmm. When Onyxx & Jett got their death benefit, it was directly deposited - from the first. About 2 days after, we got a notice that it would be... LOL!

buddy

even if it is a mistake, once they calculate the payments, they would just deduct it. you know he is approved so I would feel comfortable cashing it. your choice though.

crazymama30

Buddy I am thinking like you. I an just confused as to why I got it, but if I csll and ask they may take it away.

Fwiw, its only $60, but $60 is $60.

DammitJanet

Unless you had given them your banking information up front they would have no way to direct deposit it. Is the check from the US Treasury Dept? Does it say SSI on check? It should I believe.

crazymama30

Janet......check does say ssi on it. I called the local office and the last I am working with did not know I dropped off papers on friday. I did not mention the check and neither did she she was going to find the spars and get back to me.

lmf64

Right by where it says SSI (either beside or below) it should say payment for xxxxx(time period)l. If it does the check is legit payment.

pajamas

I don't have experience with SSI specifically, but with other SSA checks.

When I was young, naive & broke, I had to repay $$$ in death benefits that were accidcentally overpaid, and SSA's answer was basically, "it never was yours to begin with, so give it over." Not ugly about it, just the facts in their role of protecting taxpayer dollars.

If it was a mistake, in all likelihood they will figure it out at some point, probably as part of some internal audit - could be years. When they do figure it out, they will want it back regardless of the amount or how long it's been. If it's direct deposit, they may just take it back. You'll get a notice, but it probably won't arrive before the money leaves. For $60, it's (probably? I hope?) not a big deal, but if it starts adding up, you should get someone to check into it.

crazymama30

Actually it was ok, I ended up calling and checking and it was $30 a month they give the recipient while they are in a facility for incidentals.

I already got my january payment. It seems odd, like it is not real. I keep thinking it is going to go away amd I am not going to have it anymore