SST meeting tom..what to expect & bring?

serenityprayer

Hi everyone,

I have started the IEP ball rolling for my difficult child and they scheduled a SST meeting tomorrow. I looked up a previous thread about that on this forum but it did not give any advice on the actual meeting.

2 questions for all you smart & savvy difficult child moms/dads:

What do I bring to the SST meeting?

What should I expect?

Thanks so much!

God bless you all.....may you all have a good week! Hard to come by!!!! ;)

JJJ

SST must be an abbriviation used by your area. We could give better advice if you'd tell us what it means.

justour2boys

Momto2Boys
I've been to several for my boys.... SST is Student Study Team. I'm in northern CA.

It is a meeting to introduce all the members of the team, gather background information about the child and the current concerns at school. You should also be given paperwork detailing your rights.

The team members are usually the parent(s), principal, classroom teacher, Special Education/resource teacher, school psychiatric and speech and/or Occupational Therapist (OT). We also had a school audiologist in attendance (but was useless!).

Our school district has the SST outline/format on-line, so check your school district. If not, you could call and ask for a blank copy. So you can be prepared for the information they will be looking for.

The school will have their file, but I would bring an outline of your childs background/history. We also brought copies of outside medical professional tests and reports.

At the close of our meetings I received a copy of the completed SST form (which is like meeting minutes) and a copy of the testing consent form (which we discussed).... this started the "clock" rolling for testing.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

JJJ

Oh, those! It seems every year they change the name here. I would make a list of your concerns in the following areas as they impact his educational experience (academically, socially, and behaviorally)

Gross Motor
Fine Motor
Sensory
Reading
Writing
Math
Social Skills
Speech/Language
Health
Behavior

This is the meeting when the decide what areas they are going to assess.

serenityprayer

Oh so sorry!!!!!! SST=Student Success Team

Thanks so much!!!!!!!! That is great information.......I truly appreciate it!!!!!! ;) I will try to look it up on our district website again, could not find anything but that does not mean its not there!!! :tongue:

Thanks so much for all your help...that will be very helpful and I will gather that info if I find nothing else. At least I will have that!!!! :) I will type it out and make copies too. It is all so new to me...it will be a learning process for sure!!!!!!

Have a great evening everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

serenityprayer

I was able to find the training manual pdf for the SSTeam LOL!!!! It is a big packet manual given to each teacher/admin/Special Education on the team and each team is different depending on the school and grade. I found out there is an SST2 as well...which is the next appointment ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually, I did much better with info here of course!!!!!!

You are all amazing!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope today is a better day for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!